iPhone 8 X thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone 8 X thoughts

Apple introduced new iPhones today with features others already had 2-3 years ago. What strikes me is the X at 1000-1150 price point. Currently flagships cost 600-750 and I Apple is already loosing marketshare. To me 1000$ iPhone looks like high end ~2005 feature phones which were as good in use (color screen, browser, camera) as midrange phones but had swarowski crystals to justify 800 price tag.

the iPhone X, just like the iPad Pro is not for everyone. I don't care if other phones had edge to edge screens or wireless charging for years now, I am still excited to see it come to the iPhone. Yes over due but it's there.
    If I had the money I would buy the X, but now its a wait and see how much carriers will offer the phone with a 2 year contract. Otherwise I will have to upgrade to the 8 plus at some point.

Comment

The more I use my phones, the more I'm beginning to see the point of an iPhone... I'm now on my 3rd Android phone in 7 years; the most recent one I got in September last year, an LGE K8 LTE dual sim. But it just is too cheap: it has too little memory to be useful. With not many apps installed, I always have to clean up things or it fails app updates; it is just a matter of time before cleaning up won't help. None of the phones I got ever got Android updates. I also have an iPad which is 6 years old, and just now stopped getting updates (it was not updated to iOS 10, but still received security udpates). The iPad also was the lower end model, but I never had to worry about memory issues and failing updates. If you make the calculation: what android phone gives you enough memory to not have to worry about issues, then a basic iPhone is actually at a competitive price.

I got my father an android tablet some years ago, and it was a higher range Samsung (I did not want him to have memory issues or so), but my iPad aged much better when it comes to support and updates. To add to that, a second tablet for my mother had a different android version, so even for usability it differs quite a bit from his. If he would now want a smartphone (which I guess is the next thing), of a new tablet, I would actually consider apple. The move between android versions (for what he needs) will not be that different from the move to ios, and at least I think it will be a less problematic device for its lifetime.

I think the iPhone X got a bit too much attention due to its pricepoint. As elie said: it is not aimed and everyone. Problem is that most will just consider it as it is the top model iphone, and for many people showing off is important...
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I am still sad Blackberry OS 10 died. The Z30 was the best phone I ever had and OS10 UI beats both iOS and Android. Donnow why but I always end up loving losers (cough* Matrox cough*).
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
        X