Thread: English language question....

Default English language question....

Can I write this in English:

The structure is either determined beforehand or is decided on based on the available data.
    It concerns the first on (in bold). Should it be there or not? The sentence is a shortened version to be able to ask the question; it is a sentence that belongs in a scientific article. It looks weird with the two on's in such a close succession, but there is a difference between "you decide on something" and "you decide something", so I think it should be there... Or should I just use a different verb?

Thanks!
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I'm not native but I'd write

is decided upon available data.

Wait till natives chime in.

Not exactly sure what you're looking for (if not based on data, then how?, before what?) but would:
    "The structure is [will] either be determined beforehand or based on available data." or
    "The structure is [will] either be determined beforehand or on the basis of available data."

If it needs to be as is, then I would consider replacing the first/bold on with "upon", makes it clearer it is a reference to the structure.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

You can say "The structure is either determined beforehand or based on available data."

I assume you're referring to a structure which can be assembled according to either a predetermined blueprint, or a blueprint which is in a state of flux due to the differing data sets. In which case just trimming the extra verbiage is fine. Unless you require extra specificity, in which case you need to specify what you're being specific about.

I'd go with The structure is either determined beforehand or is decided upon, based on the available data.
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Thanks!

I'll rewrite the text a bit, not sure which of the suggestions I'll use but thanks for the input!
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Thread Information