End of an Era....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of an Era....

Time for me to lose my "FanBoy" status I earned when Matrox Parhelia was released 14 (FOURTEEN?!?!) years ago...I just placed an order for a MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Sea Hawk X video card to replace my XFX Radeon 295X2 (that was a big waste of money!) that I have in my desktop.

I bought a Dell Inspiron i7559 laptop last December (was in the process of moving back to New Jersey with a new job) and the GeForce GTX 960M and its software support has impressed me quite bit vs ATI/AMD has been doing over the years.

I normally like getting a new GPU every 2-3 years and the 295X2 never really met my needs with gaming on my LG UM95 34 ultrawide screen monitor. If I ran games as a Window, Crossfire would be disabled and I was basically runnings just a 295 at that point in time. Hopefully the Geforce 1080 will handle things a bit better
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Congratulations on new card!

I haven't had a desktop since Parhelia times really (NF7S / XP 3200 / Parhelia) but lately I'm having a desire to build one.

Comment

I don;t actually game anymore, haven;t for a long long time. Except an occasional binge of Lords of the Real II, LOL. I'd play Fighter Ace if it still existed and am considering trying Red Alert again. Let's just say even my iGPU is more than enough, let alone the GTX960M in my lappy. Oh, and I might run through NWN II + MOTB at some stage again, but that can easily be run even for my 4K 25" screen from the lappy.

Congrats GT98! Enjoy the new toy. What will you be playing?
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post

Congrats GT98! Enjoy the new toy. What will you be playing?
        Been playing The Division alot lately....I picked up the new Doom during the Steam Sale a couple weeks ago. I'm in the process of moving (staying at the inlaws till August 8th, when I close on m house), so I won't have as much time to play games while I work on the new house (thankfully just cosmetic stuff!)
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Congrats on the new house. If you need advice on carpenting, renovating and stuff, VJ is your guy
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Congrats on the new house. If you need advice on carpenting, renovating and stuff, VJ is your guy
            I know some very good crews that will make the renovation feel like an adventure, providing you with stories your grandchildren will tell their grandchildren! But of course, if you just want boring renovation, where everything gets done, it is your loss for choosing someone else.

I'm also eyeing a videocard, some GTX1070 in particular. At the moment, I put it on hold as I may move to a different country for a while, making the card unused (I most likely won't take that computer). I have this love-hate relationship with games: I would love to game more, but hate to waste time with it (I feel I could be doing something better). That said, I'm perfectly happy playing old games, now I'm going through the entire Eidos Tombraider collection, to then start the new Tombraider my girlfriend gave me (it plays on my Intel 4600, but with low detail level) and The Witcher 2 (which we got for free in some promotion).
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I bought White March expansion pack for Pillars of Eternity but haven't managed to play it yet. Need to empty and paint the office I had been renting until the end of the month.

Comment

Again, VJ knows just the guys that'll do it for you.

Comment

Again, VJ knows just the guys that'll do it for you.
                  No. I'm not aware of anyone who can play Pilars of Eternity...
                  pixar

Comment

LOL, nice.

Ah yes, Pilars, may still try that one sometime. Just donwload Red Alert from CnCnet. Good times. Anyone here played RA online back in the day? Come to think of it, it was a conversation in Westwood Chat that led me to MURC!

Comment

Not Red Alert but this year I finished Dune2 on DosBox with all of the three houses.

Comment

Good to hear that I am not the only one who plays very ol games. Did Dune 2 as well in the nineties, what, 1994? Hated Dune 2000 though.

Comment

I never finished Dune 2000. Dune 2 and the old C&C games, pre-EA, are some of my favorites of all time. I'm sure I have a lot of the old CD's lying around. I should really work on converting them to VMs so I can play them from time to time.
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Good to hear that I am not the only one who plays very ol games. Did Dune 2 as well in the nineties, what, 1994? Hated Dune 2000 though.
                            Good old games are always fun. Last year we played the Monkey Island trilogy along with some other adventures (e.g. The dig). The fun with other old games (such as my old Tombraider collection), is that they play quite well on new systems. Suffering a bit with Tombraider 4 on Windows 10, but got it up and running (biggest issue is rather that the version is quite buggy).
                            Dune 2 was always one of my favorites, the game was so well done. Not too complicated (some similar ones just have too many options), but still difficult enough to make you keep your attention. I also plan to replay Syndicate - I never managed to finish that last level...
                            pixar

Comment

You guys do know about this? Most work in browser but Dune2 is too complex, need to use DosBox. I also like Ports of Call among the old games. I played it this year and created complex excel sheets and ran simulations to see which strategy is best.

Comment

Working...
                              X