Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

alternative ways to connect pc - receiver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternative ways to connect pc - receiver?

Hello,

Simple question... I have a PC which sports a small vga display (connected to onboard video card). It is also connect via HDMI to a home cinema receiver, which is connected via HDMI to a projector. Also connected to the receiver is a Squeezebox. Schematically:
    PC --vga-- monitor (1400x900)
    PC --hdmi-- receiver --hdmi-- projector
    SB ---- receiver

Now, what if I want the sound from the squeezebox, but project the image from the PC ? The receiver cannot be switched independently for video/audio.

One option is to do this:
    PC --vga-- monitor (1400x900)
    PC --dvi->hdmi-- projector
    PC --hdmi-- receiver
    SB ---- receiver

I don't think it is possible to clone both hdmi and dvi outputs, while the vga output has a different resolution.
    But is there a way to use a hdmi connection only for audio? The Intel driver has an option that allows audio over hdmi without video, but when the output gets detected, the monitor gets added...

Or any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Have you looked into splitters or just run cable from projector to receiver and then extender cable from PC to receiver.

Then just switch cables? Either connect projector in PC extender cable or receiver in PC extender cable.

Comment

Switching cables is a bit difficult due to the lack of proper access. I also would like to have it work without additional interaction... I would not mind having the PC directly to the projector (should give better quality as well: projector supports deep color (and some other standards the are younger than the receiver), but need to find a way to get the sound. I might be able to go with optical, although I'm not sure the receiver supports multi-channel over optical... even if it does, some formats would have to be decoded in the computer and recompressed to PCM.

The mainboard has 3 outputs (hdmi, dp, dvi), currently it by default outputs to the dvi, but when hdmi is connected (ie receiver and projector switched on), it output only to hdmi. I thought of an hdmi splitter, but fear a bit for compatibility issues. An option I just thought of would be to run a second cable to the projector, but it would be quite difficult to put it now - something for the next renovations .

I'll have to survive for now... I can run a squeezebox emulator on the PC when it is switched on... If I can manage to synchronize that one with the physical squeezebox, it would also work nicely...
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
      X