Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Mystique, Mechwarrior II and refresh rates

(Pretend it's 20 years ago!)

I'm trying to get MechWarrior II running on the original Mystique with the Matrox enhancements, but it seems to try and run the screen at 85Hz (or not quite correct res/something) and no capture device I have or LCD screen can cope. The best I can get is 15 seconds or so on an old 19" HP LCD before it powers off but there's a big box saying 'out of range' in the middle of the screen.

Any idea what's up there?

Cheers,
    Steve

Originally posted by SteveC View Post
    (Pretend it's 20 years ago!)
    I should be studying, and not checking forums on how to run games on my up to date hardware! Next you'll have me playing Mechwarrior...

Any idea what's up there?
    Can you provide a bit more info:
    What OS are you using? How is the monitor connected (vga/dvi)? How many monitors are connected?
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I remember once applying a fix for G400 on Windows XP (i wanted to run my then CRTs at 85Hz but it would run them at 60 or 75) where the patch would change available monitor modes.

Perhaps there is a way to change monitor modes in control panel or by registry.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
        I should be studying, and not checking forums on how to run games on my up to date hardware! Next you'll have me playing Mechwarrior...

Can you provide a bit more info:
        What OS are you using? How is the monitor connected (vga/dvi)? How many monitors are connected?
        DVI? It's the original Mystique - single screen and DVI wasn't invented for 2 years yet

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
          I remember once applying a fix for G400 on Windows XP (i wanted to run my then CRTs at 85Hz but it would run them at 60 or 75) where the patch would change available monitor modes.

Perhaps there is a way to change monitor modes in control panel or by registry.
          I have tried an old PowerStrip install and the game menus are fine, but when you get into the actual action part of the game it still it seems to go to some mode the LCD screens I have can't cope with. Anyone got a CRT they don't want any more?

Comment

I have tried an old PowerStrip install and the game menus are fine, but when you get into the actual action part of the game it still it seems to go to some mode the LCD screens I have can't cope with. Anyone got a CRT they don't want any more?
            Perhaps there is a game ini / config with video modes. I remember with Parhelia I used to edit game configs for available screen modes.

I have sold off all my CRTs long time ago but I'm sure you'll be able to buy one locally as shipping across Europe will cost more than CRT is worth. You could get a badass Eizo, Mitsubishi, Sony or Nokia CRT.

I'm sure if Haig were still around he'd have known the answer to this.

I too have box with two G400s, Parhelia and one Voodoo card at my father's place thinking of doing retro builds. The other day I saw some multimonitor post Parhelia but still Matrox GPU card for sale for like 100€. Was tempted to purchase it to write a mini review but other projects take priority.
            Last edited by UtwigMU; 11 February 2018, 13:42.

Comment

DVI? It's the original Mystique - single screen and DVI wasn't invented for 2 years yet
              Sorry.... had set the time machine to the wrong date...

But are you running it in Windows 95, XP or something newer?

I also recall of some Matrox application, mgatool or something like that, to add custom modes and resolutions. I think it also allowed you to force a refresh rate for a set resolution. But I can't seem to find it on the Matrox website...
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Yes, it's the mgatool or something like that that you need. I might have it on the old server that is currently offline.

Comment

Working...
                X