Tesla Gigafactory 3 & 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla Gigafactory 3 & 4

Gigafactory 4: Germany, for European markets, to be announced in a few months. They're interested in Emden or Emsland, both in Lower Saxony.

Gigafactory 3 in Shanghai, China, broke ground last December and test production should start in late September or October. Model 3 and the the Model Y crossover, for Chinese and Asian markets. Batteries from LG Chem and Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Ltd (CATL).

It's in a Free Trade Zone, and there may be more Chinese Gigafactories.

Shanghai Gigafactory 3 last month

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 August 2019, 21:06.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Also in the Tesla news:
    Tesla sued by Walmart because solar panels burn up on Walmart roof
    The supermarket chain had issued a lawsuit against Tesla over a series of solar panel fires.

Also with Amazon
    Walmart recently filed a lawsuit against Tesla after its solar panel installations on seven of the retail giant's stores caught fire. The retail corporation accused Elon Musk's company of poor safety practices, such as not grounding electrical systems properly and sending inspectors who "lacked basic solar training and knowledge." Now, Amazon, another massive corporation, has stepped forward to claim that the solar panels installed by Tesla's SolarCity division burst into flames, as well. According to Bloomberg, Tesla's solar panels caught fire on the roof of one of Amazon's warehouses in Redlands, California.

There was rumour (later denied) that VW was to buy Tesla
    Tesla shares jumped after reports, later denied, that Volkswagen planned to take a stake in the electric car pioneer, and analysts didn’t see much chance of a near-term deal.

Comment

Walmart wanted to amend their contract so that any future problems were paid for by Tesla, even if they were Walmart's fault.

Tesla told them, correctly, to take a hike.

2 days later, and after Tesla laid out why the declined, Tesla and Walmart released a joint statement that they'd work through their issues. No doubt with encouragement from the presiding judge.

Another issue is that Sam Walton's grandson Lukas Walton owns 21% of First Solar Inc, an excuse to cut ties with Tesla and engage in a little neopotism.

VW denied the rumor, but rumors persist they'd like a stake in Tesla and access to some of their tech - especially batteries. Given Dieselgate they need something, and fast.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 26 August 2019, 13:41.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

For now the cross between Chrysler Neon and Ford Mondeo is outselling Renault Zoe, BMW i3 and eGolf in Germany.
        First Semester 2020: Volkswagen, Renault, and Tesla were the best-selling electric car brands in Germany with the VW Golf, Zoe, and Model 3 the top-selling car models.

In Slovenia none of the Teslas are in top 6 models (1BMW i3,2 Renault Zoe, 3 eGolf)

VW has made a big push in electric and they are ready to have electric models across the range, Including Audi and other brands.

VW has more electric models than any other brand.

Diesel will still be popular because most people think they are saving money if they pay 3k more for a diesel car that has more expensive maintenance as long as it burns 1l fuel less per 100km and fuel is slightly cheaper (now Diesel costs nearly equal to Super 95). For example most of my coworkers commute less than 20km and most of them (~80%) drive diesels to work because torque, power and "savings". You only save with diesel if you do 30k km or more per year. I do 100km weekly trips (sometimes several times during week) but my commute and typical daily driving is is more suited to petrol which is very cheap to maintain. Even midsize and SUV Toyotas, Hondas and Mazdas here are diesel. Another problem with Diesels is turbine failures and exhausts particles filter. But diesels have their fans like pick up trucks do in USA.

Example 1.9 - 2L diesel usually has 150 HP. I know the diesel horses are not equal to gasoline horses but most people look at numbers only. Example, at the time I was driving 1.6 petrol Polo GTI with 125HP that did 0-100km (0-60miles) in 8s and was very sporty (redline at 7k RPM). If I saw a car coming from afar I knew I can merge since I'll be able to accelerate quickly to the speed limit/cruising speed of the road. Once I borrowed brother's Alfa GT - beautiful car - with 1.9JTD engine and 150 horses. Like with GTI I saw car coming some 150m (500') left and I merged. Before the diesel got to 1500RPM and the turbo started to spool up, it seemed like eternity and once I got some acceleration the coming car was already at safe distance behind me. So a naturally aspirated petrol 1.6 is better than 1.9 turbo diesel but the lower fuel consumption (6 vs 8 L/100km or 29 vs 39 mpg) and torque for driving uphill and city traffic sways most people to think diesel is better. Any fuel savings with diesels are eaten by higher maintenance cost and more expenses (unless you drive like 100km/60 miles per day) but people see litres at the pump and don't calculate TCO. Apart from minis like Clio, Polo, Yaris, Mazda 2, Peugeuot 200 half of midsize and larger cars are diesels. Also most of Mercedes and BMW are diesels (usually 2L) as something with more than 2.5L is considered a luxury car and is taxed more for registration. Something like Audi, BWM or Mercedes with more than 2L petrol is very rare.

The downside is that some cities are considering banning diesels and resale value may go down. So some diesel owners won't go diesel with their next car.
        Last edited by UtwigMU; 26 August 2019, 14:18.

Comment

The news in Detroit is that VW and GM are scrapping hybrids in favor of EV's, and VW's 2026 line will see their last generation of internal combustion engines,

Ford is building a large development center in Detroit for EV's and self-driving. Ford recently partnered with Rivian for their EV truck drive system, and are coming out with an electric F-150 pickup. Fiat Chrysler has also been making EV moves.
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 26 August 2019, 18:17.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

It's said Gigafactory 4 breaks ground in January.

Given the recent site selection, this must be some kind of record for the German regulatory agencies

Tesla-Gigafactory-4.jpg

1 battery and drive train assembly
            2 seat assembly
            3 final assembly
            4 paint shop
            5 central supply building
            6 high rack warehouse
            7 wastewater treatment
            8 body shell
            9 plastic stamping and foundry
            10 new train station
            11 test track
            12 delivery and collection
            13 staff parking lot
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 December 2019, 21:55.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
            X