SpaceX holding closed access "Mars Workshops"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpaceX holding closed access "Mars Workshops"

The Ars article is longish, the info under strict NDA's, and what details there are in the article indicate this s**t's getting serious.

The inaugural workshops are at the University of Colorado Boulder.

Eric Berger ✔ @SciGuySpace (Ars Technica)
    Bit of a scoop here: SpaceX is holding an inaugural meeting this week to gather input from academic, business, and government experts on human Mars landings. NASA will be there. https://arstechnica.com/science/2018...dings-on-mars/ …
    5:25 PM - Aug 6, 2018

Ars Technica...

SpaceX organizes inaugural conference to plan landings on Mars

No one can deny that SpaceX founder Elon Musk has thought a lot about how to transport humans safely to Mars with his Big Falcon Rocket. But when it comes to Musk's highly ambitious plans to settle Mars in the coming decades, some critics say Musk hasn't paid enough attention to what people will do once they get there.

However, SpaceX may be getting more serious about preparing for human landings on Mars, both in terms of how to keep people alive as well as to provide them with something meaningful to do. According to private invitations seen by Ars, the company will host a "Mars Workshop" on Tuesday and Wednesday this week at the . Although the company would not comment directly, a SpaceX official confirmed the event and said the company regularly meets with a variety of experts concerning its missions to Mars.

This appears to be the first meeting of such magnitude, however, with nearly 60 key scientists and engineers from industry, academia, and government attending the workshop, including a handful of leaders from NASA's Mars exploration program. The invitation for the inaugural Mars meeting encourages participants to contribute to "active discussions regarding what will be needed to make such missions happen." Attendees are being asked to not publicize the workshop or their attendance.
    >
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 August 2018, 21:12.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Ars has become a totally cucked leftist hole. It's like the sites that would tell enthusiast to get a Dell 15 years ago. Windows 10 updates are great for you, zomg Trump is a fascist, every time you diverge from the echo chamber opinion in news comments (I mean technical, not politics I never commented on any political articles) you get down-voted. It's full of leftists who haven't realized they are "conservative" establishment yet. The guy who founded it received good education from good American uni and thinks Google was in the right in firing James Damore. How can you honestly see yourself on the side of good and be anti-free speech and opinions based on solid arguments. The scientifical fact hating SJWs are the new flat earthers. It's one thing to disagree, but firing people for their opinions is totalitarian tier. The only good part there are some knowledgable old-timers in the tech forums, some of which still write good technical articles for the front page.
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 6 August 2018, 18:57.

Comment

So far Eric Berger hasn't been bit by the SJW bug, but then NewSpace etc. have been keeping him fairly busy.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
        Ars has become a totally cucked leftist hole. It's like the sites that would tell enthusiast to get a Dell 15 years ago. Windows 10 updates are great for you, zomg Trump is a fascist, every time you diverge from the echo chamber opinion in news comments (I mean technical, not politics I never commented on any political articles) you get down-voted. It's full of leftists who haven't realized they are "conservative" establishment yet. The guy who founded it received good education from good American uni and thinks Google was in the right in firing James Damore. How can you honestly see yourself on the side of good and be anti-free speech and opinions based on solid arguments. The scientifical fact hating SJWs are the new flat earthers. It's one thing to disagree, but firing people for their opinions is totalitarian tier. The only good part there are some knowledgable old-timers in the tech forums, some of which still write good technical articles for the front page.
        WTF are you even raving about?

firing people for their opinions is totalitarian tier
        Are you telling me that as a business owner I shouldn't have final absolute say in who I employ?

Are you suggesting that if I have an employee who casts my business in a negative light, I should not have the right to terminate that employee?

So the employee has "First Amendment Rights?" Well, SO DO I. If the employee has the right to expose him/herself as an obnoxious, ignorant prick, I have the right to say "hit the bricks, a$$hole."

WTF kind of authoritarian are you to suggest otherwise?

Comment

Planetary scientist, co-founder NASA KSC SwampWorks

Dr. Phil Metzger @DrPhiltill
          At the inaugural @SpaceX Mars Workshop, planning how to put humans on Mars, then how to have 100s living there. So exciting!
          11:23 AM - Aug 7, 2018

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I'm not familiar with political discrimination laws in USA. What is the difference in firing someone because he's a national, religious or sexual minority and someone who is a political minority?

