Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 3800X Asus Tuf B450M-PRO Gaming Vega 64 Liquid Cooling Extravaganza ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TransformX View Post
    I think I'd move the radiator to the top of the case, this way the intakes will bring room temperature air into the case and hot air will be dissipated upwards and out of the case immediately.
    Tried to reply last night but internet on this PC was playing up.

I'm probably going to try and switch the fans around as a test at some point, that should show if its the temps or not.
    Funny thing is, even with the case open it does it.

It may be the thermal paste needs replacing on the GPU, or that just the CPU + GPU are too much.
    I managed a good hour or so of No Mans Sky yesterday, and then it just rebooted.
    Never get a bsod, just a straight up gzzzzz in the speakers, and a reboot.

CPU testing is fine, no problems there.
    Its only when the Vega is brought in to the mix...
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman View Post
      I had something similar happen on my home server. (set to never sleep)
      Could not get it stable, so I ran hwinfo to see if fans or heat issues....100% stable while hwinfo is running.

I think its was an idle power state issue, eventually found a stable video driver and it would not crash, next driver update it started crashing again.
      So my solution is just to run hwinfo at startup whenever I get a twitchy driver (krappy asus 250x video card)

Also the latest ryzens change power states a lot faster than previous cpu's and I don't think most mobo makers have it fully sorted yet.
      So hwinfo may be a decent stop gap solution if it is a bios issue, but apparently it has enough of a load to effect power states on an idle computer to effect temperatures.
      I am waiting for another bios update or 2 on my mobo before I upgrade my 1600x to a 3700x.
      I thought i saw some more stability when i set up HWInfo to log to file, but it rebooted while I was writing that...

I have HWInfo open all the time, or at least running.
      CPU never really goes above 77°C peak, 70's stable.
      GPU gets up to 60°C at the hotspot, but thats litterally the hottest reading for the GPU.

I'm also beleiving that the Bios is still not finalised yet.
      Apparently PBO for Ryzen 3000 will start to work properly from the next Bios, 1.0.0.4.

The Vega was working just fine before I switched the PC....i'll wait until the next Bios, and see whats up, and maybe do some more testing with the side off.

Getting nice boosts though.

In Stalker, single threaded, it goes up to ~4.6GHz, and all core while encoding, it was at ~4.3GHz all cores.
      Temps were 69-71°C CPU while encoding.
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

One big thing, Gaming has never been so smooth

The FreeSync range on this monitor is 40-144Hz.
        Works a real treat.
        Not had above 60Hz since i retired my huge CRT (thats still in the garage, just waiting for the ultimate MAME build...).

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
          I managed a good hour or so of No Mans Sky yesterday, and then it just rebooted.
          Never get a bsod, just a straight up gzzzzz in the speakers, and a reboot.
          That's probably your hardware being disgusted by the game
          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX View Post
            That's probably your hardware being disgusted by the game
            Lol, I actually quite like it, and have just repurchased it on GoG (also have it on Steam).

In all seriousness, Its not the temps though. Pretty sure of that.
            Checked the HWInfo logs, and nothing is out of spec.
            Windows Logs are about as useful as a blind bat "Your computer rebooted unexpectedly...."

Could do with a Graphics card testing tool, like Memtest.

Might give OCCT a go and see what that can do...

Comment

You can go full retard with FurMark...
              "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

I've won online auction for x-rite display callibrator, which means I can now get a nice monitor and after that I will build a powerful video/photo editing desktop and finally after like 15 years since my Parhelia dual AthlonXP triplehead system I'll have a powerful desktop again.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                  I've won online auction for x-rite display callibrator, which means I can now get a nice monitor and after that I will build a powerful video/photo editing desktop and finally after like 15 years since my Parhelia dual AthlonXP triplehead system I'll have a powerful desktop again.
                  Its a very good time to upgrade.
                  the prices haven't been this low, for this much power, for a long long time.

Comment

OK, so its been a few weeks.

I've finally come to the conclusion that its the GPU, and only the GPU, that is at fault.

Temps are not a problem at all, even with the air from the rad coming into the case from the front.

I reflashed the Video card Bios, for a more recent one, and so far it seems to be holding.

