Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Access to Android Tablet from Windows PC

Hi all,

I am looking for software that will allow me to operate an Android Tablet over the internet (not within a LAN). Need to provide some support to my step-father-in-law who is, well, rather illiterate and it is impossible to provide directions... Any suggestions? I have tried to find some but I either get RDP on tablet to PC or tablets through USB...
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

At one of my universities (sounds weird...), they use Teamviewer to remotely control pc's.

From their website, it looks like they also offer remote control of Android devices:

But it seems that this requires Teamviewer Premium or Corporate, so their free solution will not work.

Just to be clear: I have completely no experience with this, I just once used Teamviewer during one of my classes to have access to a different computer.

edit: at the cost of their Premium license, I would guess you'd prefer other solutions... But at least it shows that it can technically be done, perhaps there are free or at least cheaper alternatives...
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Yes, TV I found but at a cost and somewhat unfavourable reviews for the RC of Android devices part (PC to PC is great and Android to PC allegedly does well).
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

The website AlternativeTo.net/ is usually quite good at finding alternatives for given software. It gives this list for alternatives to TeamViewer on Android, but of course this list contains mainly android-to-pc solution. At first glance I found nothing in the list (apart from Droid VNC server, which is discontinued)

Just as an alternative route: can Skype share the desktop of an Android device? Because if it can, the only thing that would then be missing is the mouse/keyboard control, but maybe a different app can allow mouse/keyboard control over network...
        pixar

Comment

I remembered I played around with something and found it my google play library: Airdroid
          pixar

Comment

I don't get why all these tech illiterate people want to use the cool sh#t. Dudes in their 60's and 70's buy myriad of advanced electronic gadgets and then expect them to work via mind-machine interface. When their wishes don't happen they expect tech minded people to be all communist and give to each to his needs. I've had quite a few examples like that around me.

Tell him if he is too stupid to use a table to get a library membership, subscribe to newspaper and have his photos printed.

Comment

That is a bit harsh... I mean, society is forcing it somewhat... Some examples:
              1. Try doing banking stuff without internet: some banks don't allow it even, or charge ridiculous amounts.
              2. Try getting a damage claim from Brussels Airlines. Mail stays unanswered for 3 months, Facebook works in 24 hours.
              3. Contacting companies directly via mail (or now facebook) is so much more effective than calling.
              4. Try finding a compact analog camera with e.g. a bit of zoom.

Then there is the appeal of new possibilities, my father for example likes reading his newspaper; having a tablet allows him to read it when he is abroad (electronic newspaper subscription is free with the regular one). Childeren live far away (or as in my case: abroad), Skype etc. offers a way of staying connected. They are not blind to the evolution of technology, and of course they wonder if they cannot benefit from it. Why would they have to keep living in the dark ages?

My father got himself a tablet about 4 years ago, my mother laughingly commented "what will you do with it?". And his answer I think is still the best: "I don't know, but I should try to learn those things now, because in 10 years time I might have to use such things but then I won't be able to start from scratch".
              I got him an Android tablet, but am a bit regretting that choice. My iPad is one year older and has suffered far less issues (weird bugs, freezing, slowdowns, ...) than his. It just works more reliably - and I got him one of the top range Samsungs. I just thought it would be more open that Apple. But for his next one, I'm going to get him an Apple. Changing between different android versions or changing from android to ios is not so different for the things he uses. Now it will probably be time to get him a smartphone, so for that I'm also looking at iPhone. First because it just seems easier to use, second because I'm not there for tech support.

But also: why do things have to change so much? My father got a digital camera about 10 years ago. He knew how to use it, and how to transfer photos (using the Canon software). But there there was an update of the Canon software, and it suddenly does not support some functions. Most notable where the change to how to select multiple photos (no longer with ctrl as it is normal in Windows), and the omission of drag and drop. Two functions that he used often. I can understand that some changes happen, but quite often the changes make it worse. And now he needs a new camera, but we will have to check how to transfer photos easily. And then hope it is not changed too much over time. So, don't get me wrong, I understand you, but I also understand that things got more complicated. You used to buy a TV and it worked exactly the same for the whole time it functioned, same functionality, same operation. Now, one update can really affect the why it is used.
              Last edited by VJ; 3 October 2017, 07:16.
              pixar

Comment

OK, so he lives in the middle of nowhere in Normandy, try find a library there. With books in Dutch.

