SpaceX spacesuit revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpaceX spacesuit revealed

They said it would fit into the Ender's Game universe, and they weren't kidding.

elonmusk: First picture of SpaceX spacesuit. More in days to follow. Worth noting that this actually works (not a mockup). Already tested to double vacuum pressure. Was incredibly hard to balance esthetics and function. Easy to do either separately.

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I'm intreaged about the shoulder/arm seals, and how the helmet connects.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Both are flexible. Rumors are they've been working with a major tire/rubber company, so I'd bet much of this has been on joints.

Former astronaut (3 shuttle missions, 2 full & 1 parital ISS expeditions, 3 spacewalks, NEEMO 5 aquanaut) Garrett Reisman (PhD Mech. Engineering) is their Director of Space Operations. He's worn it for post-splashdown water egress tests and said that it's way better than the shuttle ACES suits with many new innovations. 2 other astronauts have also said it's impressive.

As if SpaceX could resist tweaking, not to mention it's the forerunner of their BEO/Mars suits.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 August 2017, 23:23.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Everyday Astronaut got close-ups of the SpaceX spacesuit

How the faceplate opens: two buttons, one on each side of the jaw line. Press simultaneously and the clamshell opens.

Both Boeing and SpaceX have upped the spacesuit game from NASA's ACES and Russia's Sokol.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 August 2018, 16:37.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Seems they might have slightly reduced view range unless the flexibility allows the helmet to turn a bit.

Comment

The neck is flexible. They worked on it with one of the major tire & rubber companies.

You see all the umbilical ports on the other suits? SpaceX's has a single umbilical carrying everything with a quick-connect on the upper right thigh. Tons of innovations like these, and the astronauts have spoken highly of the them and the custom fit. Also male/female versions.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Sounds like a future video will have Tim putting on the SpaceX flight suit. Their EVA suit is still in development.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
              X