Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

satellite + terrestrial: multiswitch or combiner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• satellite + terrestrial: multiswitch or combiner?

Hello!

Simple question... Suppose you have a satellite dish with quad-LNB and a terrestrial input. On 2-3 places you have wall-boxes that split a coax cable into satellite, tv and radio connections. So, to combine the signals to send them to those 2-3 locations, but also amplify the terrestrial input as it will get split.

As I gather, the options are:
    1. Quad-capable multiswitch, e.g. https://axing.com/en/produkt/spu05409-en/
    2. A 4-way combiner, e.g. https://axing.com/en/produkt/swe04001-en/

In option 1, is the signal amplified or would there still need to be an amplifier (none is shown on their example)? If the multiswitch amplifies the signal, can I assume this is common for all powered multiswitches?

Option 2 is cheaper, but I will need to add an amplifier to it (it even shows on their example), so the price diffence will be rather small.

Is there any other reason to lean towards one option or the other?

I posted links to Axing as an example, but I know there are plenty of other brands, some multiswitches even have 0 W standby.

Thanks!
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Found a bit more... there are multiswitches with an active terrestrial path and those with a passive terrestrial path. It exactly determines what I asked about: whether or not the terrestrial signal is amplified or not. The ones with an active terrestrial path are quite a bit more expensive, so option 2 may be the better option for me (the mulitswitch would be the way to go with a quattro lnb). Seems logical?
    pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
      Found a bit more... there are multiswitches with an active terrestrial path and those with a passive terrestrial path. It exactly determines what I asked about: whether or not the terrestrial signal is amplified or not. The ones with an active terrestrial path are quite a bit more expensive, so option 2 may be the better option for me (the mulitswitch would be the way to go with a quattro lnb). Seems logical?
      Seems logical at first glance although I don't know much about coax.

Could you just use different HDMI inputs at TV level - one from satelite dish, other from terrestrial, 3d from cable or fiber or what your future connection will be?

Comment

There is no external decoder.
        One receiver is the TV (which has dvb-s and dvb-t tuners), the other receiver is a pc with dvb-s and dvb-t tuners. But it would be the same issue with a decoder box: I need to get both satelite and terrestrial on the same cable to pass it to where the tuners are.

The situation shown on the second image on this Axing device very well shows the situation: quad lnb + terrestrial has to go to multiple wall outputs (the wall outputs take a single cable with combined signal and split it back to TV and SAT connectors, the receivers are connected to those). I have the satellite dish, the terrestrial antenna and the wall outputs.
        On the second image on this multiswitch, the situation is very similar. This setup is however more expensive and I don't know if it adds more functionality. The latter setup becomes a requirement if you have quattro lnbs, multiple satellite dishes (but then you'd need a bigger multiswitch), or want to cascade to more clients. I guess as none of those are the case for me, I'll opt for the second option. I don't even know if my dish has a good reception, but I want to play around with it.
        Last edited by VJ; 13 March 2019, 12:19.
        pixar

Comment

Working...
        X