Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: IT stories and rants

Keep up the fight. Also have you done any freelancing?

This year I am close to what I was earning from freelance accounts other than the one I'm working for now full time before I employed here. I decided to develop my business to the level where I can survive financially without my current employment.

I used to freelance, but I got burned so many times I care not to do it. 1 car dealership owes me 8+ hours that I'll never see. Another dealer blamed me for hosing all his pirated software on the company laptop and tried to pressure me into finding keys to get it all working again after I cleaned the malware out. Then the fun of saying you need to take the PC with you to scan and repair it all, that's when they freak out as they realize it isn't a quick fix and they'll have to do something else til it's fixed.
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Don't you have collectors in USA? Here if they don't pay you you send a reminder and then file court claim (can be done online, costs ~25€). Then if they don't file dispute court deducts money from their bank account and transfers it to your bank account as soon as any income arrives. It is also major blemish for their credit rating if they have a block on account. On top of that they pay court costs (25€) and bank charges them banking costs for transfer (15-25€).

So far I only had to send reminders and companies always paid me. With people you can craiglist their comp if they don't pay you.

We have Judge Judy

Collectors aren't all that effective, and taking someone to Small Claims Court means at least half a day that would likely net more income elsewhere.

Kobayashi Maru
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20th December 2018 at 08:09.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Quote Originally Posted by UtwigMU View Post
    Don't you have collectors in USA? Here if they don't pay you you send a reminder and then file court claim (can be done online, costs ~25€). Then if they don't file dispute court deducts money from their bank account and transfers it to your bank account as soon as any income arrives. It is also major blemish for their credit rating if they have a block on account. On top of that they pay court costs (25€) and bank charges them banking costs for transfer (15-25€).

So far I only had to send reminders and companies always paid me. With people you can craiglist their comp if they don't pay you.
    Wow. We have had two cases. It takes ages and quite a bit of money. Sure, if the court rules in your favor then you are entitled to claim expenses as well but those are prescribed and way lower than the actual expense in legal fees, cost and time.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Hi everybody! Been years.
    Adding a recent story to the mix:
    Head of our IT Operations department comes to me and starts talking about transferring responsibility of some security alerts to me. Basically they involve potential infections of some sort. In principle, this is a good idea. I look at the alerts every morning as part of a dashboard and multiple times through the day. Oh, I work in a NOC. Ok I am am going to need some instructions on how the guy that does this now does this? His response was a more polite version of you can learn this as you go along. I told him that I need a clue as to what to do. Which alerts? His response, you can ask (we shall call him Bob) what to do. My response, how can I do that if you or he does not tell me first? His response, you need to learn as go along. You won't know everything else at first. Me: But you are not giving me any thing to go no. His Response was to tell me look at the third octet. These two values mean these are desktops, laptops, tablets, touchscreens, etc . . . . Ok. <still not liking this but this is half a clue.>

I see an alert the next morning and use nslookup. Now I do not like using this potentially the next days as of course DHCP and these machines do not have an assigned permanent addresses. I submit a ticket for a machine which unknown to me is for one of the Network infrastructure people. I get asked, why did you submit this ticket and I give a polite explanation of the above.

Response 1: Well you gave the wrong computer name. You need to look in the firewall logs.
    Response 2: Why are you doing this? The initial triage belongs to infrastructure.

Well I do not have access to the firewall logs and ask your boss.

Thankfully my boos agreed and told them I will not take on this responsibility until they can ensure I have needed access and the process is written up.

Thread Information