No announcement yet.

WOL in Windows 10 (but also 8 and 8.1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOL in Windows 10 (but also 8 and 8.1)

Ok, so I was trying to get wake on lan to work on Windows 10, which failed...

I went through all the bios settings and observed that it wakes from standby (state S3), but not from shutdown. Of course, I was thinking it related to some powersaving setting in the bios, or some driver issue. And then I found this answer:

WINDOWS 10 UPDATE: THIS FIX ALSO APPLIES TO WINDOWS 10 , IT IS EVEN MORE IMPORTANT,  BECAUSE WINDOWS 10 TURNS "FAST STARTUP" (read below) ...

And got it confirmed at the Microsoft website:
    Describes the different behaviors of the Wake on LAN (WOL) technology in Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Shutdown in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 is not a shutdown, but sleep state S4. This is done to achieve fast start, but kills all power to the network card. Disabling fast start changes the shutdown behaviour of Windows to go to the off state (S5), from which many mainboards can achieve a WOL.

So, just a heads up: if you want WOL, disable fastboot first...

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Nice find!

Comment

Update to build 1511 sets it back to fast restart...

Luckily I could see it on this computer (blinking power led), or I may have had a situation where I would not be able to boot it remotely...
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
      X