Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LA Speed Test: SR-71 follies (fun with ATC and the Navy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA Speed Test: SR-71 follies (fun with ATC and the Navy)

This is the short version of a true story from the book 'Sled Driver: Flying The World's Fastest Jet' by the narrator: Maj. Brian Shul, USAF (Ret)

At 89,000 feet and 2,000 knots/hr (2,300 mph/3,700 kph) they were doing about Mach 3.49.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 July 2017, 22:34.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I love that story. I can't wait to see what the air speed of the SR-71 replacement is.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The SR-71 was replaced decades ago: The direct replacement in 1992 was the KH-11 Block III Satellite...KH-11 birds are basically Hubbles which point at the earth and have different focusing gear. They have since been replaced by the "KH-12" IKON-series KH-11 satellite: These satellites are Optical Imaging.

Rhyolites and NORS/ Intruders handle SigInt and RORSAT Duties.

These are the ones they talk about semi-publicly/ anecdotally.

The really secret stuff we'll probably never see or hear about unless something goes wrong or someone squeals: Stealth Satellites, Active Background matching (the genesis of which dates all the way back to WWII).
      Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Originally posted by MultimediaMan View Post
        The SR-71 was replaced decades ago: The direct replacement in 1992 was the KH-11 Block III Satellite...
        >
        The Lockheed Martin Skunk Works confirmed to Aviation Week that the SR-72 is a go. Combined cycle dual engines, Mach 6 strike-recon with the optionally manned flight research vehicle (FRV) the size of an F-22 flying in the early 2020's. Aerojet Rocketdyne is said to be pretty much done with the engine.

10+ years to the full size bird, unless you believe in them sandbagging. I do.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I can't even imagine the material science needed to fly at MACH 6, let alone the engine tech. That's going to be an amazing bird.

Comment

Doc: Is there any point in making it manned (even optionally)? I mean, it adds weight, puts restrictions on shape and limits maneuverability...

Jammrock:
            I started googling... The Nasa X-43 reached Mach 9! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_X-43
            But yes, the science behind this must be crazy... particularly as there is no test-bed (wind-tunnel, etc) that could help with simulations/experiments...
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

They've had unmanned rocket based "planes" hitting the higher MACH speeds, like the X-43. MACH 6 and manned is pretty amazing.

Though I'm still waiting for someone to figure out single stage to orbit (SSO). That's when solar exploration will get interesting. Right now it's barely feasible to go to Mars because of the difficulties of getting back off Mars. But if we can make a vehicle capable of atmospheric escape without boosters... that makes exploration a bit more plausible.

Comment

Hmmm the SR can go a wee bit faster than published records state. Take your 2300 divide in half add that result to the original and you'll get a better idea.

The pulse engines used on the replacement caused excessive stress for the airframe which was why the SR's were recommissioned and are still flying. Mach 6, polease, we were doing that back in the mid 1960's!
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe View Post
                  Mach 6, polease, we were doing that back in the mid 1960's!
                  SHHHHHHH!!! We're not supposed to know that. I did have an Air Force friend that said MACH 6 was a more accurate speed for the SR-71. Something about doing a recon flight to South America in the middle of the world record run from LA to London.

But since those are unofficial numbers I generally don't use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
                    MACH 6 and manned is pretty amazing.
                    True.... but what is the point? I mean, it just makes everything much more expensive, while automated flight systems combined with remote control should be no issues at the altitudes those planes fly at those speeds...

So, from I technical point I think it is great that they are working on it, and the only practical thing could be developments for faster civil planes... But for just military use, I am missing the point of making it manned... )
                    pixar

Comment

1904 <------> 1964 <-----·> Today
                      Wright Brothers, SR-71 (fastest plane), still nothing faster

Similar timeline can be made for Apollo. According to GW Bush in 2003 we should have gone back next year. Instead of flying cars and Moon Base we have fidget spinners and transgender bathrooms.

Comment

Yup... it is depressing... The sheer visible technological developments in those days were mind boggling.

If you add a few years, you can even add the moon landing and Concorde to the list (first flight in 1969).
                        Adding a few more years: there have been no manned moon landings in my lifetime. Space Shuttle came and went...

I know there are a lot of developments happening still, but somehow they are just more and better iterations of the same...
                        pixar

Comment

USAF, Lockheed, Reaction Engines and RR may stir things up with the fighter-class Skylon air breathing rocket engine that's heading for the test stand.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

There is a very nice article on the history and technical challenges related to supersonic and hypersonic flight on NewAtlas (formerly Gizmag):
                            If there's one word that keeps military planners from sleeping at night, it's "hypersonic." The ability to fly at more than five times the speed of sound holds the promise of getting to the antipodes in less time than it takes to drive across town. However, it also makes possible deadly weapons…
                            pixar

Comment

you guys don't think that the whole electronics things that happened between 64 and 17 doesn't count at 'very visible' tech development?
                              "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                              "Lobsters?"
                              "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                              "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Working...
                              X