Ive left it on a Heaven loop and its not rebooted once (touch wood...).

Some GTA V, some No Man's SKy, all seems fine at the moment.

Kingdom Come and Asseto Corsa will give it a real test though

GPU is barely hitting 60°C at the hotspot temp, and the CPU is around 62-65°C, whilst gaming/benching.
                    (CPU running stock, and GPU overclocked.)

CPU is running sweet just stock.
                    Two cores hit 4.65GHz boost, and four others hit 4.6GHz.

Comment

Another update, still waiting for AGESA 1.0.0.4 to drop for my board.

Asus is taking their sweet time again...

I have gotten the Vega more stable, lol

Pulling the voltage down has helped a bit, though it still seems to find a way to boost to 1780MHz, or at least try to.
                      Gaming hovers around the 1660MHz point.

Manages GTA 5 now OK, NMS did give me one reboot, but not since.

Had a reboot with Stalker CoP, Misery 2 Mod, but i've been playing with the config files, and didn't keep backups of the originals, so it could have been me (I over did it last night and I'm going to have to reinstall the misery Mod, and maybe the whole game. Make backups before you modify files!!)

Have also been updating the Video drivers as I go, so maybe that helped.
                      There's also been quite a few Windows updates, its a pretty fresh system, so it alls goes smoothly there.

Will have to try some Kingdom Come, and see if its stable in that this evening if I have time...don't always notice the icon on the taskbar.

edit : (I've barely started Kindom Come, it crashed during the first bit, but I did have it set to the maximum setings, lol.
                      very low fps, but not a stutter fest).
                      Last edited by Evildead666; 24 November 2019, 10:38.

Comment

So, 1.0.0.4 AB dropped.
                        It installed fine.
                        It automatically reset all the settings, so I took the time to set the memory properly, and actually have it slightly tighter than before.
                        All core boost is up a hundred or so, and single core is down by 50 or so.
                        I'm fine with that.

GPU is almost stable, but really waiting for big navi, and a pre-watercooled card, like the Powercolor Liquid Devil.
                        A 5700XT would be a side/upgrade from a Vega64, but i'll wait.

GPU is sitting at 1660-1670MHz during gaming.
                        Not rebooting anymore, just drivers failing.
                        Kindom Come, and Assetto Corsa have done it so far.
                        Will have to see if the voltage or whatever is respnisble for that.

Also looking at transitioning to a MSI Meg Unify ATX board, and a 3/4U server case.
                        Might build my own 19" rack on wheels on the cheep.

edit : Yeah, ended up getting a Thermaltake Core W200.
                        Two full ATX systems in one huge case, on wheels.
                        Last edited by Evildead666; 1 December 2019, 03:11.

Comment

Reminds me of the Lian li D600.
                          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Yeah, looks a lot like it.
                            Probably Steel though, its 30Kg

The Lian Li will have been Aluminium, i think.

Comment

Also ended up getting the add-on for the case, the P200, so I can have all the watercooling etc, external from the main case.

Comment

What with covid and all that crap, not been gaming much, if at all.
                                Still have the bloody benchmark itch though.

The WP-200 is in the UK at the moment, in storage (sent it home with my parents stuff when they moved back to the UK this summer, as i have no room for it here).
                                The MSI X570 MEG has gone to a friend, who has yet to boot it up, even though I gave him a 2700X as well. He doesn't have any DDR4, I might end up getting that as well and having him just give me cash back.

Just ordered a 5800X last week for the Asus B450M board. The Bios is able to accept it.
                                Might send it back though after CES (unopened of course) if the 3D VCache 6000 series are AM4 compatible.
                                The 7000 series are almost certainly DDR5, so AM5.

It's going to be fun taking it all apart again.
                                At least i'll be able to check the CPU thermal paste, and see if it had a good contact.
                                It still hits low 70's at peak, which is more than I want, but not sure if I can do anything about, hence the CPU change.
                                The 5800X can drop voltage on individual cores, whereas the 3800X has one voltage plane for all cores. If one core is running full power, they all are, even if clocks are low on them.

Roll on (Virtual, again) CES 2022

Comment

Working...
                                X