Matrox makes the Microsoft DX wall of history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox makes the Microsoft DX wall of history

This is pretty awesome. People at the mothership are flocking to the GPU wall to pay homage to gaming card history.

When you are the team behind something like Direct3D, you need many different graphics cards to test on.  And when you’ve been doing this for as long as we have, you’ll inevitably accumulate a LOT of cards left over from years gone by. 

Matrox has two entries in the blog post: the venerable Millenium G400 and the Parahelia QID.

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

That's pretty cool, thanks.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

This is awesome.

Which Parhelia was actually the best?
      The 256 AGPx8?
      The QID?
      The APVe?

Comment

The G550, if just because of Head Casting. AFAIK, the very first (and last) card to offer that.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Completely forgot about headcasting...
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Has anyone here ever actually used headcasting? I got G550 mouse mat with cyber woman (advertising headcasting) from Matrox Germany so I remember it.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
              Has anyone here ever actually used headcasting? I got G550 mouse mat with cyber woman (advertising headcasting) from Matrox Germany so I remember it.
              Yes, we made fun of it. The only use it ever had.
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I think it was the G550 and not the Parhelia that did the Matrox in:
                1999 G400 top of the line - overall best graphic card. G200 (best 2D card) shrunk and sold to OEMs (there were servers as recently as 2016 with G200).
                2000 G450 - die shrunk cheaper G400 - still lots of sales to OEMs. The problem was there was no G800 which should have been GeForce 2 / Radeon 32-64MB card
                2001 G550 - canned G800 - still lots of sales to OEMs from G550 and G450
                2002 Parhelia ahead of GeForce 3 / Radeon 8500 but behind GeForce 4 Ti. Problem was that bulk of nVidia sales was GeForce 4MX which was just rebadged GF2. Matrox only had Parhelia which was competitive becuase of Quadro/FireGL features at lower price and because of triplehead but nothing to sell in mainstream market

Comment

Price and marketing come to mind too. I think the Parhelia also got a bad wrap with gamers due to the implementation of FAA.

Comment

Working...
                  X