Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get the Galaxy Note 5 in the UK, so...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get the Galaxy Note 5 in the UK, so...

...Galaxy Note 4 or S6 Edge+ ?

I don't care about the removable battery or SD slot, but would miss the stylus of my current Note 2 just a little.
    FT.

I'd say you should also take Sony, LG and maybe HTC in consideration as well as JesusPhone 6S.

Comment

6S+ won't be available for quite a while, so I'm sticking with Samsung.

I've gone for the S6 Edge+.
      FT.

Comment

I'm extremely happy with my LG G4. Q-Pair'ed with one of their tablets makes for a neat combo.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Happy long time LG G2 owner here.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Seems like all you guys here are into portable TVs. What kind of trousers do you wear with those phones.

Even boss who is a very tall guy with deep pockets has given up on LG G3 (keeps it as a backup) for Xperia Z3 Compact and then iPhone 6. I also had the G3 for a while and it was unwieldy.

Comment

Up to now, I've also preferred smaller phones. But I'm beginning to see the point of a bigger phone: my iPad is too big to carry everywhere, and the cheap tablet 7" I got with my subscription is actually quite nice from a size point of view. I also got a smartwatch (SE LiveView) with my phone, and while I don't use it that often as the strap is not comfortable and I haven't gotten round to replacing it, the combination of a bigger phone with smartwatch starts to make sense... Particularly for me because I don't use my phone much for calling, and its screen is really at the limit for browsing. The watch can give notification when the phone rings.

I love the idea of the Huawei Talkband: a smartwatch with a bluetooth headset, but just as an idea; the whole thing seems too bulky. So I might go with a bigger phone for the next iteration, change the strap on the SE LiveView (and maybe later upgrade it to a different model) and just put the phone in a separate bag (but don't call it a purse! ).
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                Seems like all you guys here are into portable TVs. What kind of trousers do you wear with those phones.
                >
                Regular pants with a belt.

I wear it in a leather horizontal belt case, on my left side as my SIG is in an inside the waistband holster on the right.

The tablet is in a folio which has a very thin/light built-in bluetooth keyboard, and with a tiny bluetooth mouse it's a serviceable quad core mini laptop. Need external storage or a printer? It has a full size USB (and IR blaster) on one end if it isn't wifi. The folio fits nicely into a briefcase.

gpadf+folio1024.jpg
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 October 2015, 04:21.
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Be careful of Samsung phones/devices if you're an Android modder. Their in-house Exynos processor has no publicly available drivers. That means modders, like Cyanogen, can't build custom firmwares.

My wife got an S6 and the firmware stinks. That is normally the point where I switch to Cyanogenmod, but that's not possible because Samsung won't release the drivers. So we stuck and unhappy about it.

Stick with Qualcomm so you have options.

Or you could get a Lumia 950 with Windows 10 and Continuum support.
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
                    Be careful of Samsung phones/devices if you're an Android modder. Their in-house Exynos processor has no publicly available drivers. That means modders, like Cyanogen, can't build custom firmwares.

My wife got an S6 and the firmware stinks. That is normally the point where I switch to Cyanogenmod, but that's not possible because Samsung won't release the drivers. So we stuck and unhappy about it.

Stick with Qualcomm so you have options.

Or you could get a Lumia 950 with Windows 10 and Continuum support.
                    love to try the 950, but it's a bit larger than I'm comfortable with. My current Lumia 630 has about the maximum dimensions I'm prepared to use; larger screens are welcome, but only at the expense of decreased bezel size.

I hope they'll release a smaller model with continuum (and hope MS doesn't give up on Windows for phones, as Windows Phone 8 and up are actually really nice)

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
                      love to try the 950, but it's a bit larger than I'm comfortable with. My current Lumia 630 has about the maximum dimensions I'm prepared to use; larger screens are welcome, but only at the expense of decreased bezel size.

I hope they'll release a smaller model with continuum (and hope MS doesn't give up on Windows for phones, as Windows Phone 8 and up are actually really nice)
                      The 950 and 950 XL are the flagship phone that are getting most of the press. There is a smaller 550 that was announced too. Not sure if it has Continuum support.

My guess is that a 600-series may have Continuum, but nothing has been announced.
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Started using my S6 Edge + last night. Still getting used to Lollipop (there are pro's and cons over KitKat), but I am appreciating the slight narrowness compared to the Note2 it replaces. It is definitely nicer to hold but the screen doesn't really feel any smaller.

We will see just how useful the edge features are. They may be a bit of a gimmick. You can't look edge-on at the phone to see anything useful other than on/off, but if looking down from 30 degrees and above the info strip could be useful. The night clock is a nice idea if you have decent eyesight!
                        FT.

Comment

I keep setting up friends & family with Lumia 640 phones. Shame that it doesn't have continuum support, that would finally release me from maintaining an actual computer for my parents.
                          "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                          "Lobsters?"
                          "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                          "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post

with Microsoft heavily discounting the Lumia 950, I bit the bullet and bought a Lumia 950 Dual Sim. After some really bad experiences with the Amazon France customer service department, I managed to finally get it delivered from Amazon UK, albeit at a price premium (note, never let amazon logistics deliver expensive items to home addresses in the UK; when ordering from 'foreign' amazon stores, you are unfortunately not able to select amazon locker as delivery point).

With 3GB of RAM and the anniversary update (1607), Windows 10 Mobile now actually works quite well compared to how the 1511 release runs on the Lumia 630.

As I feared, the large size is an issue; with only a ~70% screen to phone body ratio, I feel that this is entirely unnecessary (there are phones with 75-78% ratio).
                            Otherwise I like the phone a lot. Camera is great, and the phone is extremely responsive.
                            I've played around very briefly with Continuum, as I only got the Miracast receiver for now, and did not bring a wireless keyboard on my current business trip. The USB dock is waiting at home to test.

Another thing I've ordered for the Lumia 950: a Logitech MX Anywhere 2 bluetooth mouse. I already have two bluetooth mice, but they only pair with a single device. The MX Anywhere 2 can pair with up to 3 devices, allowing me to get rid of the other two bluetooth mice, and use a single mouse with two laptops (work and personal), as well as the Lumia 950. On top of that, it's rechargeable with a micro-usb cable.

Unfortunately, I've read the specs for the application processor used in the Lumia 950, and it doesn't seem to support high resolution on both primary and secondary screen. FHD (1080) will probably be the max it can output when hooked up to an external monitor. Maybe a nice thing in future to have?
                            Microsoft could also add drivers to Windows 10 Mobile, allowing all kinds of USB devices to be hooked up. Apparently, a lot of USB ethernet adapters are already supported. I can see a whole bunch of niche use cases around this capability (such as smart card passthrough for RDP sessions for Federal clients, high-end USB audio solutions for musicians, etc.). Once I try the dock, I'll start checking what kind of USB devices in my collection get recognised by the phone.

So far haven't regret my purchase, as the Lumia 950 is now very affordable with the discounts, and I'm curious how UWP apps availability develops over time.
                            Last edited by dZeus; 29 September 2016, 14:27.

Comment

I say that as a user and fan of win10 on phones: it's a shame that this part of MS seems to be winding down.

W
                              "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                              "Lobsters?"
                              "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                              "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Working...
                              X