Going to NYC for 4 days. Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to NYC for 4 days. Advice?

So my daughter and I are going to NYC for five days starting tomorrow.
    I haven't been there except for the airports since the 1964 World's Fair. So I may be a little out of date
    Any advice?
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

On Jammrock's advice I went to Junior's cheesecake there in March and it was delicious. They also had real coffee, not the brown water that Starbucks sells. Also don't wear a MAGA hat - I was actually able to buy one in NYC. Go to MOMA if modern art is your thing and go to Blue Note Jazz club if you like Jazz music. Don't use Uber, use public transit. I paid like 150$ to get from JFK to hotel in NJ but then spent less than 10$ to get back using bus and subway. Taxis are even more expensive than Uber. Burger is 15$, beer is 9$, Caesar sallad is 25$, Subway sandwich of the day is 7$.
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 12 October 2017, 12:11.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
      On Jammrock's advice I went to Junior's cheesecake there in March and it was delicious.
      I love cheese cake, but it's laughably not on my diet. sigh...
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

You are from US, so maybe this is a no-brainer, but for a European: those cityblocks you see on the map are big. Use public transport (e.g. metro) to quickly get from one place to another.

I was there in 2000 (man I'm getting old) and mainly walked around. I did got to two musicals (first time in my life) on Broadway - Cats and Phantom of the opera. The metropolitan museum is very nice; if your daughter has some particular interest in history/art that maybe a place to go. It is huge though, so you'll have to select what to do. I also visited the Guggenheim, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and some other things.

If you want to go to the top of the Empire State Building, you can check the visibility beforehand; if there is poor visibility there is not so much point to go up. Also, a sunset from the top of a high building (I saw a sunset from the top of the WTC and form the Eureka tower in Melbourne) is an amazing sight, so it is nice if you can plan that but it will take a bit of time.
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

If you are into Indian food, Aaheli at 9th & 54th is a small cozy BYOD restaurant where the food is great.

@VJ: I was in Manhattan in 2000 for a week for work. My condition was that I would get one day to walk around and I did. I was impressed by the high buildings but then I got into the WTC and actually looked down on them, that was weird. Also did my one and only musical there because the boss took me. I was like, why???? but I came away very impressed (Le Miserables).
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Indian food sounds great. I cooled way off today.
            Our hotel is downtown with a view of the Statue of Liberty
            N. B. Hotel downtown translates to lots of subway rides.
            Too right about pubic transport. An unlimited 7 day pass card is only $35. Well worth it.
            So far: Chinatown, Central Park, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, and lots of food.
            Also saw Cats and walked around Times Square.
            The street food is good and cheap. People are very friendly too.
            Start a tour of downtown ending in a trip to the observatory on One World Tower in a few minutes.
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
            X