Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ergonomic keyboard

Hello,

Anyone here using an ergonomic keyboard? I'm currently considering to buy that latest Microsoft Sculpt Desktop as my good ergonomic keyboard (Datahand Professional) is unfortunately in Belgium and I'm unable to get it soon.

If so, any comments on it?
    Or other recommendations?

Thanks,

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Have a look at Goldtouch.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I am using a logitech wave keyboard & mouse combo at work , its quite nice.

Comment

I think mouse is far more unergonomic than keyboard. So you could try something like Lenovo or old sealed IBM keyboard with trackpoint. Also you may try out a vertical mouse (where your hand is perpendicular to mousing surface.

Comment

Thanks... It is surprising how few there are from "common" manufacturers. Logitech does not have the wave anymore, and Microsoft has just 2 models that are more ergonomic. I have found GoldTouch online, but they are difficult to get by here; easiest to find are the microsoft ones...

One issue I have is that I use a mouse left handed, and ergonomic mice for left handed use are very rare. I use an old Kensington Expert mouse 5 (this archetype trackball, with a ball the size of a snooker ball dead center and surrounded by 4 buttons). I can manage a mouse with the right hand though, so an additional mouse would allow me to swap sides at times (main use would still be left handed though). But I feel the problem is worse when typing, rather than when using the mouse.

I bought the Datahand keyboard when I had more arthritis problems, but luckily they passed. As the keyboard is quite big, I did not manage to take it to Poland yet. Now however, I'm worried again as I have again issues with my fingers/hands. The symptoms more resemble carpal tunnel syndrome (for which my mother had surgery years ago), but it will take some time to diagnose and fix (if it is this; if not it will also take some time). So I don't want to wait long in buying something better than what I have now; and anything will be better than a normal low cost keyboard.
          pixar

Comment

Amazon.de has Goldtouch. Don;t they ship to Poland?
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Not all sellers and not all products... it is a bit of a mess...
              But I'm checking things, reading a bit more on the goldtouch. For now, it looks either goldtouch or ms sculpt desktop. On one hand, I don't want to spend too much (I have a good ergonomic keyboard that I can get to Poland in probably a few months time) and want to maximize the benefit (which means a wireless keyboard with all keys would be very convenient for future use in e.g. living room; even taking it back/forth to work). But of course on the other hand I want something good to use...
              pixar

Comment

Good news... according to the orthopedist, it is not carpal tunnel syndrome, but the result of a blocked nerve in the neck (combined with my rheumatic history). I already has a few fysiotherapy sessions, and it seems to be improving.
                But I'll still improve the ergonomics of my workspace...
                pixar

Comment

I just got the Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic desktop. It is weird, particularly with the negative tilt accessory added to it. While it feels strange to type on it, I actually started typing quite fast and natural on it, even with less errors than on the normal keyboard. Interesting, as I'm usually messing up keys due to too frequent switching or accidental switching between keyboard layouts (Belgian/Polish).

We'll have to see how it performs in the long run, but first impression is surprisingly comfortable.

The downsides are what I read: no indications of numlock/capslock (but the software pops up to show it). The different type of keys for the function keys does not bother me; they seem responsive. The fact that it does not have dedicated media keys (they are double usage with the function keys, with a slide switch to select) also seems fine for me. The mouse also is surprisingly nice, even though it would not seem so from first look.
                  pixar

Comment

Working...
                  X