Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows photo viewer no longer opening files

Hello,

I have a problem with Windows Photo Viewer (the program that by default opens jpg and png) on Windows 7. It refuses to open any file, jpg or png... And I have no idea why or how to fix it. I've googled around but to no avail.

It gives a cryptic error message that it does not have enough memory (I think - it is on a Polish Windows), and suggests that I close programs and make more space on the disk. System disk has 116 GB free, memory should be enough to open a 800x800 png file... Other programs open it fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Hmm... If I drag the photoviewer window to my primary monitor it works. And when it immediately starts up on the primary monitor, it can show the files. I just fails to show them when it starts up on the second monitor...

I'm using an nVidia 9400GT with 2 monitors...
    pixar

Comment

Might be something to do with overlay or video memory.

Turn off overlay or increase video memory!

Comment

It is a dedicated card, so no options to change video memory.

Turning off overlay may be... but not sure how to do it. Either way, images work on the other monitor, so if I know that... still... weird behaviour considering Matrox had dual monitor working so long ago...
        pixar

Comment

Also it's a 7 years old entry level card. Can you try out a newer card?

As I remember, Matrox Parhelia had two hardware overlays which none of the cards at the time had. And when using triple head with Parhelia you had to turn off hardware overlay for video. I'm not sure when this feature made it to entry level cards.

Comment

It is my computer at work; I recently got a second monitor for it. But I won't be able to try another videocard.

It just surprised me that something simple as showing a photo on a second monitor does not work. Could be the overlay thing... so no big deal (or use another program to view images).
            pixar

Comment

Irfanview.
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
              X