Thread: Chess puzzle rush

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Chess puzzle rush

They've made supper addictive game of completing as many chess puzzles as possible in 5 minutes or before failing three times. Puzzles get progressively harder. It's so addictive it has made me subscirbe.

I got to 23 in my best attempt.
    https://www.chess.com/puzzles/rush

Heard about it, will try it someday. I am more into playing tournaments now and trying to study a bit.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Got 21 in my first run, was out at 3 strikes (but if I understand correctly also with just 1 sec left). You?
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

This is good, my first attempts were in the teens. My best results are 23 (once), 21 (4 times). My best blitz rating is 1490.

While on the phone I get 9, before morning coffee I get 13
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 6th June 2019 at 05:21.

I ran a 2nd time, scored 23 with three strikes, had a bit of time left... to bad.

At Chess.com my blitz (3m) is 1712, just below the highest of 1721.

Umfirend, how much does your rating vary with wellbeing, stress, illness, etc... I noticed that when I'm down it goes down by 200 or more points and on holidays it goes up.

Well, I don't really play chess when I am actually ill. I've played most blitz on playchess.com and there I did have runs of, like, 10 wins or losses so it could go up or down by about 150-200 point. I have periods where I am struggling to stay above 1500 and then I have periods where I just can't reach 1900. But to say it is correlated with stress of general wellbeing....no, not that I have noticed.

I play less blitz nowadays, I try to study a bit more.

Edit: I am trying to play the Grand-Prix attack but so far I do not seem to grasp it well. I expect to play against a Sicilian player next Friday on my club and I need a win in this last round of the season to get a TPR of 2000.
    Last edited by Umfriend; 10th June 2019 at 08:04.

I really enjoy playing against Grand-Prix attack. For learning there are many chess youtube channels with lessons for different levels. I noticed my blitz has gone up lately. For a while I had decent blitz rating and I wasn't at my best so I played mostly 1 min bullet for some time - to unwind, didn't care about rating. When I came back to blitz, I've found I'm better than I've been before.

On chess.com you can play rapid tournaments which I think are valuable. I do better in chess.com tournaments than regular games.

Yeah, I know some of them. Got me a series by Gawain Jones on the GP.

I don't do bullet and otherwise rapid I like least. I favor long games OTB and blitz online. Haven't actually been on chess.com for a while. What's your handle there? Mine is Umfriend.

my handle is leadenkey

Thread Information