No announcement yet.

raspberry pi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The read-only part is not an issue... the procedure is necessary to make a SquashFS partition of it (needed by Berryboot) and save it back as an image, but if I cannot mount it I cannot make the SquashFS partition.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

What if you dd image to /dev/sdg (sd card or usb), change, then dd to actual hdd?

I know I may be kicking in the dark here but I'm trying to provide ideas and input.

Comment

I will try... but it will have to wait till next week...
        pixar

Comment

Still haven't tried it as I was messing around with other ideas, perhaps using a graphical OS for all purposes.

The idea of using a Raspbian for multibooting works: Berryboot is configured with a default Raspbian, and in that one there are scripts (e.g. on the desktop) that modify the runonce file (setting the next boot image) and reboot. This reboot even skips the Berryboot menu, so it boots up really fast. This makes it interesting to get a cheap touchscreen: even if it does not work in Berryboot, it is enough if it works in Raspbian. And this is a bit the reason why I stopped looking at converting the img file to SquashFS: if there is a touchscreen, perhaps it would be more interesting to use it for the different functionalities I would put on it. So a headless OS seems less interesting (and most of the img files I have were headless versions).
          pixar

Comment

I ordered the small touch screen... A huge promotion meant that it was just under 13 euros for the 3.5" touchscreen (320x480) that plugs into the GPIO and a plexi case that holds both. The touchscreen seems to have a well supported chipset, so for sure it should work on Raspbian (not sure if it will work easily on Berryboot, but I have a workaround for that). Quite a long delivery though, so I won't have it soon.
            pixar

Comment

Just to report back: the touchscreen works as well as you can expect such a cheap thing to work. The drivers comprise a customized kernel, so that limits some things (e.g. you cannot run it inside a berryboot, as that one also runs a customized kernel); you also cannot update the kernel. The drivers do install on an existing Raspbian, so no need to get their customized distribution.

The screen has about 8 fps, so not usable for making a portable media player or game station and you cannot switch off the backlight. I knew about the low fps, but only wanted it as a small status display so I did not care about it. It does not work with fbtft, although people are working on getting it to work (some have success by soldering things to the controller chips). You also cannot have a dual screen hdmi/small screen and you need a reboot to switch from one to the other.

To be honest, in retrospect, maybe I should have gone for the slightly more expensive hdmi model (13 euro more expensive) as that would have avoided the need for a driver, the backlight issue and the need for a reboot to switch. But at the price it was, my Raspberry pi is better protected by the case (which is ok - the screen is the top panel though) and it suffices for my uses for now. I'm not even sure what I'll use it for, so I did not want to spend too much; for at least one use I think off, the screen would suffice.
              Last edited by VJ; 14 May 2018, 04:11.
              pixar

Comment

And still no pics....
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                  And still no pics....
                  Would you believe it... I left my camera in the apartment...

But honestly, there is no much to make a photo of in this case.
                  pixar

Comment

Working...
                  X