No announcement yet.

SpaceX Starship & Super Heavy booster [Raptor Vacuum breathes fire]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raptor is inexpensive. Most large engines cost in the $tens of millions...

Elon Musk ✓ @elonmusk
    Raptor cost is tracking to well under $1M for V1.0. Goal is <$250k for V2.0 is a 250 ton thrust-optimized engine, ie <$1000/ton
    ||
    It's all the "secondary" structure that concerns me, not engines & primary airframe

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Starship Mk1's modules have been de-mated. Easier to work on the upper fins, actuators, header tanks, plumbing, etc. on the ground.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The Boca Chica Mk1 propulsion module was moved onto an open framework steel platform. Maybe to give clearance for finishing landing leg work and get better ventilation?

Time lapse,

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 October 2019, 20:01.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Timi's at it again, 2k-3.8k hires renders at the link. 1280w sample below. Musk 'liked' them.

Kimi Talvitie @kimitalvitie
          New renders of #Starship and #Superheavy. Quite a sight.

Think I've outdone myself here, especially on the inflight one.

IMG_20191005_124120-1280.jpg

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

LC-39A Starship upgrades; Phase 1 (main image) and Phase 2 (insert, at Phase 1's pad location). Renderings by two of NSF's graphics creators.

Phase 1 construction is happening now.

Jay L. DeShelter @jdeshetler
            Construction of Starship 39A launch & landing facility picking up the pace.

https://t.co/vpV6pX4tZX

Illustration by Jay DeShetler/Mack Crawford.

https://t.co/YFRXjvRHhV

IMG_20191007_151930.jpg

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Boca Chica road and beach closures due to SpaceX activity, no idea what yet.

Wednesday October 23 through Friday October 25

1300-2100 Eastern each day
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The "concept" is the development of docking connectors for the propellant transfer lines.

SpaceX has already developed spacecraft docking hardware & software for Crew Dragon.

If SpaceX wants its next spacecraft to reach the moon, Elon Musk says it'll need to be refueled in orbit around Earth – and NASA wants to know more.

If SpaceX wants its massive next-generation spacecraft to reach the moon and planets beyond, CEO Elon Musk says it'll need to be refueled in orbit around Earth - and NASA wants to know more.
                >
                To further the technology, NASA recently awarded SpaceX a $3 million contract to study the concepts, Administrator Jim Bridenstine said during a joint press conference with Musk on Friday.
                >
                "Starship is a really big vehicle," Bridenstine told FLORIDA TODAY on Thursday. "Being able to refuel it will be necessary to become a vehicle that can get to the moon."

"SpaceX can use it for their reasons and we can use it for our reasons,"
                >
                >
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 October 2019, 00:37.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

New drone video of Boca Chica's pad & build site construction.

They're working 3 shifts at both locations.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Cocoa, FL

Stacking Starship Mk4 (in yellow box)

John Winkopp @John_Winkopp
                    @SpaceX #Starship #MK4 stacking has begun 17 October 2019.

IMG_20191017_121332-stack mk4.jpg

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

CNBC has caught up

Michael Sheetz @thesheetztweetz
                      Aerial video taken today at SpaceX''s facility in Florida shows the first stainless steel bands of another Starship coming together, the second rocket under construction at the Cocoa site.

Read about it: cnbc.com/2019/10/17/spa…
                      Video: John Winkopp

Aerial video shows SpaceX beginning construction of another Starship rocket in Florida

SpaceX now has three of its next-generation Starship rockets under construction, as aerial video shows the latest developments at the company’s facility in Florida.

The first bands of stainless steel for another Starship rocket were put on a stand Thursday, and were captured in a video taken from a flying drone. Former commercial pilot John Winkopp took the video and gave CNBC permission to use his footage.

Starship is a massive rocket that SpaceX is developing to eventually launch cargo and people to the moon and Mars. The rocket is designed to be reusable so SpaceX can launch and land it multiple times, like a commercial airplane.

SpaceX is building three Starship rockets simultaneously: One in at its facility in Boca Chica, Texas and two at its facility in Cocoa, Florida.
                      >
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

KSC's LC-39A Starship pad is coming along nicely...

Julia Bergeron @julia_bergeron (Teslarati)

Starship facilities update! It appears the new landing pad is just about finished at 39A. The Phase One Starship pad should be added once the concrete cures. So, basically any day now we should see vertical progress. #Starship #39A
                        |
                        The new Robert's Road location is seeing some action as well. A mysterious bulkhead can be seen and the road leading in is being leveled. That will have to be ready for MK2 to be delivered as I suspect this will be where it will be prepped ahead of launch. #Starship

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 October 2019, 23:22.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

BIG storm hit Boca Chica. Poles down, major lightning, power outages, hurricane force winds (100+ kts), tornado over Boca Chica Village but no touchdown.

Starship Mk1's modules were undamaged, and SpaceX's Tesla Solar & PowerPack farms are providing power. Work re-started almost immediately. Landing leg mount being attached, via @BocaChicaGal

IMG_20191021_120808.jpg

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Mary @BocaChicaGal
                            A morning video from SpaceX, Boca Chica assembly. The work crew are busy preparing Starship Mk1 for it's trip to the launch site tomorrow.
                            @NASASpaceflight

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Mk1's propulsion module has gone to the pad for tests. Later, the cargo module and fins will be attached for first flight.

Moving from the build site to the new pad (time-lapse)

SPadre @SpacePadreIsle
                              One week until Starship’s fueling and systems tests begin at Boca Chica on Nov 7, from 12-8pm. 3 raptor engines to be installed and tested as well, then final assembly and...!!

IMG_20191031_231021.jpg
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Here we go - getting Mk1's cargo module ready to hit the road. Once it's at the pad for stacking they can start on making ring segments for Mk3.

Mary @BocaChicaGal
                                A canard is being attached to Starship Mk1's nosecone. @NASASpaceflight

EIUst5ZW4AESfgj.jpeg

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 November 2019, 22:49.
                                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                                X