X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
    The problem with Windows is security.
    *Usual disclaimer... I work for Microsoft, but these opinions are my own.*

The big problem with Windows security is that companies force Windows into keeping archaic protocols and services because they refuse to remove them from their environment. Linux doesn't seem to have this problem. For some reason Linux admins are okay with dumping the old and dropping in the new, but if Microsoft announces a deprecation...all hell breaks loose.

For example, the standard support cycle for a Linux distro is 2-5 years. Linux admins seem cool with that. Windows 7/2008 R2 is over 9 years old and people are screaming "You can pry it out of my cold dead hands" when Microsoft tells people to upgrade. Even when we offer said upgrade for free.

All of the big exploits this year have been around SMB1, even Samba server wasn't immune from them, which was deprecated in 2013 and Microsoft has been telling people to disable it for years now. But enterprises screamed no, they need it for their legacy application, so it has remained.

Microsoft is clamping down on these legacy systems in Windows a lot lately. SMB1 is disabled by default on Win10 RS3 (Fall Creator's Update). The next release of Server 2016 won't have it installed by default (or that's the plan). A lot of the older techs are being removed, the newer techs are being clamped down, to prevent stuff like WannaCry. Lots of anti-ransomware has been added, in particular...if you run the latest versions of Windows.

There is even the rumor of a new version of Windows that is fully modular. Making users capable of completely stripping out parts of the OS they don't want.

Keep up with everything Windows Core OS with our handy guide that explains everything you need to know.

But in the end Windows security can only be as good as the user. We can't stop people from running a malicious package off the Internet and ignoring three security prompts that the program is harmful...

As Linux grows in popularity the security threats will start to pick up there too, like they have with Android, iOS, and OSX. Just a matter of time.

On a side note, I'm not bashing Linux in any way. It's a fantastic OS and I use it from time to time. But people think it's this white tower of flawless security and Windows doesn't have any security, and that is an erroneous statement. Both have their pros and cons in the security world.

Security aside, if you have unmetered Internet there's no reason not to use Cloud backup solutions. Many of them are super cheap and you can store your data at a location outside of the local constabulary's reach

Long-term, secure, durable Amazon S3 object storage classes for data archiving, starting at $1 per terabyte per month.

Protect against ransomware with a centralized cloud backup service and solution.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yes... It is a reason why I did not consider security in the choice of my OS: a regularly updated system in a private setting behind a good firewall ought to suffice for a user who pays attention.
      Main main objection with Windows in the server setting is the cost: for a headless installation it seems pointless to get to the Windows Professional version, particularly as I would not need any unique feature. I am willing to pay for it, but it should give me a clear benefit, which it does not in my particular setting as file server.
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Look at Windows Server Essentials 2016. It's not that expensive and is designed to create a single server solution for small businesses. It comes with 25 user seats and is pretty full featured.

After you run the setup wizard you get a domain, VPN, web access to your environment, easy user interface, and a bunch of other stuff all auto-configured. Basically you install a connector application on your Windows and Mac clients (there is a Mac client, but not Linux) and it joins the system to the domain. This also sets up automated backups and access to server shares, plus a VPN connection for laptops. It's one of Microsoft's best products, but not a lot of people know about it.

Learn about Windows Server Essentials edition, which is a cloud-connected first server designed for small businesses with up to 25 users and 50 devices.

If you don't want a domain, or all the other features, and just want a file server, look at FreeNAS. It's Linux-based storage done free and easy. It has good SMB3 support, which will help improve transfer speeds with Windows systems.

TrueNAS is the World's #1 Open Source Storage. Based on OpenZFS, it is trusted by millions and deployed worldwide.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

It is a simple home setting, not a company. So $550 for the os is a bit pointless in this situation.

