New Build after a few years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build after a few years

Hi guys. Haven't posted here in ages. building a new rig for Christmas (my gift to me) Plan is Ryzen 5 2600, ASUS Prime B450M-A/CSM mobo, G.Skill 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz Desktop Memory, Samsung 860 EVO 250GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD, Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST1000DM003), Thermaltake Smart 700W 80+ White Certified PSU, Continuous Power with 120mm Ultra Quiet Fan, ATX 12V V2.3/EPS 12V Active PFC Power Supply PS-SPD-0700NPCWUS-W, MSI VGA Graphic Cards RX 580 Armor 8G OC, Cooler Master MCW-L3B3-KANN-01 MasterBox Lite 3.1 mATX Case with Dark Mirror Front, Acrylic Side Panel, Customizable Trim Colors.
    I have already bought the case and plan to buy all of the items that cost less than US$50 and have them shipped to my US address where they will then be shipped to me in Jamaica. (Cheaper that way and I won't have to pay customs any duty. The CPU memory and video card I plan to have shipped to my wife's cousin who gets here in early December. That way I don't have to pay duty on those. I think it is a decent system. I try not to buy Intel or nVidia stuff where possible. I will game a bit but not hardcore mainly Asphalt 8 and I wont be overclocking much if at all. I'm 50 now and a bit jaded LOL! Cost is around US$800 total what do you guys think?
    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Denty, welcome back! Good to see you.

Ryzen 2600 is very good choice, great price performance, eyeing one myself but I'm still sitting on a case and motherboard, waiting to build NAS.
    Asus is good, I think all mobos are good these days with only Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Asrock and Supermicro left.
    Your MoBo supports both SATA and PCIE M2 and PCIE M2 SSD will have much higher transfer rate, try to squeeze M2 PCIE SSD in.
    2TB spinner costs only a little more than 1TB, if you're putting in a spinner see if 2TB would give you better price performance. I like WD and Toshiba
    The rest looks good.

Your customs story reminds me of pre EU Slovenia, when we did stuff like you do. I still ship some stuff to brother who lives in adjacent country because shipping is cheaper or free.

EDIT: Also check out the RAM, Ryzen benefits from fast RAM and likes some sticks better, the consensus is Samsung sticks are better. G-Skill sounds good but do a search to double check what is best RAM for Ryzen.
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 21 September 2018, 14:13.

Comment

Sorry, this is MURC, where the M stands for Matrox... I don't see a Matrox card in that list...

Just kidding...

Nice to see you again!

No experience with AMD things, but a few years ago I felt a bit cheated on my Asus mainboard as I felt they did not clearly state the issue with the PCIE lanes: if you enable the onboard M2, you loose two PCIE slots. If I had known that, I would have gone for a different mainboard, as this "sharing" of PCIE lanes (which is not really sharing, but rather switching) is between different devices on different mainboards. So check in the bios manual if/how PCIE lanes are shared. My issue was a few years ago, when there were less PCIE lanes, but the issue may still exist.
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Welcome back Mr. Denty!!!!

This is what I built a year ago...
        IMG_8208[2332].JPG

Intel Kaby Lake overclocked to 5.0Ghz
        16GB PC2400 Corsair LPX Vengeance DDR 4
        256GB M.2 32Gb/s SSD
        Samsung 512GB SSD
        Windows 10
        Corsair H150 Pro AIO cooler
        Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7 board
        Vertically mounted eVGA Nvidia GTX 1060 with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme III cooler (awesome by the way)
        Corsair RM750i modular power supply

I also need to upgrade when the GTX 1080TI's get cheaper
        Last edited by Elie; 21 September 2018, 19:33.

