• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP: Adam West at 88, 1960's Batman

At 88 years from leukemia

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/obi...ies/102703450/

Adam West, who played 1960s-era Batman, dies at 88

Los Angeles Adam West, whose straight-faced portrayal of Batman in a 1960s TV series lifted the tight-clad Caped Crusader into the national consciousness, has died at age 88, his family said Saturday on a verified Facebook page.

West died Friday night after a short but brave battle with leukemia, the family statement said.

West played the superhero straight for kids and funny for adults. He initially chaffed at being typecast after Batman went off the air after three seasons, but in later years he admitted he was pleased to have had a role in kicking off a big-budget film franchise by showing the characters wide appeal.

"You get terribly typecast playing a character like that," he told The Associated Press in a 2014 interview.

"But in the overall, I'm delighted because my character became iconic and has opened a lot of doors in other ways, too." He returned to the role in an episode of the animated The Simpsons.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

May he rest in peace
    Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
    ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

I remember watching this batman series as a kid (reruns in the 80s) and also remember being puzzled by it. It was not comedy, it was not serious either, but still I wanted to see it.

A few years ago he appeared in the Big Bang Theory, as himself... making a bit of fun on the whole batman-typecasting.
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

In the 80s we sang the tune to much amusement (under the influence of somesort), was kinda a cult hit in my group.

RIP
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
          In the 80s we sang the tune to much amusement (under the influence of somesort), was kinda a cult hit in my group.

RIP
          I wonder if the current generation knows what follows "nanananananananananananananananana...."
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I saw him at the Fan Expo here in Toronto last year, glad I did. He still had a good spirit and loved his fans.
            May you rest in peace!

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
              I wonder if the current generation knows what follows "nanananananananananananananananana...."
              LOL. My kids learned not to long ago when I bought a cap from a brand called Bart. banana etc Bartmuts, van..., Bartmuts, Bartmuts, BartMuts.

That works.
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Pretty cool: Los Angeles lighting Bat-signal for Adam West

Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                X