X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DP World Cargospeed (Hyperloop cargo)

Oh, my....

Hyperloop for cargo?

Virgin's Richard Branson and Dubai port operator team up on ultra-fast transporter

DP World and Virgin Hyperloop One are collaborating to launch ultra-fast hyperloop for cargo.

DP World Cargospeed is designed to deliver goods at speeds of up to 620 miles per hour and link to existing roads, rail and air infrastructure.

Hyperloop is a super-fast ground transport method first envisioned by Tesla founder Elon Musk, which promises to be faster than air travel but also cheaper.
    >
    DP World Cargospeed will aim to deliver goods at speeds of up to 620 miles per hour and link to existing roads, rail and air infrastructure. A timeline for completion was not specified.

Hyperloop is the super-fast ground transport method first envisioned by Tesla founder Elon Musk, which promises to be faster than air travel but at a fraction of the cost.

Hundreds of millions of dollars have already been invested in designing these systems, and Virgin Hyperloop One is one of just a few companies racing to do so.

Chaired by Virgin Group CEO and billionaire entrepreneur Branson, the U.S.-based company will be providing the technology behind the project. DP World is its largest investor.

Dubai-based DP World is the Middle East's largest port operator and has a portfolio of over 65 marine terminals across six continents.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Arab Business...

>
    Hyperloop CEO Rob Lloyd said a 10-15 kilometre demo track would be built first before construction began along the full route.

The partnership is currently looking at projects in India and the Middle East, but Lloyd they may also look to work in Canada and the United States.

"By the end of the year, I believe we could actually have three government-funded and supported projects underway, two of which could begin construction in 2019 and one in 2020," he told AFP.
    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

This sounds like the the development that will get the hyperloop tech up and running. Using hyperloop for cargo is such an no brainer, it will allow the tech develop and iron out the glitches and become more stable mainstream tech.
      Well before they start dealing with transporting people and the possible /inevitable "incident"

Comment

So far there are three versions,

Loop: electric "skates" transport cars, trucks & minibuses at up to 150 mph. Regional & local.

Hyperloop: passenger pods at up to 800 mph. Inter-city.

Cargospeed: cargo at up to 620 mph. Up to international.

While SpaceX, Virgin, Boom Technology, and a consortium (BAE, Boeing, LockMart etc.) + Reaction Engines, are working on SST, HST and suborbital international flights.

Whew....
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The problem with cargo is logistics and compiling railroad compositions. In Slovenia in past railroads bought trucks and instead of transporting goods by train competed directly with truck companies. The problem with trains is that it takes a week or two to deliver what would have been delivered by truck in couple of days.

Another problem is capital and misalocation. See 2nd half of 19th century and long depression in 1873.

Since Branson is competent in logistics as opposed to Musk, this might actually work.

Edit: Watched this what happened to hovertrain video randomly last week. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUXEFj0t7Ek Couple of months ago brother found my childhood book on trains with all pictures from Rocket over Mallard, Shinkansen, TGV to Hovertrain. Since I grew up there hasn't been much progress, except faster TGV.
          Last edited by UtwigMU; 3 May 2018, 06:52.

Comment

In the US we have massive interstate highway, airport and rail systems spanning most of the inhabited continent. What Hyperloop would add is ground transportation at airline speeds.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Saudi Arabia too, and another test run for Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman,

America's Virgin Hyperloop One has released video of a demonstration of its full-scale Hyperloop system in action at the company's Mojave test site. The latest demonstration was conducted on Monday for a Saudi Arabian delegation that included Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman Al Saud. No details were released but in VHO's first full-scale test conducted last...

America's Virgin Hyperloop One has released video of a demonstration of its full-scale Hyperloop system in action at the company's Mojave test site. The latest demonstration was conducted on Monday for a Saudi Arabian delegation that included Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman Al Saud.

No details were released but in VHO's first full-scale test conducted last December the Hyperloop pod reached speeds in excess of 240 mph. VHO's targeted top speed for its Hyperloop is 670 mph
              >
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 June 2018, 18:39.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
              X