And actually, having gadgets work via mind-machine interfaces is something that would greatly enhance the productivity of machines!

Methinks friends & family have needed your help a bit to much

Comment

I would say for less technical people Apple is better than Android. Also tablets are a bit stale and since Apple has biggest share they invest most in R&D and maintaining compared to Android makers.

There is Slovenian competitor to TeamViewer, they are called ISL. My classmates are among the founders and I did some work for them once.
                  ISL Online is a reliable and simple to use remote desktop software. You can provide remote support or connect to unattended remote computers from your mobile device or computer.

I'm not deeply familiar with their current client but it does offer mobile device support. Try it out.

As for cameras: I recently bought a Canon film SLR and 50mm F1.4 Canon lens (all made in Japan). I took pictures of nephew on film and had them scanned and printed. Costs about 1€/picture. I did it the old way because I think brother might loose files decades from now while prints and film will be there.
                  Here is an example of picture taken last month on film with Canon Scottish band by i see world in lines, on Flickr. Shooting film is easy now. You mail the film to shop and you get film + scans, then order prints. You can buy used film compacts or small SLRs + Zoom lenses cheaply. Go to kenrockwell.com for reviews and info on film cameras.

Best for transferring pictures from digital camera to computer is SD card and reader.
                  Last edited by UtwigMU; 3 October 2017, 08:05.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                    As for cameras: I recently bought a Canon film SLR and 50mm F1.4 Canon lens (all made in Japan). I took pictures of nephew on film and had them scanned and printed. Costs about 1€/picture. I did it the old way because I think brother might loose files decades from now while prints and film will be there. Shooting film is easy now. You mail the film to shop and you get film + scans, then order prints. You can buy used film compacts or small SLRs + Zoom lenses cheaply.
                    I don't see my parents going back to film after >10 years of digital. It is much less bulky and the are so used to composing the photo using the monitor.

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                    Best for transferring pictures from digital camera to computer is SD card and reader.
                    It was so nice with the program, automatically transferring just those photos that were needed, organized in folders, ... But a card reader (or using the camera without its special software) seem indeed the more solid way to go.

Problem now is that his camera is dead. And he does not like the bulk (it was a Canon Powershot G5); add to that they are very unhappy of a compact Sony (with reason: it shuts down when it gets slightly warmer, and its stabilizer causes vibrations like a phone ringing - of course out of warranty. And he saw people using their smartphones as a camera and considers it may be good enough for them. So I'm now thinking iPhone with ample storage (with cheap compact as backup plan)... or would I risk Android (but I feel I have to "manage" and "nurture" my Androids much more than my iPad). It will depend a bit on how much he wants to spend, but he usually follows my advice. Choices... choices...
                    pixar

Comment

For parents consider Fuji X100 or s, t, f (depending on your budget). It has both viewfinder and screen and digital picture from sensor in viewfinder. All important controls are metal knobs, takes great pictures with defaults. As for phone I think iPhone is better for less technical people.

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of a simple Canon Ixus: my parents don't really need much and portability rates high. For sure it will be more capable than a smartphone, has a bit of zoom and is very compact. A shame that there are not many cameras that you can charge on micro usb (only olympus has some).

But we are deviating: umfriend, any luck with the remote control thing?
                        pixar

Comment

For portability consider Sony RX100. It's really small, has good sensor.

Umfi, sorry for the off-topic. Have you tried ISL light how is everything getting along.

Comment

Bad experiences with a small Sony: screen needed to be replaced as an internal coating peeled off, camera overheats and shuts down in non-extreme conditions, camera shakes itself using the stabilizer motors (at random, like a phone going off). So no compact Sony for now... But I will find a camera, don't worry. Important will be the feel in my father's hands (small buttons, ...) but he will have to decide that.
                            pixar

Comment

Working...
                            X