Travelling gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling gear

my current job requires me to travel a lot, and I'm often in the US or in various European countries to work as a consultant with companies on software projects.

Due to frequent travel, I've started to appreciate small gadgets that make the life on the go more comfortable, and can reduce the amount of stuff I take with me while travelling.
    This thread serves as a list for some of the things I've grown to like a lot, and hopefully leads to advice on similar 'gadgets':

Desktop replacement phone - Microsoft Lumia 950 Dual Sim
    With continuum allows me to use it as a fallback device in case my laptop breaks/gets lost/is stolen. Requires more gadgets in order to properly use with mouse, keyboard and screen (see below), as well as an RDP server on the internet that allows access to any apps that cannot run natively on the phone (i.e. non-office apps).
    Dual SIM w/active standby, allows me to be reachable on my regular phone number, while being able to use a local SIM of the country I'm visiting to avoid roaming charges.

Miracast receiver - Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter
    For wireless HDMI output to hotel TV screen (or monitor/projector at a client). Can be used with Windows 10 laptops as well as Windows Phone 8+ devices, and afaik most Samsung Android devices. Google seems to have disabled it on recent Nexus devices, probably to push their home-grown Chromecast solution, much like Apple uses their homegrown Airplay solution. A shame!

Bluetooth mouse - Logitech MX Anywhere 2
    Can be paired with 3 bluetooth devices (w/selector button on button side of mouse), and can be recharged using a micro-usb cable.
    Cons: clicking the wheel does not toggle the middle mouse button, but rather works as a switch between continuous and non-continuous scroll operation of the wheel. The middle mouse button is actually located in front of the wheel, which is very hard (impossible) to reach when your hand is in resting position on the mouse. This is completely the inverted setup from my corded Logitech mouse, which has the scroll wheel toggle located in front of the wheel, and the wheel acts like third mouse button. Don't like this 3rd mouse button configuration on the MX 2...

External keyboard - Lenovo Thinkpad Compact USB
    Pro: exact same keyboard layout as my personal laptop, trackpoint and mouse buttons integrated
    Con: requires USB connection (i.e. not bluetooth), no backlight for working in low-light environments (i.e. late at night).
    Ideally I'd like a bluetooth version of this keyboard, with backlight, and a USB cable that can be used both for re-charging the internal battery and as a fallback connection in those situations where a bluetooth connection is not stable. Oh, and allow the keyboard to be folded in half when travelling. Unlikely to ever appear with these characteristics, one can wish...
    Logitech however makes multi-device bluetooth keyboards with backlight, that are rechargeable through USB. Unfortunately, they don't have integrated trackpoint + mouse buttons, and cannot be used as USB keyboard (the usb connection is charge only). It also remains to be seen if the Logitech's key travel and layout are as good as on the Lenovo chiclet keyboard, which is about the best that I've personally used, as far as chiclet keyboards go.

USB Battery charger - Xtar VC2 Plus
    Can charge most NiMH and LiIon batteries from an USB output, and can double as a powerbank when used with two charged batteries. Note to avoid the non-Plus model (plain VC2), as it does not support charging 1.2-1.5v batteries (e.g. AA).

Notebook stand - The Ridge Stand Pro
    Super compact notebook stand with a travel case. For mobile office, and of course requires you to use an external keyboard and mouse with the laptop.
    Pro: very compact, light, can hold a heavy laptop (MBP retina 15inch) and comes with hard-case travel back
    Con: relatively expensive. Picks up vibrations when put on a surface that's not 100% solid (lots of tables as I've found out). The air from an air-conditioning unit can cause the laptop to start shaking if blowing directly onto the screen when using this stand. If this is a concern, I'd recommend the Kingston Easy Riser laptop stand, which is much bigger but much more stable and dirt-cheap.

Electric Toothbrush - Philips Sonicare Diamonclean
    Comes with a travel case that includes a USB cable to recharge the battery. Lasts about 1.5-2 weeks on a single charge when used twice per day.

Noise cancelling headphones - AKG N60NC
    I've found that noise cancelling headphones to be essential on 10+ hour flights when you're sensitive to noise. It makes an enormous difference, especially if you can play some calming music to help you sleep for flights to the east (mostly US to Europe for me).
    Pro: good noise cancelling, can be folded into a compact pouch, 30 hour battery life, after which they work as 'regular' headphones on a cable. Good audio quality (although that's very subjective). Can be recharged through USB.
    Con: no bluetooth pairing possible, usb charging cable is device-specific and is easy to lose.

SIM card holder - Ibroz pocket SIM card holder
    Can hold up to 6 SIM cards; ideal when travelling to various countries and wanting to avoid expensive roaming chargers. Also contains a pocket for holding a pin to insert into the SIM slot of your phone when needed.

Power plug adapter - Skross World Travel Adapter PRO World USB
    Pro: covers a large range of countries. Comes with a USB charger built-in that can be used at the same time as its intended usage, and when removed can be plugged directly into most continental European power outlets without requiring the bulky bottom half that is needed for other sockets.
    Con: bulky and relatively heavy. Guess this is a downside with Swiss quality engineering.

Multi-tool - Swiss Tech Utili-Key 6-in-1
    Keychain add-on that looks like a key, but can be used for a variety of purposes (opening beer bottles, cutting through material, philips screwdriver, flathead screwdriver, etc.).

USB flash drive - Sandisk Ultra Flair USB 3
    Another keychain add-on that is very compact without getting lost, and provides extremely fast USB transfer for big files (e.g. VM images).
    Last edited by dZeus; 1 October 2016, 22:56.

Interesting post! I fully agree on the
    noise cancelling headphones: I have a pair of Denon, and while they do not sound so good when the noisecancelling is switched off, they are so nice to have on a flight. Mine work on a single AAA battery, for more than 30 hours (and I use rechargeable NiMH)
    Philips Sonicare: but I have the older model that that did not have the usb charging travel case - just a normal one and a small charger.
    Power plug adapter: I have the same model but both at Muji (so it carries different branding). At the time I did not see the point of USB (have it from before my phone had a USB charger), so I bought it without ; now I would immediately go for the model with USB.

And I really should check up on that battery charger...
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
    X