Where's Doc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's Doc?

Ddi we lose Dr. Mordrid during the last MURC outage or is something else goign on?
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

You know I've been wondering the same thing. Anyone communicate with him outside MURC?
    I also wish Brian would check in every once in a while.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Yes... I also wonder...
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I just emailed him through his Profile we'll see if he responds....
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I've been busy getting our youngest ready for college (M soon), getting our daughter & hubby settled in a new house and a few other things. That and my net tablet blew last month and is out for repair. The other systems aren't used for browsing, and right now I'm on my G4.

Anyone up for some SpaceX stuff? Serious s**t going on that not well publicized....
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
            Anyone up for some SpaceX stuff? Serious s**t going on that not well publicized....
            Sure

Comment

Glad to see you back here Doc Just catching up after a couple weeks away, cool stuff for sure!
              FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
                Just catching up after a couple weeks away, cool stuff for sure!
                I'd love to say "you missed some photos"... but ... no...

(hah, beat Umfriend to the joke )
                pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                  I'd love to say "you missed some photos"... but ... no...
                  I knew better than that!
                  FT.

Comment

Since we're in August a reminder that on September 27 SpaceX's Mars architecture will be presented, in detail, to the International Astronautical Conference (IAC 2016) in Guadalajara, Mexico.

This will at minimum include (working names)

Raptor engine: methane/LOX full flow staged combustion, which will be the first FFSC to fly. EVER. On the test stand.

The USAF is also paying for an upper stage version of Raptor to be used for their launches, set to arrive in 2018.

Big F'ing Rocket (BFR): much larger than Saturn V, it's expected to mass 5500-6000 metric tonnes with a 15+ meter core width (Saturn V: 10.1 meters). At least 15,000,000 pounds of thrust, about 2x Saturn V

Big F'ing Spaceship (BFS): an extremely large spaceship which doubles as the BFR upper stage, Earth departure stage, and a single stage to Mars orbit (SSTMO) Earth Return Vehicle. Several Raptor engines for redundancy.

Crew: up to 100
                    Cargo: up to 100 tonnes
                    Shuttle crew: 7-8
                    Shuttle cargo: 24 tonnes

Propellant tankers & depots: launches by both Falcon Heavy and BFR

First Mars landing (unmanned): NET 2022 (announced)

First Mars landing (crewed): NET late 2024 launch, 2025 arrival (announced)

Hang onto your hats as L2 has received inside info direct from SpaceX and wow....just wow. Ginormous.
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 August 2016, 10:41.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Just out of interest - what are good places (forums, blogs) to keep an eye on for that sort of thing?

Thanks,
                      W
                      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                      "Lobsters?"
                      "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                      "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Russia: http://www.russianspaceweb.com/

Industry: http://www.spacenews..com

Aviation Week: http://www.aviationweek.com/?nomo=1

General news: http://spaceref.com

Rocket specs & histories: http://www.spaceflight101.com/

F9 landing basicss: http://justatinker.com/Future/

NASA TV: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#public

NASASpaceFlight.com is a huge space news & forum site frequented by industry insiders, advocates and others from around the world. Posters should be very respectful of each other because you may have NASA, ULA, SpaceX, Boeing, Lockheed, Roscosmos or India's agency people behind that silly handle. Off-topic or irrelevant posts may get yanked without comment.

One of my favorite NSF posts was made by a NASA engineer who works at the NASA human spaceflight directorate. Speaking of NASA's prime Mars manned landing sites,

The report is accurate. Your interpretation is not. It's the current SITE A option. More options will be evaluated. Nothing has been selected as the official landing site, not least because that's too far away and SpaceX will likely have a base on Mars by then anyway.

Yes, I just said that.
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 August 2016, 14:40.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Big F'ing Spaceship (BFS): an extremely large spaceship which doubles as the BFR upper stage, Earth departure stage, and a single stage to Mars orbit (SSTMO) Earth Return Vehicle. Several Raptor engines for redundancy.

Crew: up to 100
                          Cargo: up to 100 tonnes
                          Shuttle crew: 7-8
                          Shuttle cargo: 24 tonnes
                          Wow... That is huge... I was not aware they were building something like that... So it dwarfes ISS?

First Mars landing (unmanned): NET 2022 (announced)
                          First Mars landing (crewed): NET late 2024 launch, 2025 arrival (announced)
                          That is fast... No idea a crewed landing was scheduled that soon....

Oh, what is the progress on those building a first stage launch platform from 2 Boeing 747?
                          pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                            Wow... That is huge... I was not aware they were building something like that... So it dwarfes ISS?
                            Yup. There are rules of proportion to rockets; the upper stage/payload are generally 20-25% the mass of the whole stack is one. So, IF the BFR stack is 6,000 tonnes gassed up then the BFS should be between 1,200 and 1,500 tonnes. The Shuttle orbiter was 109 tonnes, and the whole Shuttle stack 2,035 tonnes.

That is fast... No idea a crewed landing was scheduled that soon....
                            There's slop in the schedule as a slip means waiting until the next Earth-Mars close approach to hit the next window - every 26 months - for crew flights. Cargo flights aren't so picky. Therefore, NET = no earlier than.

Supporting the development is their McGregor TX test center. It's grown from 30 people and 250 acres to 500 people and 4,000 acres, with the staff ramping up to 1,000 in a few years.

SpaceX now supports a staff of over 5,000 people with 3 launch pads and facilities in Hawthorne , Palo Alto and Irvine California, Seattle WA, Chantilly VA, Washington DC, Cape Canaveral FL, Vandenberg AFB California, Huntsville AL, SpacePort America in New Mexico, and a new commercial spaceport and deep space tracking and U of Texas Rio Grande Valley education center (STARGATE) near Brownsville TX. Brownsville, aka Boca Chica, is under construction - a $100m project.

Oh, what is the progress on those building a first stage launch platform from 2 Boeing 747?
                            The Stratolaunch Roc is nearing completion in Mojave and will operate out of KSC, using the shuttle runway. It's one of the few wide and long enough to handle its 385 foot wingspan and need for a 12,000 foot runway.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 August 2016, 02:33.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

NASASpaceFlight.com is a huge space news & forum site frequented by industry insiders, advocates and others from around the world. Posters should be very respectful of each other because you may have NASA, ULA, SpaceX, Boeing, Lockheed, Roscosmos or India's agency people behind that silly handle. Off-topic or irrelevant posts may get yanked without comment.

One of my favorite NSF posts was made by a NASA engineer who works at the NASA human spaceflight directorate. Speaking of NASA's prime Mars manned landing sites,

http://www.NASASpaceFlight.com
                              Yep, that's what I was looking for - thanks!
                              "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                              "Lobsters?"
                              "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                              "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Working...
                              X