Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Falcon 9: Crew Dragon DM-1 - uncrewed test flight to ISS (DM-2 in 2019!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NASA Administrator

Jim Bridenstine ✔ @JimBridenstine
    Todays successful launch marks a new chapter in American excellence, getting us closer to once again flying American Astronauts on American rockets from American soil. Congratulations to the @SpaceX and @NASA teams for this major milestone in our nations history. #LaunchAmerica
    3:06 AM - Mar 2, 2019

Former NASA, Administrator Gen. Bolden

Charles Bolden @cboldenjr
    It doesn't get any better than this!!!! To every member of the NASA-SpaceX Team tonight, congratulations on this milestone achievement of launching the first commercial human-rated spacecraft from LC-39A at KSC. Go Falcon 9; Go Crew Dragon! - Charlie B.
    ||
    NASA ✔ @NASA
    LIFTOFF! The next big leap in a new chapter of U.S. human spaceflight systems has left the pad. @SpaceXs #CrewDragon demo flight will be the 1st commercially-built & operated American spacecraft designed for humans to dock at the @Space_Station. Watch: https://twitter.com/...s/1zqKVOldbmpGB

SpaceX

SpaceX ✔ @SpaceX
    Crew Dragon is on its way to the International Space Station! Autonomous docking at the @Space_Station set for early tomorrow morning. Watch live starting at 3:30 a.m. EST, 8:30 a.m. UTC → http://spacex.com/webcast
    3:07 AM - Mar 2, 2019
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Schedule for March 3, 2019 (Sunday)

- 08:30 UTC NASA TV Coverage of the Rendezvous and Docking of the SpaceX/Crew Dragon Spacecraft to the ISS

- 11.00 UTC Dragon SpX-DM-1 Docking

- 13:30 UTC NASA TV Coverage of the Hatch Opening of the SpaceX/Crew Dragon Spacecraft

- 13.45 UTC hatch opening by flight engineer Anne McClain and commander Oleg Kononenko.

DM-1 will deliver 181 kg of equipment and supplies for the station's crew and return with science samples, as well as a failed part of a spacesuit for analysis and repair

- 15:35 UTC NASA TV Coverage of the SpaceX/Crew Dragon special welcoming ceremony by the ISS crew.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

NASA stream for this AM's docking coverage (0330 Eastern)

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Qapla' !!!

Smooth, and early.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

NASA TV Crew Dragon departure, re-entry & landing coverage. All times Eastern;

Coverage: https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasa...ex.html#public

https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/schedule.html

March 7, Thursday

12:15 p.m. Coverage of the Hatch Closure of the SpaceX/Crew Dragon Spacecraft at the International Space Station; hatch closure scheduled at 12:25 p.m. EST (All Channels)

March 8, Friday

2 a.m. Coverage of the undocking of the SpaceX/Crew Dragon Spacecraft from the International Space Station; undocking scheduled at 2:31 a.m. EST (All Channels)
            7:30 a.m. Coverage of the deorbit Burn and Splashdown of the SpaceX/Crew Dragon Spacecraft to Complete Demonstration Mission-1. Deorbit burn scheduled at 7:50 a.m. EST; splashdown in the Atlantic Ocean scheduled at 8:45 a.m. EST (All Channels)
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

That's quite a sleek little spacecraft those guys have built. Too bad if Elon has his way it will be obsolete in 3 years.

Comment

Not obsolete for LEO taxi services, but yeah - Starship will make a lot of hardware obsolete.
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 March 2019, 11:31.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Perfect!!

This vehicle and Ripley, the test dummy, will be reusrd for the upcoming In-Flight Abort test - firing the SuperDraco escape engines mid-launch at MaxQ.

The "Earth" plush toy/Zero-G Indicator will stay on ISS with @Astro_Annimal and return with the Crew Dragon DM-2 vehicle.

@JimBridenstine
                  I want to congratulate the @NASA Commercial Crew Program and all of the engineers who have been a part of this effort from the very beginning. This is an amazing feat for America!

Col. Doug Hurley ✔ @Astro_Doug
                  Congratulations to @SpaceX and @NASA on the successful completion of Crew Dragon Demonstration-1 test flight! Its been a joy to watch the teams in action and I cant wait to climb on board the next one!
                  9:52 AM - Mar 8, 2019
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 March 2019, 09:13.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

NASA DM-1 highlight reel

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The DM-1 post-landing comments pretty much mirror these two,

"On-orbit we got a lot of great data on the vehicle in terms of the thermal performance and power performance; the vehicle really did better than we expected. Then the rendezvous was phenomenal as we came in and checked out those sensors. Today; the undocking, watching how those systems performed, that went flawlessly. It's a very tight sequence between undocking and de-orbit burn, how the nose cone performed, how the de-orbit burn was executed, then the entry was phenomenal.

I don't think we saw really anything in the mission so far and we've got to do to the data reviews that would preclude us from having the crewed mission [DM-2] later this year."
                      ~~ Steve Stich, Commercial Crew Program Deputy Manager, NASA

"I can't believe how well the whole mission has gone. I think on every point, everything's been nailed, all the way along particularly this last piece. We were all very excited to see re-entry and parachute and drogue deploy and main deploy, splashdown everything happened just perfectly, right on time the way that we expected it to. It was beautiful."
                      ~~ Benji Reed, Director of Crew Mission Management, SpaceX
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Yay!! The US resumes human space flight this year!

Astronauts

Douglas G. Hurley: flew STS-135, the last Shuttle mission

Robert L. Behnken: 708 hrs in space, 37 hrs spacewalks

Both are married to astronauts.

(NASA JSC Director Mark Geyer/@DirectorMarkG)

Eric Berger ✔ @SciGuySpace
                        Here at Johnson Space Center with @DirectorMarkG talking about the space agencys budget. This is a really good budget for NASA.
                        |
                        Eric Berger ✔ @SciGuySpace (Ars)
                        Geyer: "We're looking at summer-fall for SpaceX's Demo-2 flight."
                        12:31 PM - Mar 11, 2019

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 March 2019, 19:25.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                        X