View Poll Results: Would you participate in a COVID-19 vaccine test?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

4 50.00%
  • NO

4 50.00%

Thread: Would you participate in a COVID-19 vaccine test?

Default Would you participate in a COVID-19 vaccine test?

What if this is the one? Would you chance it? What can possibly go wrong? What should I expect?
    This is the way.

Being "in the business" I've taken part in vaccine trials before, many medical folks have. My hesitation now is because of my age, 71, and a comorbidity; adult-onset diabetes (LADA). Even if the vaccine worked and C-19 didn't make me ill my wife would shoot me.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Depends on who is running it.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

You know, doesn't matter who makes the vaccine Umfriend, because as said previously, even if the vaccine worked and C-19 didn't make me ill my wife would shoot me. I know all too well. But I would try it.
    This is the way.

Quote Originally Posted by ZokesPro View Post
    You know, doesn't matter who makes the vaccine Umfriend, because as said previously, even if the vaccine worked and C-19 didn't make me ill my wife would shoot me. I know all too well. But I would try it.
    Well, I don't want to get this political but if it were a trial touted by Trump without sensible backing by science (yes, I am looking at you, hydroxychloroquine) then no. I voted yes just now but with some caveats.

Edit: I would easily take part in a trail that works off of vaccins against the four common human Corona virusses. There is a suspicion that being infected by one also protects, at least somewhat, to some of the other four. Hell, hit me with all four live and I might be immune from Sars-Cov-2 for a few years.
    Last edited by Umfriend; 17th May 2020 at 00:37.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Quote Originally Posted by Umfriend View Post
    Well, I don't want to get this political but if it were a trial touted by Trump without sensible backing by science
    >
    Time to get over the TDS. Trump largely mentioned HCQ because of early results from two major MI hospitals who had treated 1,400 patients in March.

FDA trials on several US vaccine candidates started almost immediately after the DNA analysis was released in Jan/Feb. Moderna's trial has applied to move to Phase 2 because it's so promising. This is an mRNA vaccine.

This was one reason the US Task Force implemented "Operation Warp Drive" - to accelerate the pre-production paperwork and start massive production even before final approval is given. This involves earlier than usual application for production and inspection if the facility. Working in parallel rather than the usual series.

The plan is to have millions of doses ready to go as soon as a candidate vaccine is approved. Once the word is given the plan is to leverage US DoD assets, including the USAF Mobility Command, for wide distribution.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18th May 2020 at 01:43.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

No TDS here. I just recognize a bad president and administration when I see one.

And yes, I am hopeful about the various serious vaccine projects out there, including those in the US. If the US put their minds to something there is little that can stop them. And there are others working hard on this as well. Some J&J subsidiaries are Dutch (Crucell, Janssen vaccines) that are

Quote Originally Posted by Umfriend View Post
    No TDS here. I just recognize a bad president and administration when I see one.

And yes, I am hopeful about the various serious vaccine projects out there, including those in the US. If the US put their minds to something there is little that can stop them. And there are others working hard on this as well. Some J&J subsidiaries are Dutch (Crucell, Janssen vaccines) that are
    I always thought Janssen was Belgian prior to being acquired by J&J.

Well what do you know....I think you're right. I only read about them because of their work on Covid-vaccines at the university of Leiden, hence I thought they were Dutch. I think they operate in both countries but the origin may well be Belgium, not sure, but I would bet on that now.

Thread Information