SpaceX Starship & Super Heavy booster [Raptor Vacuum breathes fire]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Austin Barnard @austinbarnard45

SpaceX crews are hard at work today, as you can see in the photos down below. With the attachment of the first section of StarShip Fin, crews were also seen lifting and moving the replacement section of the nose cone. https://t.co/S8hJyf6PEo

IMG_20190921_132208.jpg

IMG_20190921_132212.jpg

IMG_20190921_132217.jpg

IMG_20190921_132221.jpg

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Doing the Starship mods will go fast because most of the mechanicals were built off-site and stored.

Julia Bergeron @julia_bergeron
      While @BocaChicaGal is watching fins, I see ground being broken and construction beginning at 39A for the Starship launch pad. I expect this is going to happen fast with Starship MK2 being moved soon. So much equipment in movement! #Starship #39A @elonmusk

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
        Austin Barnard @austinbarnard45

SpaceX crews are hard at work today, as you can see in the photos down below. With the attachment of the first section of StarShip Fin, crews were also seen lifting and moving the replacement section of the nose cone. https://t.co/S8hJyf6PEo

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6455[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6456[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6457[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6458[/ATTACH]

https://twitter.com/austinbarnard45/...57767915741184
        Sweet stuff

Its great to see the pics with humans in the view, so you get a good perspective of just how Huge this thing is.

The two holes on the first pic are for refueling I guess ? One for each tank ?
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
          Sweet stuff

Its great to see the pics with humans in the view, so you get a good perspective of just how Huge this thing is.

The two holes on the first pic are for refueling I guess ? One for each tank ?
          Manholes for servicing the LOX (top) and CH4 (bottom) tanks, the downcomer (top to bottom LOX line), and any internal equipment.

Propellant loading/unloading will be pad --> bottom of the Super Heavy booster ->> through the interstage --> into the Starship. These bottom-mounted propellant connectors will also be used for refuelling in orbit, via a Starship tanker variant. They'll "mate" tail to tail.

Q: will it be stacked by the 28th?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1175814780323545093

Elon Musk ✓ @elonmusk
          Yes. Theres a huge amount of hardware in the tip of the faring that being integrated on the ground, which is why we havent closed it out.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1175815628525060096

Elon Musk ✓ @elonmusk
          Nose tip has forward movable fins, cold gas attitude control thrusters, header tanks for landing, composite pressure vessels, several large batteries, etc. Placed up there to balance high mass of Raptors & rear fins at the bottom.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1175818733648003072

Elon Musk ✓ @elonmusk
          Stability is controlled by (very) rapid movement of rear & fwd fins during entry & landing, as well as ACS thrusters. The smaller leeward fin would simply be used as a leg.
          |
          Current analysis, which I'm not fully bought into, suggests that 2 rear fins with separate airframe-mounted legs will be lighter, so this is the plan for Mk1/Mk2

(Translation: 2 fins + hull mounted legs for now, maybe a 3rd fin/leg later)

https://twitter.com/kalzsom/status/1175821523954937857

@kalzsom
          Does this modification of the rear fin setup affect the fore (or top) fins or will they stay the same?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1175822175913283584

@elonmusk
          For aero control, it comes down to % of cross-sectional area moving vs not. Flexible as to whether front or rear, so long as within bounds of center of mass & pressure.

https://twitter.com/cptncrutch5373/s...23295977066497

@cptncrutch5373
          Could they not just shove the bottom fin back, shove the top fins forward, and wait until its the right way around, then fire the engines and move the fins back flat... seems logical to me...

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1175824881927278597

@elonmusk
          Approximately correct. We also fire the ACS thrusters to rotate the vehicle & ignite Raptors at full gimbal angle to complete the turn.
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 September 2019, 14:00.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Raptor, the first Full Flow Staged Combustion engine to ever fly.

FFSC's push 100% of their propellant mass out of the nozzle for maximum efficiency. No gas generator, etc.

This Raptor version isn't full grown, topping off at about 200-250 tonnes of thrust. It'll iterate, quickly, to about 300 tonnes

The Mk1 and Mk-2 Starships will start out with 3 sea level Raptors, 6 being the standard powerpack; 3 sea level and 3 vacuum. Vacuum Raptor, for use in space, has a much larger nozzle.

Up to 9 sea level Raptors could be used for specialized purposes - such as Earth-2-Earth transportation; 10,000 km in <30 minutes.

Raptor is highly scalable, so MUCH larger and smaller versions are possible.

Russia and the US tried to develop a FFSC engine in the 1960's and 2000's respectively, but they never left the test stand.

@austinbarnhard45
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 September 2019, 14:35.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The Raptors are already installed? 😁

Elon Musk ✓ @elonmusk
              Just leaving SpaceX Starship build site in Boca

[video at tweet]
              |
              Bottom half of Starship at night. Top half with forward fins & header tanks probably stacks on Wednesday. Three Raptors already installed. https://t.co/haq3m1V1Wm

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1176009047729954818
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 September 2019, 00:29.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

OK, so we're still all going to Mars, we'll just rename it "Musk" when we get there

edit : Or just pronounce it that way
                PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

It's like watching them build the Fireball XL5. In real time.

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
                    OK, so we're still all going to Mars, we'll just rename it "Musk" when we get there

edit : Or just pronounce it that way
                    In Werner von Braun's novel 'Project Mars: A Technical Tale' the leader of the Mars colony is called "The Elon."

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                      In Werner von Braun's novel 'Project Mars: A Technical Tale' the leader of the Mars colony is called "The Elon."

It was Destiny then LOL

Comment

The cargo module halves have been re-stacked, and a monster crane has lifted the propulsion module into Roll-Lift crawler-transporters. It's now being moved, and well past the cargo module. This may be final assembly, either here or at the pad. We'll see...

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 September 2019, 13:20.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

SPadre @SpacePadreIsle
                          Big yellow crane just arrived in position to lift the nose cone...

EFVuLykXkAALW6L.jpeg

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Note that this transporter did not cost $100m (SLS snark)

6 legs to be attached; one under each fin, two on the ventral (heart shield) side, two on the dorsal.

Hinges, actuators and fin joint cover fairings also to be added.

Elon Musk ✓ @elonmusk
                            On the transporter

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 26 September 2019, 00:53.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

It normally will have 6, 3 sea level and 3 vacuum, but it can use more if all are sea level engines (smaller nozzles). Only the center 3 can gimbal (steer), up to 15°.

Elon Musk √ @elonmusk
                              Three Raptors on a Starship

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 26 September 2019, 14:00.
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

HEADS UP

Dave Mosher ✔ @DaveMosher (Business Insider)

SpaceX should livestream Elon Musk's #Starship presentation from #BocaChica around 8 p.m. ET (7 p.m. CT/local) on Saturday. Exact event location: Not yet clear. But it has to be either at the company's work yard (near control center) or launch pad (near Boca Chica Beach).
                                7:57 PM - Sep 26, 2019

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                                X