We're back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're back!

Phew, I was getting worried! So much has happened... need to post to some threads...
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

I was affraid I'll loose touch with some of people here forever. I'm connected through different channels with TransformX, Sasq and dZeus but not anyone else.

Comment

I think I have Keifronts email address somewhere, that's about it I think.
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

We're back!
        I also was a bit worried of loosing the connection to some people I've known for... jeezes... 18 years?!?

I think I have umfriend's address somewhere... but I'm not sure I still have it (it was after some excel problem you helped me with ).
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Then I must have yours as well I would think. Funny that, even though this forum does not get a post everyday anymore I still like to come here.

Not just because I want to see pics of your appartment.

Comment

It would be good to have some agreed-upon alternate site to make contact in case murc ever goes away completely. I know Doc used to hang around the space.com user forums but those went away in favor of twitter, facebook likes and that bs. I hang around a lot at fark.com.

In a pinch we could start our own subreddit. I think we'd want it to be invitation only :P .

Or we could join star trek online (it's ftp) and create our own fleet!

Any other candidates?

Comment

I have been checking every night before sleeping. Thank God - what happened?

PS: I sometimes don't check in a few weeks at a time but if MURC is not available, I really feel as if I have lost a limb!
              Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
              ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Sasq ping me in PM. His host changed PHP settings and broke the site. Discussing a possible move.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                  Then I must have yours as well I would think. Funny that, even though this forum does not get a post everyday anymore I still like to come here.
                  Not just because I want to see pics of your appartment.
                  Amazing how you manage to fit that everywhere... But you are right... it takes too long... And we made a bit of cleaning this weekend, so it should be quite presentable. Photos may be coming soonâ„¢.

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
                  It would be good to have some agreed-upon alternate site to make contact in case murc ever goes away completely. I know Doc used to hang around the space.com user forums but those went away in favor of twitter, facebook likes and that bs. I hang around a lot at fark.com.

In a pinch we could start our own subreddit. I think we'd want it to be invitation only :P .
                  Or we could join star trek online (it's ftp) and create our own fleet!
                  Any other candidates?
                  I'm open to any of them... I would think Google group (I have one or two people from murc in my google circles), but am not sure how long lived it is and honestly never really use it.

Originally posted by Belwarrior View Post
                  I have been checking every night before sleeping. Thank God - what happened?
                  PS: I sometimes don't check in a few weeks at a time but if MURC is not available, I really feel as if I have lost a limb!
                  Same here...
                  I check daily, but am usually not logged it.
                  pixar

Comment

Murc comtemplating its own demise is a sad day indeed. I check in regularly, I rely on Doc for SpaceX updates (at least I used to but he's a little quiet now) for example.

A private Facebook group might not be a bad idea. I'll bet most if not all of us use it anyway, and it's not as is there's so much traffic we really need lots of granularity.

I've been meaning to check for a while, any news of Brian Ellis? His last post was a long time ago
                    FT.

Comment

Oh, as far as I am concerned, we stay right where we are. But there is always someone that needs to put in an effort.

I was wondering and found him still posting on some Cypriot site. Think he basically was done here. See https://disqus.com/by/disqus_hBaY57NYgl/. Thought about dropping him a line but I'd need to register.

Comment

You can use Twitter to reply on disqus. Basically lots of sites now use disqus for comments which means your comments are centralized from everywhere and they live forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                          Oh, as far as I am concerned, we stay right where we are. But there is always someone that needs to put in an effort.

I was wondering and found him still posting on some Cypriot site. Think he basically was done here. See https://disqus.com/by/disqus_hBaY57NYgl/. Thought about dropping him a line but I'd need to register.
                          Thanks for the update. Good to know he's still around and peddling his stuff.
                          FT.

Comment

haven't been here for a while, so i did not get the downtime, but i guess we really should have some kind of fallback like KRSESQ mentioned. Probably not as a replacement for Murc, but as a kind of information when the servers are having hiccups again.

So i guess we need a poll ..

I collected the suggestions so far:
                            • private Facebook group
                            • Google group
                            • one of the strange suggestions of KRSESQ
                            • VJ's apartment

Any other good ideas/sites that would fit? Or does SasQ have a website of his own where we could huddle together in an emergency?

R.
                            "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Originally posted by Rakido View Post
                              • VJ's apartment
                              LOL...
                              Would you risk that? I mean, do you know what it looks like? It may almost be up for renovations!
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X