Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tesla Semi, Roadster, Pickup...(Semi video, Roadster 2 with rockets ?!?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla Semi, Roadster, Pickup...(Semi video, Roadster 2 with rockets ?!?)

Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
    Tesla Semi truck unveil set for September. Team has done an amazing job. Seriously next level.
    >
    Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
    @SamGonzales Next gen Roadster will be convertible
    >
    Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
    @NoahMagel Pickup truck unveil in 18 to 24 months

Jerome Guillen, Teslas VP of Vehicle Programs, is in charge of the Semi program. Before Tesla he was in charge of Daimlers Cascadia semi-truck program.

They're also working on a Tesla Van, described as a VW van inspired vehicle. I'm betting it's a Pickup variant. Low hanging fruit once you have the chassis etc.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 June 2018, 17:50.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Short Twitter video of Tesla Semi on the highway. They're using them to haul batteries from the Reno, Nevada Gigafactory to the Tesla factory in Fremont, California. They draw a LOT of attention.

The location of Teslas European Gigafactory, for both batteries and cars, looks to be in Germany near the French border.

The Asian Gigafactory will be in Shanghai producing batteries, Model 3 and Model Y (a Model 3-based crossover.) Model Y will be revealed in late 2018 to early 2019.

Tesla Roadster 2 will do 0-60 in 1.9 and top out at 250 mph. The SpaceX performance package will add 10 cold gas thrusters around its perimeter, propelled by a large composite overwrapped pressure vessel containing air. Enhanced acceleration & braking, and cornering stabilization. Similar to work Bosch has been doing with motorcycle cornering stabilization.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 June 2018, 18:07.
    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Both thrusters may not be similar. Tesla plans to use COPV as thrusters, as they can be re-used without requiring servicing.
      Back in November 2017, a new generation of the Tesla Roadster was revealed, with production scheduled to start in 2020. Skip forward to February this year, and the Roadster made global headlines again. But this time it was Elon Musk's own Roadster, which was launched into space atop a Falcon Heavy…

The Bosch system is said to use gas accumulators not unlike the ones in airbags.
      Manufacturers go to great lengths to make their motorcycles as safe as possible and usually the task is handled by electronics, such as traction control, cornering ABS and electronic suspensions. Apparently, no one had thought to employ rockets to help a bike stay upright. Until Bosch, that is.

Details are unclear at this time, but it appears they may need refilling or replacing before they can be used again. At the moment it seems like are really intended as a last resort rescue.

I can get the reason why Tesla wants such features (bragging rights, coolness factor), but it gets a bit crazy when you go to sub 2-second 0-100 kph acceleration times. I feel people no longer need convincing that electric cars can perform as supercars, the main focus should be on getting the technology to trickle down to cheaper cars that more people can afford.
      Without any government aid, such as in Poland, an electric VW Up! (which is the smallest VW here in Europe, below the Polo which sits below the Golf) costs about the same as a VW Sharan (mono-volume) and positions it price-wise just under the VW Arteon (the largest non-suv in the VW range). At more than twice the price of a Golf, more than triple the price of a Polo and more than four times the price of a fuel-powered Up!, this makes it the fourth-expensive model in their 16-model line-up (in Europe). Factor in that it has only 160 km of range, and you are left with quite a limited use small but very expensive car. Even if you count cheaper use and maintenance, the economics just don't work out yet.
      Last edited by VJ; 21 June 2018, 02:04.
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

The COPV 2.0 (next-gen) will only be a storage tank located where the rear seats were removed. The thrusters themselves will be similar to those units used to maneuver Falcon 9 first stages on the way down to a landing. They're powerful enough that a short burst will cause a 40t-45t (30t + 10t-15t of props) booster to flip 180° after upper stage separation.

Look closely and you'll see the cold gas thruster fire in this NROL-76 mission footage. Some of the best separation, re-entry burn and approach/landing video yet.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 June 2018, 02:41.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
        X