Windows 10 Creators update issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 Creators update issues

Hi guys, I updated to the Creators edition and noticed the following issues...

1-Slower boot up times
    2-slower FPS in games
    3-weird application behavior, some apps would take too log to open.
    4-Internet Explorer crashes occasionally.

I am reinstalling windows 10 with the anniversary update. Not going creators until they fix all the bugs.

Didn't notice it but I mostly use Outlook, Word, Esysadmin apps (bash, mremote, esxi client), youtube and some surfing. With previous version I had BSODs and with Creator's I haven't gotten one yet.
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 10 April 2017, 13:23.

Comment

I just updated a computer to the Windows Creators Update (I still think it is a stupid name), and it all went quite smooth. One minor issue: on the first reboot, the network menu (when clicking the network icon) did not open, preventing me from connecting to a wifi network; but the next reboot was fine. I forced the update in order to have control over when it downloads things, on a slow/unstable connection a background download could have too much impact.

A colleague ran into numerous issues, rendering 3 laptops in a non-bootable state. Not sure what happened, but he claims the harddisks were no longer found after the first reboot. He also claims that booting via USB did not help. That would surprise me though, but he is one of the guys who manages PCs at work... Anyway, I had no such issues.

The machine seems to run fine, not better, not worse than before. But like UtwigMU, the machine is used as simple office-style machine.
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I'm using two laptops
        T540p with i7 4600M 2.9GHz 2c4t, 8GB RAM, Samsung 840p 250GB SSD, Nv GT730M
        T420s with i7 2620M 2.7GHz 2c4t, 8GB RAM, Toshiba 250GB SSD, Nv NVS 4200M (GT520M)

I have Windows 10 Creators update on the T540 and openSUSE Leap 42.2 on the T420. Last week I spilled coffee on the keyboard of T540 so I wasn't using it at home over the weekend waiting for replacement keyboard to arrive. I was surfing internet, watching youtube, etc... on slightly inferior T420s.

When I came to work and turned on the T540 it felt sluggish running multiple Opera tabs compared to T420s running multiple Opera tabs. Suse also boots and restarts a lot faster.

Another example. On Suse I add custom app to applauncher (start menu), when I start typing name of the app it is found. On Windows 10 I add app shorctut to Programdata\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs and it is not found when I start typing (might need restart of explorer, reboot or reindexing).

On Windows I have to download steam, click next, confirm security prompt, next.. On Linux I add community repos and type zypper in steam in root command prompt.

This is where Windows is now, it is at the level of community supported Linux distro.
        Last edited by UtwigMU; 26 April 2017, 05:49.

Comment

A bit annoying that they are pushing these hololens and 3d things. I fully feel that Hololens is the future, but now it is much too early to push it down people's throat. The number of people that can use it are very limited. The push to 3d is also artificial: it has no applications, there are virtually no 3D monitors and the number of people that work with 3D printers are very limited still.

Mixed Reality Portal? Wireless Display Media Viewer?
          (neither of those launch, but you cannot uninstall them. Still have to figure out how to remove them from the start menu)

Paint3D, View3D.
          Nice... But I'm not going to use them. No way of uninstalling these.

In general, I feel they made a bit of a mess with applications: some are considered features, some are listed in windows components, some are in the windows store, others are installed and some others appear in the menu but are nowhere to be found. I love to keep a minimal system, but in Windows 10 that became nearly impossible.

I used to have a fully organized multilevel start menu, but now it is stuck to one level. I resorted to using the tiles as shortcuts for the applications I use and basically ignore the traditional startmenu. That works as long as I do not have too many applications and can put them in the some panel, but still, some things feel like a step backwards.
          pixar

Comment

Yes especially 3D paint. Usually I use mspaint to save screenshots. alt prt scr win r mspaint ctrl v alt f a type name. Now this workflow is broken because of 3d paint which no one uses. I also ripped old calculator from Windows 7 and installed it on 10 because some keyboard stuff on new is different.

