How fast does your PC boot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How fast does your PC boot?

Just installed Windows 10 the second time. First I installed it with the Bios set to "Legacy" boot. Took my new Kaby lake 22 seconds to boot to Win10.
    I realized that something was wrong knowing the specs...

7700K CPU
    Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7
    M.2 256GB drive as my boot drive on PCI-e 32Gbps
    Samsung 512 Sata SSD as my D: drive strictly for data
    16GB Corsair vengeance ram PC2133
    eVGA GTX 1060 GDDR5 6GB ram

So putting the OS alone on an M.2 should boot much fast, so after researching the crap out of it, I knew I had to enable UEFI in the bios and reinstall Windows.
    I did and now my boot time is around 6-7 seconds.

What about you?

I wish I could afford a GTX 1080TI LOL, one day.

My T540p with SSD boots forever since my install is from before the official 10 release - no time to reinstall. T420s with SSD and OpenSuse boots in around 11 seconds.

Comment

Definately slower now than when it was fresh. Up to what point in the boot process exactly do you measure it? I wonder whether in my case I my suffer a bit as it may load two instances of SQL Server, BOINC and some other stuff.

But with the M.2 950 Pro, I should be pretty quick indeed, I would think within 12 seconds.
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I'm surprised how fast a fresh installed Windows 10 x64 boots on a 7 year old core2 duo laptop. I haven't timed it yet, but for sure within 15 seconds. Surprisingly, it feels to take longer when you enter the password to login in, perhaps as then you are more waiting for it. I write surprisingly, as there is no other software starting up and I am not using mail or calendar. Before the reinstall, it had Windows 10 32 bit, which was upgraded from Windows 7 which in turn was upgraded from Vista (no clean install inbetween!), and that one was slow to start.

Just a quick heads-up regarding the fast-startup setting: on some computers, it kills wake-on lan. On my Asus Z97A-based desktop, WOL does not work when fast-startup is enabled. The explanation has to do with the different sleep states, as fast-startup does not really shutdown but goes to some sleep state and some systems cut power to their network adapter in that sleep state (but not in shutdown... ). And of course some windows build updates revert the fast startup setting, possibly rendering it inaccessible from a distance (Jammrock: I posted this already on the feedback forum).
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Hmm, 18.89 seconds to desktop after I enter the Bios password. And that with an i7-6700HQ and an M.2 Samsung 950 Pro...

It is not a bare boot. It loads two instances of SQL Server, DropBox, BOINC, and some tools, but still, it is slow...
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

With Intel Optane memory, boot up times and app launch times can decrease significantly. In my case I would have to buy a Z270 motherboard and a 32GB Optane SSD.
            In due time

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
              It is not a bare boot. It loads two instances of SQL Server, DropBox, BOINC, and some tools, but still, it is slow...
              Yes... but in a way it makes sense it slows things down.
              Although I'm surprised why starting other processes cannot be done more in the background. At the moment, they seems to start in the background but it still affects how the system feels in the mean time. On a system like the one you describe, there should be little or no problems starting these programs without affecting the UI.
              pixar

Comment

Timed it properly... Bootup is slower than I felt it was, around 20-25 seconds to login and another 10 to the desktop (after entering the password, immediately after bootup). After that, the system was still starting processes, but it was responding to my inputs. Full specs of the system

It is a clean Windows 10 64 bit, no Windows apps (such as mail, news, ... ) configured. All installed programs are set no to start processes at startup time.
                pixar

Comment

Working...
                X