Comment

Elie, the 2000 series Geforce with raytracing is all the rage now, so upgrade to that. Otherwise - very nice rig. Is the case fractal design?
          Last edited by UtwigMU; 21 September 2018, 22:44.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
            Denty, welcome back! Good to see you.
            try to squeeze M2 PCIE SSD in.
            2TB spinner costs only a little more than 1TB, if you're putting in a spinner see if 2TB would give you better price performance. I like WD and Toshiba
            The rest looks good.
            This., although I like Toshiba, Hitachi and Seagate.
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I'd skip the mechanical HDD, really, it'll slow down an otherwise super fast beast of a machine.
              If you can afford it, that's the way to go:
              "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

It's an important consideration. $300 might get you 12TB of storage with spinners. So how much storage do you need in the short to medium term? And with that much data, maybe it is time to consider backup/restore options as well. A 2 TB spinner may get into trouble but you might be able to recover a lot and monitoring SMART may warn you prior to failure. With SSDs, sudden full failures are a bit more common I think (but don;t ask me for data to back that up).
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                  It's an important consideration. $300 might get you 12TB of storage with spinners. So how much storage do you need in the short to medium term? And with that much data, maybe it is time to consider backup/restore options as well. A 2 TB spinner may get into trouble but you might be able to recover a lot and monitoring SMART may warn you prior to failure. With SSDs, sudden full failures are a bit more common I think (but don;t ask me for data to back that up).
                  Yep... 2 mirrored 2 TB spinners already decrease the chance of failure. At work, we've had some sudden catastrophic failures of SSD disks in laptops, and it is really all or nothing (most likely nothing ). So depending on how you value the data, it is something important to consider. Not all data needs to be safe (e.g. game installation files), and not all data needs to be directly accessible at the speeds SSDs allow.
                  pixar

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                    Elie, the 2000 series Geforce with raytracing is all the rage now, so upgrade to that. Otherwise - very nice rig. Is the case fractal design?
                    Thanks!
                    The case is a Cooler Master Pro 5. I like it but if I were to buy another case today, I will probably buy something different.
                    Yes the RTX 2000 series are awesome, but way over priced for the performance gains you get over the 1080Ti etc. We'll see how they fair with ray tracing games when Windows 10 supports RT.

Comment

I was planning to upgrade my pc with a new videocard and some harddisks in a few months time; from the onboard Intel HD4600, to a 1060 or 1070. Also not sure about the 20xx series as it is quite a steep price increase for a feature that is not supported in many games - and I am unlikely to play the latest games anyway. The performance increase without raytracing is rather limited. But at least it may mean a cheaper videocard when everybody jumps on the 20xx wagon.
                      pixar

Comment

I finally ordered drives, SSD, PSU and cooler for my NAS so I should be building in couple of weeks. One thing I'm interested in is how does the 2000 series do in DaVinci Resolve since workstation for photo and video editing is due when funds allow.
                        Last edited by UtwigMU; 28 September 2018, 02:20.

Comment

Charles how have you been man?! was just thinking about you a week ago lol
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I built it!
                            Final specs.

Cooler Master MCW-L3B3-KANN-01 MasterBox Lite 3.1 mATX Case with Dark Mirror Front, Acrylic Side Panel, Customizable Trim Colors $31.82
                            Corsair CX Series 550 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply (CP-9020102-NA) $46.99
                            ASRock MicroATX Motherboard (B450M PRO4) $79.72
                            AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler - YD2600BBAFBOX $149.99
                            G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB $139.99
                            Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST1000DM003)$42.08
                            MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro 80mm (2280-S3-M) M.2 PCI Express 3.1 x4 (PCIe Gen3 x4) NVMe SSD (256GB (240GB))$54.99
                            MSI VGA Graphic Cards RX 580 Armor 8G OC $224.99
                            upHere Wireless RGB LED 120mm Case Fan,Quiet Edition High Airflow Adjustable Color LED Case Fan for PC Cases, CPU Coolers,Radiators System,5-Pack $32.99

I bought the parts over a couple months. I am running the nvme pciex4 m.2 ssd and the spinning rust as a tier drive with 2GB RAM using AMD StoreMI. Getting very good sequential read speeds (over 4000 MB/s). I finally had to buy Win10 pro as it wouldn't activate using the digital license associated with the old phenom IIx4 system that I had used to beta test win10 from pre-release days LOL. Quite happy with it so far.
                            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2

Comment

DSC_0124.jpgDSC_0125.jpgDSC_0130.jpg
                              Mobo is microATX, 4 RAM slots. 2 M.2 slots, one of which is SATA and the other PCIE. When SSD prices fall further I'll probably get a 1TB M.2 SATA SSD for more storage
                              Last edited by DentyCracker; 8 January 2019, 22:16.
                              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R

Comment

Working...
                              X