Moviethread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moviethread!

Just watched a few movies in the last couple of days, and thought it may be interesting to share opinions on movies: most people here have some similar interests and maybe even similar taste. I watched the movies from TV recordings, so they are not the most recent ones. Feel free to add movies you saw to the list.
    I'll start.

The astronaut farmer: A nice, calm movie of a farmer (former test pilot) who wants to go to space and thus builds his own rocket. Entertaining, keeps you wondering if he is crazy or not and if he will try to launch or not (or where the story goes), and very well made and acted. The story is perhaps a bit naive, simplistic and lacks depth; the characters could be developed a bit further but it is ok. A few plot holes and a few missed opportunities, but overall good cinema fun.

The maze runner: A dystopian movie, where a group of young people with no memory live in a small area surrounded by a labyrinth. The story follows the perspective of one of them. The story is quite simple and not much is happening in character development, mainly perhaps because the characters do not know who they are or why they are there. This mystery is kept very long in the movie and only slowly new knowledge emerges. Near the end everything suddenly goes much faster and some answers are given (along with a few more questions). This is the first of a trilogy, with the second part already out and the third part set to come out in 2018-9, so take that in mind when you want to watch it: the end is open still with unanswered questions (I hope it won't be like Lost, that they add so much questions that it is difficult to come up with a satisfactory explanation). It is IMO beautifully made, with a very believable scenery and quite well executed special effects, often using sound and suggestion rather than directly showing things. Quite enjoyable, my girlfriend thought it went a bit too slow in the beginning.

Knowing: Nicolas Cage as a scientist who comes across a 50 year old piece of paper with numbers that foretell major disasters, and of course the last numbers refer to upcoming dates. Quite a "typical knowing the future but it gives frustrations and what to do" type of movie, but well made. Some of the scenes were overly explaining things that were obvious or should have been left to the viewer's imagination. Scenes were well made, atmosphere was well created although it sometimes felt a bit uninspired and just used very common and simple means to e.g. add tension. To some extent enjoyable but nothing surprising or special. IMO the worst of the three here.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Watched Doctor Strange. Very entertaining. Enjoyed it greatly.

I watched the trailer for Logan (the last Hugh Jackman Wolverine movie, rumored to be rated-R (17+)). This... looks... gooooooood.

Now on Digital HD http://bit.ly/Logan-YouTubeNow on Blu-ray & DVD http://bitly.com/Logan_amazonCast: Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Richard E. Grant, Boyd Ho...
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Doctor Strange was quite good, and of course Cumberbatch was terrific.

Logan will be Hugh Jackman's last turn as Wolverine, and the Old Man Logan (8 issue) arc only works well if they get the rating they want. Like Deadpool, this story isn't for language or violence wimps.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Duelyant

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Subscribe to INDIE & FILM FESTIVALS: http://bit.ly/1wbkfYgSubscribe to TRAILERS: http://bit.ly/sxaw6hSubscribe to COMING SOON: http://bit.ly/H2vZUnLike us on...

Recently watched this Russian movie about a guy who was lost on Aleutes in 1860's and natives performed some magic on him. This makes him unbeatable and he makes a living dueling aristocrates in St. Petersburg. If you like Russian novels you will like this. Though it's not a timeless masterpiece, it's entertaining and visuals are very good.
        Last edited by UtwigMU; 9 November 2016, 14:45.

Comment

Leave a comment below to get a custom teaser trailer featuring your reactionSynopsis: Rooted in the classic graphic novel series, Valerian and Laureline- vis...

The question is, good Besson or bad Besson...?
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Also wondering about that Besson movie... Trailer gives a bit of a 5th Element feeling, but the trailers for Lucy also were quite promising...

Wild Target: Light comedy about a hitman falling for his latest target. Fun movie, well played, Bill Nighy as the professional hitman seems to enjoy himself in the role.

Thrill Seekers aka Time Shifters: B-movie about a journalist who discovers that the same person is present on photos of different disasters throughout history. And then that person is on his flight... Even though it is a B-movie, with not many known actors (except for a small role for Martin Sheen), it is ok. Special effects are not super, but are kept to such a minimum so it does not distract. The story holds up quite well, which is often a problem for time travel movies. Even the bit puzzling scene at the start of the movie (which causes the journalist to take a leave and work on the disasters article) becomes clear. A film unknown to many, but really worth it if you like some time-travel science fiction that seems plausible. I have seen at a couple of times and to me it is one of those movies that can be revisited a couple of times. With a bigger budget and/or actors, I feel this movie could have been a bigger hit.
            pixar

Comment

Doc Strange was fun. Saw it last night.

Probably a good time to re-watch Idiocracy.
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

After Earth: It has been a while since I saw a movie that bad... The plot was pointless, the premise stupid, and even within their own universe everything was a mess... I was lured into recording it from TV due to the director (Shyamalan), actors (Will Smith) and media coverage when it was in the cinema, but no... just no...
                pixar

Comment

After Earth was a Scientology love letter - Will & Jada are Scientologists and worked it's themes into the film.
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                  X