funny car problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• funny car problem

Just to see if there are people here who have had the same experience or know the problem that can happen with a car. Imagine the following:

1. you indicate left
    2. you hit the brake pedal
    effect: indicator blinks twice as fast

What causes this?

I thought it was a funny problem ... although my opinion on that may change when I see the bill to fix it .
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Probably the brake lights using up more current? Is it the Polo?

Comment

are all the lights working? any burnt out?
      As VJ indicated, it could also be a current issue.

Comment

Is it the inside indicator that blinks twice as fast?
        That usually means a burned out signal light on the outside of the car.
        That's because the broken filament makes the voltage drop less across the blinker solenoid making it cycle faster.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
          Probably the brake lights using up more current? Is it the Polo?
          It is the Polo...

Originally posted by Elie View Post
          are all the lights working? any burnt out?
          As VJ indicated, it could also be a current issue.
          That was UtwigMU who indicated a current issue.
          The car passed the technical check just last week. I'm currently away, my girlfriend notified me of the problem with it. I'm not sure if someone checked if all the lights are working, nor if this changes when braking.

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
          Is it the inside indicator that blinks twice as fast?
          That usually means a burned out signal light on the outside of the car.
          That's because the broken filament makes the voltage drop less across the blinker solenoid making it cycle faster.
          That I knew... But it only blinks twice as fast when braking. If you don't brake, it blinks normally.

I've googled a bit and found that this symptom is often caused by a faulty earthing, most common cause is corrosion. From what I read, it may require replacing the panel on which the lights are attached.
          Friday it goes for service...
          pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
            That I knew... But it only blinks twice as fast when braking. If you don't brake, it blinks normally.

I've googled a bit and found that this symptom is often caused by a faulty earthing, most common cause is corrosion. From what I read, it may require replacing the panel on which the lights are attached.
            Friday it goes for service...
            Missed that. Man, that sucks. Good luck.
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

On my 6N2 GTI I replaced both front indicators as the attaching mechanism was broken and indicators looked like they were going to fall off. It was around 30€ per indicator - original VW parts. Also for parts check German ebay.
              Last edited by UtwigMU; 10 May 2017, 01:16.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                That was UtwigMU who indicated a current issue.
                Oops sorry, my bad

Comment

Diagnose came in: a short circuit between the wires connecting the lightbulbs at the connectors of the lightbulbs. The connectors got burned causing a problem with the earthing. They cleaned it now, but given the state they cannot guarantee that it will be ok. The new parts have been ordered: a panel, 2 connectors and some cable. They say it is a thing that can happen with age, most likely some water caused the short circuit.

Interestingly they commented: good that it is an older model. The same can happen on a new model, but when it occurs on a new model they just have to replace the entire light unit, which for those new units is quite a big expense. So... evolution?
                  pixar

Comment

Working...
                  X