Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baltimore to Washington DC Hyperloop

Surprise, surprise....

It could also be a project where cars park on electric "skates" which transport them to their destination.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/920844783542853633

Elon Musk ✔@elonmusk
    Second boring machine almost ready. Will be called Line-Storm, after the poem by Frost. "And be my love in the rain."

https://electrek.co/2017/10/19/elon-...-baltimore-dc/

Elon Musks Boring Company is starting work on Baltimore-DC underground Hyperloop

Earlier this year, Musk announced a project to create an underground hyperloop system between New York and Washington DC.

Now we might have an idea where that new machine is going after what appears to be a new digging site spotted in Maryland today.

The idea is to leverage both the tunnel boring technology that the Boring Company is working on and Musks original idea for a new mode of transportation called hyperloop, which consists of pods with electric propulsion in a near-vacuum tunnel or tube in order to achieve extremely high speeds.

Now a site just south of Baltimore in Maryland with a visible The Boring Company logo was spotted this week by a Redditor DJB_2015 (update:it has since been deleted but reprinted with permission):

It looks like a staging area for the entrance of a digging site similar to what we have seen from The Boring Company at their tunnel entrance in SpaceXs parking lot.

Larry Hogan, Governor of the State of Maryland, confirmed that they are working with the company for a rapid electric transportation system between Baltimore and Washington DC:

https://twitter.com/LarryHogan/statu...46732733022208

Larry Hogan ✔@LarryHogan
    Our administration is proud to support The Boring Company to bring rapid electric transportation to MD connecting Baltimore City to D.C.
    >
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 October 2017, 15:54.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Doc, I like your science and tech posts because I'm not following this actively and it's good that you keep us in the loop. Don't think if we don't reply it's because we don't like them, in my case it's because I often don't have anything to add. Hyperloops would super cool as in Slovenia all our railways are mainly from 1850s when Franz Joseph reigned and average train speeds are 60km/h 37mph which was awesome for the time We have longest stone train bridge.

Comment

What UtwigMU said.
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

FYI, there's an ongoing plan to run a hyperloop from Helsinki to Stockholm and then on to Tallinn, Estonia. There are at least two or three other European projects in various stages and Dubai it's also very serious.

With all this going on some moves have started to happen, including the Virgin Group buying into Hyperloop One - a company which recently tested a prototype pod at over 200 miles an hour in a tube it was only 1,600 feet long. They need to extend the track.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 October 2017, 10:35.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
        X