Turtle ID help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turtle ID help

Anyone know, or can figure out for sure, what species of turtle this is? If it is what we think it is... it may be endangered.

top.jpghead.jpgbottom.jpg
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Are you in N America? If so try this turtle ID page,

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Yes and I am, and I already have. Didn't come up with any conclusive results.

The turtle is 27 years old. We're the third family to care for it. My wife thinks it's a Northern Wood Turtle. The original family lived in Chicago at the time they got it, so it's plausible. We're just not sure.

Comment

When it pulls in its head does a trap door shut, hinged at the lower shell? I see the possibles as a wood, box ( the trap door) or a slider. Sliders are more common around Chicago, 2 of the 4 common turtles there being softshells, and the others in southern Michigan and Wisconsin.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 October 2015, 14:22.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I think it's a Painted Turtle. Looks like a Red Ear without the red ear. The center markings on it's plastron are questionable, but they are pretty variable on Painted Turtles.
          I don't think Northern Wood Turtles have those stripes on their skin.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Correct. Wood turtles usually have either a solid colored head or a 2 tone paint job, darker on top. Painted turtles usually have a lower, smooth shell. Slider shells are usually higher and "lumpier." Around here we have to be careful because of a large population of Snappers. Big ones.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I agree with cjolley.
              Looks like it's a Midland Painted Turtle

Comment

Is the upper shell dark and smooth, without raised segments? If so possibly, but if it's lumpy not so much.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                  Is the upper shell dark and smooth, without raised segments? If so possibly, but if it's lumpy not so much.
                  It's a pretty old turtle, so the smoothness factor might be less important.
                  It doesn't show up well in the photos, but there might be a pink or red tinge to the inside of the upper and lower shells. That's a Painted Turtle trait.
                  If it is a painted turtle it's almost certainly a Midland.
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

The shell is not smooth. I'll try to get a better picture.

The turtle does not have a trap door.

Comment

My Dad thinks it's a map turtle. Or perhaps a painted/map mix? I contacted the original owners. Waiting to see if they can solve the mystery once and for all.

Comment

It's not a Map Turtle. http://srelherp.uga.edu/turtles/grageo.htm

PS IMHO
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

I think the mystery is solved. It's a Central American ornate wood turtle. The turtle must have been imported, not local to the US North as I was told.

Even a well-acclimated Ornate Wood Turtle can be quite shy when first approached, but it will quickly peek back out looking for a snack! The Ornate Wood Turtle, is one of the most common wood turtles seen in the pet trade. They have been imported in large numbers in recent years. They can be quite […]

Comment

I don't think this is an endangered species so...hope you enjoy the soup!
                            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Does it overwinter outside in the northern US?
                              Chuck
                              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                              X