Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SpaceX Starship & StarHopper (UPDATES 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpaceX Starship & StarHopper (UPDATES 1)

Much news, first things first

Because of wanting to lean out the company, new launch system design reviews noted below (materials changes), and a culling of personnel with low annual review scores, SpaceX is laying off about 10% of their 7,000 employees. 577 are from Hawthorne and the rest are scattered. OTOH, there about 400 positions on their Careers page, many at KSC and in Seattle (the StarLink internet/data satellite centers.)

Names (old:new) & schedules

Big F'ing Rocket/BFR: Super Heavy (SH)
    Big F'ing Spaceship/BFS: Starship (SS)
    Landing test vehicle: Hopper, which is almost complete
    Orbital test vehicle: Starship Mk-1 under construction, due in June
    Super Heavy test vehicle: construction bgins spring 2019

Major changes due to PDR have actually accelerated the schedule by several months, with the first Hopper test flights coming in a few weeks. Maiden flight of the full stack 2020-ish.

OUT:
    composite structures,
    passive ablative main heat shield,
    vacuum version of Raptor CH4/LOX engine.

IN:
    cryogenically formed 300 series stainless steel and superalloy structures,
    active main heat shield cooled by liquid methane,
    uprated Raptor engine using a dual-bell altitude compensating nozzle,
    Hopper will use 3 of the uprated Raptor engines.

These material changes mean most people hired to build large composite structures are no longer needed.

Caveats:
    the vacuum Raptor engine may return later,
    heat shields for hot spots; canard and fin leading edges, tips etc., look to be NASA's Toughened Uni-piece Fibrous Reinforced Oxidation-Resistant Composite (TUFROC.)

SpaceX says the stainless steel & superalloy structures, and active liquid methane main heat shield, will make both SH and SS look like "liquid silver"

The Hopper, a very retro KISS testbed for the Raptor engines and new landing software, has been built in the open air at SpaceX's under construction Boca Chica launch center - 20+ miles east of Brownsville Texas. To build the tank-like engine bay they called in Caldwell, a company which builds high strength water towers. Watching it be built has been quite a show.

When construction started before Christmas everyone thought Hopper was a water tower,

Then it became clear this wasn't a water tower,

Now, things are getting very real...

Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
    This is for suborbital VTOL tests. Orbital version is taller, has thicker skins (won't wrinkle) & a smoothly curving nose section.

These renderings show numeric and relative vehicle sizes,

Space Shuttle, Hopper and Starship

Saturn V, Super Heavy/Starship, Falcon 9
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 January 2019, 01:31.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

The nose cone and development engines have been removed, so it's likely the propellant tank's common bulkhead, upper dome and plumbing work is next.

As an NSF article states, the horizontal Raptor engine test stand at SpaceX's McGregor Texas test site has been completely reworked. It's been greatly beefed up, re-plumbed, and it's received a larger engine mounting plate.

This together with Musk stating the "radically redesigned Raptor" has 100,000 hp (74.6MW) of turbopump power vs. the 36,208 hp (27MW) of the development engines, indicates it's a friggin' beast.
    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

WHOA!!!!!

Assurances aside, this doesn't bode well for Hawthorne and California once Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy are retired.

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...16-story.html.

In blow to Los Angeles, SpaceX is moving its Mars spaceship and booster work to Texas

In a reversal of a deal local officials touted as a win for Los Angeles tech, SpaceX will no longer be developing and building its Mars spaceship and rocket booster system at the Port of Los Angeles. Instead, the work will be done in South Texas.

SpaceX said in a statement Wednesday that the decision was made to "streamline operations."

"This decision does not impact our current manufacture, design, and launch operations in Hawthorne and Vandenberg Air Force Base," a company spokesperson said in the statement. "Additionally, SpaceX will continue recovery operations of our reusable Falcon rockets and Dragon spacecraft at the Port of Los Angeles."
      >
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

So Fake Newsâ„¢, and Starship Mk-1 gets assembled at Boca Chica too. And we thought there were rubber-neckers on Highway 4 with the Hopper build....

Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
        The source info is incorrect. Starship & Raptor development is being done out of our HQ in Hawthorne, CA. We are building the Starship prototypes locally at our launch site in Texas, as their size makes them very difficult to transport.
        6:25 PM - Jan 16, 2019

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Musk interviewed by Popular Mechanics.

Subject: Starship & stainless steel.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/spa...ainless-steel/

Summary

Alloy: initially (Starship Mk 1?) 301 stainless steel, later something "special";

Why stainless?: stronger at cryogenic temps, high heat bearing capacity.

Structure: double-walled on windward side during re-entry with transpirational active cooling;

Transpirational active cooling: the outer wall has micro-perforations, through which liquid CH4 or water is sprayed to create a boundary layer. That's your heat shield. No heat shield needed on the leeward side because stainless can take those loads.