Could you fire someone for wearing a niqab to work because according to you it reflects badly on your business in USA? Just hypothetical question, nothing against - I have a coworker who wears niqab and we get along really well, drink coffee sometimes. Here they would have to prove that he was performing badly and he could sue them. That he was critical of their internal processes is not enough grounds to fire someone. After 10 years or so (judges here are predominately women who would be biased, courts work but very slow), once it would get to national top level or European Court of Human Rights, they'd have to rehire him, pay him salary and his attorney fees. Smart businesses usually settle, I was involved in a case where my customers (5 people shop) didn't renew employee's contract. She caused them so many problems that they were offering her cash to leave them alone.

Worker protection is very high here - to the point I and my business owner friends find it too high. One of my friends is a lawyer who specializes in labour law. Very different from USA.
            Last edited by UtwigMU; 7 August 2018, 14:39.

Comment

Most places in the US these days support "at will" employment, meaning employers can fire anyone for any reason. "Worker protections" went the way of the labor unions. There are exceptions. I can't refuse to hire, or fire, someone solely for their sex or race or religious or political beliefs. If their religious beliefs somehow interfere with their job performance, I must make a reasonable effort to accommodate their beliefs to minimize conflicts.

(This has nothing to do with political correctness. It's the decent - dare I say Christian - thing to do.)

If, on the other hand, their behavior flagrantly violates the terms of their employment (and I set the terms of their employment), then I have much more leeway.

Now, as a business owner, I do have a right to refuse service to anyone. But it's a right that a wise business owner will exercise only in extreme cases. Personally, turning away customers for ANY reason is a very expensive luxury that I have never been able to afford. If I were to turn away customers in a way that made ME look like a prick, then I might as well make it look like an electrical fire. (See "Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission")

Otherwise employers in the US are pretty much free to do whatever they want.
              Last edited by KRSESQ; 7 August 2018, 15:08.

Comment

Partial list of participants,

SpaceX
                Tesla
                NASA HQ
                JPL/Caltech
                NASA AMES
                NASA AMES Bay Area Environmental Research Institute
                NASA Glenn
                NASA JSC
                Aerospace Corporation
                European Space Agency
                Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)
                Mohammed Bin Rashid Space Centre (MBRSC) UAE
                EchoStar
                Aeronautical Systems, Inc
                Lunar and Planetary Labortory
                Caterpillar Inc
                Honeybee Robotics
                Maxar
                Bechtel Corporation
                Ball Aerospace
                Schlumberger
                Freestyle Analytical & Quantitative Services, LLC
                Planetary Science Institute
                MIT
                Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics U. Colorado, Boulder
                Arizona State University
                University of Arizona ASU Research Enterprise (ASURE)
                Colorado School of Mines (Space Resources Program)
                University of Colorado, Boulder
                University of Florida
                Brown University
                University of Central Florida
                University of Western Ontario
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
                  If, on the other hand, their behavior flagrantly violates the terms of their employment (and I set the terms of their employment), then I have much more leeway.
                  Can you freely set the terms of employment? Because here in many EU countries, you are very restricted in which terms are allowed as terms of employment (the idea was that it is to prevent discrimination, but it limits more than just that).

Doc (back on topic)

I do agree with the quote that Musk has been more working on getting to Mars than what to do once you get there. But to counter that criticism: you have to start from something.
                  Nice list of participants!
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                    Can you freely set the terms of employment? Because here in many EU countries, you are very restricted in which terms are allowed as terms of employment (the idea was that it is to prevent discrimination, but it limits more than just that.
                    As long as the terms of employment don't violate anti-discrimination or workplace safety or child-labor laws or any criminal statutes, I can do almost whatever I want. (I'm not necessarily saying that's a good thing.)

Comment

Correct. There are several protected classes, often more at the state level than by the federal govt., so you cannot fire based on gender, race etc. but for unlisted things you're pretty much at the whim of the employer.

From SpaceX's Mars Workshop

NASA's Associate Administrator for the Science Mission Directorate

Thomas Zurbuchen ✔ @Dr_ThomasZ
                      #NASA is committed to sending humans deeper into space than ever before. By collaborating with commercial, international & government partners, our species can achieve this goal even sooner. How we make that happen was the topic of todays workshop where NASA reps were present.

https://twitter.com/dr_thomasz/statu...18499384520706
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

lets move this discussion to VJ's thread

I don't want to pollute this interesting thread with static

Comment

Relax. I think we're done.

Comment

Working...
                          X