Budweiser in Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budweiser in Space

Launched to ISS on SpaceX Dragon CRS-13, arriving today.

Yes, they're serious about space agriculture. ISS already has the VEGGIE garden, the upcoming Deep Space Gateway station in lunar orbit may do more research, and SpaceX definitely has an interest (Musk,'s brother is involved in closed cycle "garden" development)

Budweiser Takes Next Step to Be the First Beer on Mars

NOVEMBER 21, 2017

Budweiser Takes Next Step to Be the First Beer on Mars

Budweiser Will Launch Barley into Space Next Month

Budweiser is upholding its commitment to be the first beer on Mars by confirming upcoming experiments on the International Space Station with plans to send and study barley – one of its key ingredients – into space in early December. The reason? Earlier this year at the South by Southwest conference, Budweiser announced its goal to be the first beer on Mars – offering a colonized red planet the same enjoyments provided here on earth, including fresh beer! And while socializing on Mars might be in the near-distant future, Budweiser is taking steps now to better understand how its ingredients react in microgravity environments so that when we get to Mars, Budweiser will be there.

To kick-start its research on microgravity beer, Budweiser is partnering with experts in the field, including CASIS* who manages the International Space Station U.S. National Laboratory, and Space Tango, a payload development company that operates two commercial research facilities within the National Lab. Together the group, along with Budweiser’s innovation team, will initiate two barley experiments via SpaceX’s upcoming cargo supply mission, scheduled to launch on December 4 from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida. Once on the International Space Station, Budweiser’s barley will stay in orbit for approximately one month before coming down to be analyzed.
    “Budweiser is always pushing the boundaries of innovation and we are inspired by the collective American Dream to get to Mars,” said Ricardo Marques, vice president, Budweiser. “We are excited to begin our research to brew beer for the red planet.”

Budweiser’s innovation team selected barley, one of its core ingredients, to be the focus of the first two experiments in space. Malting barley is a process that results in the high-quality malt used in the Budweiser enjoyed today and the research on the International Space Station will unveil how the barley seeds react in a unique microgravity environment. One of the experiments will focus on barley seed exposure with the second testing barley germination. Not only will the research offer insights on steps to creating beer on the Red Planet, but it could also provide valuable information on the production of barley and the larger agricultural community here on earth.

Scheduled to launch on Monday, December 4, twenty Budweiser barley seeds will be sent to the International Space Station, packaged in two Space Tango CubeLabs™ on SpaceX’s CRS-13 mission. The seedlings will be in orbit for approximately 30 days, before being brought back down to earth for Budweiser’s innovation team to analyze – setting the foundation and blueprint for Budweiser’s next move in brewing the beer of the future.

For more information, check out Budweiser on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and YouTube.

To learn more about CASIS visit www.iss-casis.org and to view the rocket launch live on December 4, visit www.SpaceX.com.

*CASIS stands for Center for Advancement of Science in Space, a non-profit, non-government organization that acts as the manager of the research facility on the International Space Station, with a focus on enabling a new era of space research to improve life on Earth.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 December 2017, 04:48.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Have you ever drank the real Czech Budweisser? If not I can buy and send couple of cans over.

Comment

Reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTWqCllw_SM
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

One of the best Heineken commercials evah!
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
          ROFL!!!!

I actually prefer beers from the many Michigan micro-brewerys, which are top tier. Many are restaurants with their own microbrew in the back, others are more widely distributed, but all are hell and gone better than mass produced beers. Light, dark, you name it.

Founder's, Bell's, Dark Horse, Atwater and over 150 others.

So many beers, so little time
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 December 2017, 04:28.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I wasn't going to comment on it... but in Belgium Heineken is generally frowned upon, with jokes such as:
            The bosses of Heineken and Duvel are having a drink together. The waitress comes: "What will you have"?
            Heineken-boss: "I'll have a Heineken!"
            Duvel-boss: "I'll have a water."
            Heineken-boss: "You're not drinking beer?"
            Duvel-boss: "No... If you are not drinking beer, then neither will I."
            But the ad was good.

We have an extensive beer tradition, with many small breweries... Some specialized beer places offer a selection 4000 different beers... Sorry Umf...
            Last edited by VJ; 18 December 2017, 09:52.
            pixar

Comment

I know the same joke but it includes Amstel (another big Dutch brand, actually part of the Heineken group). And yes, Belgian beers tended to be better. However, there are many smaller Dutch brands now that can give any Belgium beer a run for their money. Also, Belgian beers tend to be quite a bit stronger than the regular Dutch beers. Duvel, for instance, is 8.5% Vol as opposed to 5% for regular Dutch beers such as Heineken, Amstel, Brand, Grolsch etc. That is no comparison. A Duvel you drink for the taste only (and it is to heavy for my taste, I prefer Rochefort 6 or most Dutch "dubbels"). Our regulars are thirst-helpers (how would you say that in English, "dorstlessers"?). A general Jupiler (where is in the version of the Joke I know) is certainly not superior in any way to our beers.

There!
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Our breweries have been gobbled up by Heineken too. They are not bad and it's territorial. If you're from Central Slovenia you drink Union and if you're from the East you drink Laško. Those guys could only admit that our central beer is better once the companies have merged. We have some good microbreweries now as well here.

Who has sent the first alcohol to space? Was it the Russians with Vodka?

Here is brief history of alcohol in space.

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                  That is no comparison. A Duvel you drink for the taste only (and it is to heavy for my taste, I prefer Rochefort 6 or most Dutch "dubbels"). Our regulars are thirst-helpers (how would you say that in English, "dorstlessers"?). A general Jupiler (where is in the version of the Joke I know) is certainly not superior in any way to our beers.
                  I know it is not a fair comparison... We have some pils in Belgium (jupiler, stella artois, ...), but usually those are not the ones referred to when talking about Belgian beers. In a way, it is a shame that most people just know Heineken and not the better Dutch beers. Perhaps a suggestion: a lot of people I know like Hoegaarden as a "dorstlesser".
                  pixar

Comment

Working...
                  X