As I want the server to act as TV server (using tuners), any BSD is out due to its poor support for TV cards. So the remaining candidates are Windows (Home/Professional) or something Linux-based.
          I'm testing Ubuntu Server, as it is quite a stripped Ubuntu, but have problems getting the Logitech Music server on it. It may be related to the fact that the Ubuntu Server 17.10 is brand new, but also to the fact that it is perhaps too stripped down. So I'll try a full Ubuntu first to see if it installs on that. I'll also run some tests on how to recover from a destroyed disk and so.
          pixar

Comment

One thing to note if you want to run music servers, etc... you'll probably virtualize them. In that case you may need VTd and possibly VTx on CPU - not all CPUs have those features. Also ECC is good for 24/7 box.

Otherwise Server Essentials costs 326€+VAT (ask someone to buy it through company if you don't have a VAT number company). I'd rather buy essentials server than Windows 10 if I were going with Windows as the OS. There are also HP and other OEM Server Essentials SKUs (slightly cheaper than MS) and sometimes they have good deals if you buy together with server box. Couple of years ago I did Essentials server on Entry HP proliant with 2 1TB drives - total cost of hardware + software was around 1000€. Bonus points: some entry level servers had Matrox G200
            Last edited by UtwigMU; 27 October 2017, 01:47.

Comment

Yes, but the thing is: if I just need some headless storage/media server, I should manage with a linux box and the money can be better spent on more disks to gain redundancy or additional backup. It is not a company situation.
              pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                If you have a mirror set in the sata host adapter (e.g. in Intel or Marvell), can you the take out a single harddisk and read it in a different system?
                I don't know and it does not seem easy to get this answered here.... Perhaps you should post pics first! LOL
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                  I don't know and it does not seem easy to get this answered here.... Perhaps you should post pics first! LOL
                  As tempting as it is to post a picture with a sata host adapter and a harddisk, I will refrain from doing so...
                  From what I've found online, it may or may not be possible and that depends on the adapter. So safest bet is to go with a software raid1.

So basically, the takeway so far from this thread is:
                  1. Redundancy
                  1. no weird raid constructions, simple mirroring (raid1) using a software raid
                  2. alternative when OS would be Windows: DrivePool

2. OS
                  1. Linux -> cheaper, better headless, should offer everything needed
                  2. Windows -> IMO possible fallback (particularly on homebuilt system)
                  pixar

Comment

2 OS if Windows then go with Server Essentials over Windows 10. Windows 10 has very aggressive updates and they can add or remove functionality on a whim while Essentials will probably be much more stable platform while not costing a lot more (together with hardware).

Comment

What is not much more? I'd like to go essentials but I don;t ever again want to buy 2nd-hand licenses that get blocked by MS. So I need it from an official MS Reseller.
                      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Server 1000€ + Win10 120€ = 1120€ Server 1000€ + Essentials 330€ = 1330€ = 18% difference

Comment

Yes... but I still feel it is overkill. I mean, it is a home situation. The main purpose is to store data in a safe way; it does not need 100% availability, just stable availability and easy recovery. So if you compare that to Server 1000 + Linux 0 = 1000 = 33% difference with Windows Server.
                          pixar

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                            Server 1000€ + Win10 120€ = 1120€ Server 1000€ + Essentials 330€ = 1330€ = 18% difference
                            Right, Annual rent of appartment + server + W10 = 5000, Annual rent of appartment + server... you get the idea. It's an addtional 6TB of storage which, on a total of 1330E will be quite a bit.

But I would settle for 330 for a truly legit WSE2016 OS (but for me, it'll be a business expense and do a lot more than VJs case).

Comment

It's 330+VAT at MS partner online store where I order most of hardware and software (on the order of 30k per year) for the company I work for.

As a business you can deduct VAT and if you're smart you'll find a way to buy it on a company. Here is the idea: Umfi can order server and any software online in EU through his company for VJ.

If you want to cheap out you can go through pain of installing Windows 7, then using activator. Then you can upgrade to Windows 10 so that your hardware gets entered in database. Then you can do clean install of Windows 10.
                              Last edited by UtwigMU; 3 November 2017, 15:53.

Comment

If that is an open license (not OEM) then I'd appreciate a link.

I don't do VAT-fraud unless it's for EUR 50+ million.

Comment

Working...
                                X