On suse KDE start menu is already arranged in categories internet, multimedia, games and when you install steam or pillars of eternity it goes in games, exactly the way I like it.

Comment

I've reached the point that I minimize what I use of the OS.
              I have a folder full of portable applications, ranging from my Thunderbird and Firefox to LibreOffice and pdf viewers and editors and I just put that folder on my system. That way, I am sure that there are no strange background processes when I did not launch an application (e.g. in Windows 10, the mail client cannot be stopped, it just hides). And then I just launch the applications I need (I put shortcuts on the start menu) and open files etc from there.

It limits functionality a bit, but at the same time I don't have to worry about deciding whether or not to reinstall windows (reinstall, copy the folder, make the shortcuts and done). Also on low-end systems, it is easier to have control over everything. But basically, I would not mind a fully stripped OS, where e.g. a basic text editor (notepad) and a file viewer (jpg, png, maybe pdf) are the most advanced pre-installed applications.

Surprisingly, on my girlfriend's computer, Windows runs smoother than Linux Mint. I suspect it is related to the graphics drivers, but we installed the most recent nvidia linux drivers for that video card, but the problem persists. Quite often cpu goes to 100% and stays there.

I generally feel that computers became less predictable, and any configuration is more of a hit-or-miss with a given OS.
              pixar

Comment

Ok, one problem... If I pin a program to start, there are two icons. And if I remove one, both disappear. They resize independently.
                No clue how to fix this, both seem to refer to the same place on the disk.
                pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                  Ok, one problem... If I pin a program to start, there are two icons. And if I remove one, both disappear. They resize independently.
                  No clue how to fix this, both seem to refer to the same place on the disk.
                  Try deleting profile. Backup your files, browser profiles and other stuff you care about. Create another account. Remove your previous account and delete your profile folder. Recreate your account (if you want same username) and restore your files.

Comment

It only happened for my portable apps. When changed the name of the folder in which they are, the duplicate shortcut issue stopped occurring.
                    Not a full fix, but it circumvents the problem for me.

The system yesterday did feel less responsive than before the update, although on my network connection that sometimes happens. When that happens, applications are slow to respond, and do things slowly, even though cpu usage is low. I will test it a bit longer but if it does not improve I will also revert back to the previous version. But it may just have been because of the network, like I had from time to time on the previous installation.
                    pixar

Comment

I had the same issue VJ, app launches, system's overall performance was slower, so I also reverted back to the anniversary build and disabled the automatic update service.
                      I hope Microsoft resolves this issue soon.

Comment

I had the problem sometimes before the update, usually at the same time when my internet connection was acting up, so I was not sure it was the update. Now it seems fine again. So for now I'm persisting with it...

Our sysadmin had 3 laptops where the update caused the ssd disks to be lost: even when booting from usb, the disks were not visible in the Windows installer. He filed a complaint with Microsoft and actually sent the 3 laptops back for service (there were still under warranty).
                        pixar

Comment

Drives not seen by windows installer can be caused by USB memory card readers. Recently I ran into this while installing 7 on a desktop with USB multi reader - solution was to unplug the reader for installation from motherboard.

Comment

Problem was that the computers were laptops: no possibility of unplugging other devices. I was not there, so I don't know if there are card readers in the laptops and if so, if they could e.g. be disabled in bios. Still, quite a big thing to go wrong.
                            pixar

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
                              I had the same issue VJ, app launches, system's overall performance was slower, so I also reverted back to the anniversary build and disabled the automatic update service.
                              I hope Microsoft resolves this issue soon.
                              Did you look in Task Manager to see if there were any processes eating up resources? Sometimes after new installs there is a process or two that will consume resources for a while, like rebuilding search indexes and the like.

Haven't seen these kinds of issues yet on my updates. Though I'm in Insider fast ring so I get all kinds of other issues...
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X