Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• left and right woofers in car stopped working

Hello,

A strange issue happened to my car: one morning, the woofers in both front doors (left and right) stopped working. The left and right tweeters in the A pillars are fine. On the radio, there is only one front left and one front right output, so it seems the radio gives a signal. The speakers are the VW oem ones in a VW Polo, which uses a split tweeter-woofer configuration. I have however no idea where they split this.

It seems unlikely to me that both woofers fail at the same time, so I'm assuming the failure point has to be somewhere where the woofer cables are still together (maybe the cable just fell out of the part where the front signal is split in woofer and tweeter...

Any thoughts?

The car was outside in very cold weather, but the night after which they stopped working was not as cold as some nights before...
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Probably something disconnected. Pull stereo out and check that everything is plugged in. Check breakers. Find some car acoustics guy - should be no problem in Poland - to look in to it. I had 2 Polos - the last one was 16 years old when I sold it and those speakers still worked however one tweeter near the window was not working. I budgeted new front speakers, new better stereo, cable run to back shelf and new speakers for back shelf at around 500 euros so I never got to do it before selling the car.
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 13 January 2019, 11:19.

Comment

Car was parked for 3 days, temperatures are now well above zero and both woofers are playing again... Most likely something froze, but strange that it would affect left and right at the same time. But I'm leaving it at that for now... it looks fixed and would be hard to diagnose when everything is operational.

Out of curiosity: you mentioned "breakers"... and are the second person to do so. Are there breakers on the speakers (there is no external amplifier, there may be an oem installed crossover, but I'm not aware of that)?
      pixar

Comment

Breakers are just a logical troubleshooting step that came to mind. If the speakers started working, it's not the breakers.

Comment

Of course. I'm just puzzled why people think of breakers for speakers, esp. when there is no external amplifier...

Today still working fine... So something froze and defroze. The surprising part is that left and right suffered the same at the same time.
          pixar

Comment

Good that you can blast that bass again.
            Poland polo tuning club.
            Last edited by UtwigMU; 15 January 2019, 02:34.

Comment

It is not even about blasting the base, but rather about not having every singer sound like a smurf on helium...
              pixar

Comment

Working...
              X