Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NASA: SLS vs Falcon Heavy race to lunar orbit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA: SLS vs Falcon Heavy race to lunar orbit?

Oh, wow....

From today's NASA Town Hall,

Falcon Heavy + SLS's ICPS upper stage (a modded Delta IV upper stage) as an SLS alternative for for Orion's EM-1 mission. This because SLS is so far behind schedule.

Michael Baylor @nextspaceflight
    [NASA Admin] Bridenstine: Falcon Heavy with an ICPS upper stage can insert Orion and the European Service Module into lunar orbit on ONE rocket. "Nothing is off the table," but notes that SLS is the best option. #SpaceX
    |
    Deacon Doug @dougbrec
    He also said we would pursue these two options (SLS and FH) in parallel.... that kinda sets up a “race” of sorts between SpaceX and Boeing.
    3:43 PM - Apr 1, 2019

Something like this...

IMG_20190401_163344.jpg
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 April 2019, 13:36.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Ars article...

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...s-to-the-moon/

"Gerst is going to be so mad at me for saying all of this."
    >
    "It would require time [and] cost, and there is risk involved," Bridenstine said. "But guess whatif we're going to land boots on the Moon in 2024, we have time, and we have the ability to accept some risk and make some modifications. All of that is on the table. There is nothing sacred here that is off the table. And that is a potential capability that could help us land boots on the Moon in 2024."

With this comment, Bridenstine broke a political taboo. For the first time, really, a senior NASA official had opened the door to NASA flying its first crewed missions to the Moon on a Falcon Heavy rocket built by SpaceX. An official with the company did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

NASA Admin. Bridenstine talking about Falcon Heavy + Orion, Falcon Heavy + ICPS + Orion, etc. Plays at 29m 54s.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
      X