Counterintuitive: transpirational + stainless ends up lighter than composites with a passive heat shield, and it's far cheaper; the composites were $135/kg with 35% going to scrap while stainless steel is $3/kg.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Starship transpirational heat shield test,

Video at link

Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
            Testing metallic heat shield at 1100C (2000F) @SpaceX
            1:09 AM - Jan 25, 2019

|
            Jason Houge @JasonHou
            Replying to @elonmusk @SpaceX
            Are you useing @boringcompany flamethrowers for this test?
            |
            Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
            These are industrial strength. Not recommended for use at home!
            1:12 AM - Jan 25, 2019

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 January 2019, 23:31.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Matthew Keegan @keego73
              Hi Elon. My 12yo son Finlay is doing an assignment on the colonisation of our solar system and wants to know how many crew members would be in the BFR on such a mission.
              Thanks @elonmusk
              |
              Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
              Its designed for 100 people on a Mars journey
              |
              Everyday Astronaut @Erdayastronaut
              Replying to @elonmusk @keego73
              I just realized another major advantage to stainless steel on Starship. It could literally be repaired with a welder!!!! Something thats not nearly as easy when dealing with composites. Imagine a super banged up Starship with patches and dings after decades of use 😍
              |
              Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
              Absolutely. Youve touched on a very important point. The ship must be easy to repair on the moon and Mars.
              5:13 PM - Jan 31, 2019
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Vlogger Tim Dodd, AKA Everyday Astronaut, has a new episode during which he explains the choice of stainless steel over composites, and the idea behind Starship's transpirational heat shield.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Another Raptor TweetStorm...

Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
                  Raptor reached 268.9 bar today, exceeding prior record held by the awesome Russian RD-180. Great work by @SpaceX engine/test team! pic.twitter.com/yPrvO0JhyY
                  |
                  John Kraus @johnkrausphotos
                  What was the duration of the test fire?
                  |
                  Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
                  About 11 secs
                  |
                  Eric Ralph @13ericralph31
                  Wow Can you say how many tests have been performed thus far? I doubt it can speak much to the long-term longevity of Raptor, but I feel like 3-5+ static fires in the first 7 freaking days of integrated hot-fires is a damn good sign.
                  |
                  Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
                  I think 6 where we lit main chamber & several with only preburners
                  |
                  Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
                  Yes, aiming for 380 sec Isp with vac nozzle. Maybe 382 if we get lucky.
                  |
                  Anthony Iemole @SpaceXFan97
                  Replying to @elonmusk and 2 others
                  I know you said Raptor would eventually reach 300 bar, but will you stop there or go furthur? 300 is already impressive but is it capable of more?
                  |
                  Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
                  Much above 300 bar main chamber pressure means extreme oxygen preburner pressure of 700 to 800+ bar. Definitely pushing the limit of known physics.
                  |
                  Elon Musk ✓ @elonmusk
                  Propellant was not deep cryo. CH4 & O2 were just barely below liquid temp at 1 bar. In theory, Raptor should do ~300 bar at deep cryo, provided everything holds together, which is far from certain. However, only 250 bar is needed for nominal operation of Starship/Super Heavy.
                  |
                  Elon Musk ✓ @elonmusk
                  This will sound implausible, but I think theres a path to build Starship / Super Heavy for less than Falcon 9
                  |
                  @SpaceXFan97
                  Wow! I assume the switch to Stainless Steel is a big factor in this?
                  |
                  Elon Musk ✓ @elonmusk
                  Yes
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 February 2019, 20:33.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Randomness as a human @epoxy101
                    Replying to @elonmusk and 3 others
                    will it be cheaper than F9 for kg to LEO for instance?
                    |
                    Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
                    At least 10X cheaper
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Everyday Astronaut @Erdayastronaut
                      Replying to @elonmusk and 4 others
                      Will there still be these header tanks inside starship?

|
                      Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
                      Yeah, but simpler. Needed for landing burn or engines will suck in a bubble.
                      2:10 AM - Feb 13, 2019

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

@elonmusk
                        SpaceX foundry casting Raptor engine manifold out of Inconel

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Confirmed: the Super Heavy booster and Starship will be built in Brownsville, TX

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1120859043/

Tank Fabricator/Welder

Company Name: SpaceX*

Company Location: Brownsville, TX, US

Posted Date: Posted 2 days ago*

Number of applicants: Be among the first 25 applicants

Apply: Apply to Tank Fabricator/Welder on company website

SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.

TANK FABRICATOR/WELDER*

Tank fabricators will work to build the primary airframe of the Starship and Super Heavy vehicles at the SpaceX South Texas build site. The tank fabricator will work with an elite team of other fabricators and technicians to rapidly build the tank (cylindrical structure), tank bulkheads, and other large associated structures for the flight article design of both vehicles.
                          >
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

https://www.recruit.net/job/supervis...A52544507D7B8C

SUPERVISOR, TANK FABRICATION

The Tank Fabrication Supervisor is responsible for leading a team of fabricators, welders, and technicians building the Primary and Secondary structures for the Starship and Super Heavy vehicles. The Tank Fabrication Supervisor is the most influential person on-site to drive progress on an hour-by-hour and day-by-day basis. The Supervisor of the team will take technical direction from the Engineering team and turn it into reality by building, retaining, and managing their team effectively; distributing labor resources, prioritizing certain aspects of the build, and setting headcount requirements where necessary. The Supervisor is also a key enabler to a productive, fun, and hard-working culture. For this role specifically, it is highly important that the Supervisor is an inspiring leader, often-times working side by side with their build team.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Video of the Boca Chica TX facility construction

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X