No announcement yet.

We're #150 @ Rosetta@Home, improving the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting some better cooling and get back in there!

Mine's jumped 10c if I don't push up the pumps on the watercooler in the UK hot weather recently. But still only 60c. But other real life issues is taking up my time away from the computer, so it's not on to even crunch. Changing back soon though.

J1NG

Comment

LOL, yeah, guess I deserve that

Anyway, we lost RC Agent. RC! What happened?
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

So I've been out for a little while. While on holiday, the power adapter of my cable modem failed. Back now and up and running like ever before.

Meanwhile, we seem to be losing more active members than we are gaining. We're not even in the top #100 by RAC and that has not happened for years...
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Sorry... I have mine switched off due to the heatwave here... Past week the temperature went everyday above 30 and at night not below 20. The forecast for the next two weeks predicts more of the same... So work computer is off at night...
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I hear ya. I used to have it set so that it would run at less than 45C but now allow for 50C. I should check actually because whether the fan runs at 1200RPM or 2500RPM makes hardly a difference in temp...That can't be right, can it? Never been to good at applying paste and certainly not with this build when I forgot to take the plastic off the heatsink initially...

Comment

Should be breaking the 750k barrier inside next 15 days. On time to hit the 1mil barrier by end of year. But had a few crashes after updating to Windows 10 and some drivers as well (thinking it was a graphics driver issue). Hopefully it'll clear itself out after a few updates and patches, and maybe a tweak or two to CPU voltage later on.

J1NG

Comment

Anyway, I am back at 3.0Ghz from 2.8 and I had some downtime due to server maintenance but that is over now. Meanwhile, RC Agent and fechter (Wulfman) have Resurected! We're #69 by RAC and that ain't bad for a small crew at all.

@VJ, what's the weather now with you?
                @ZokesPro, do you still follow this thread?

Comment

Well, we're doing rather fine ATM with six active crunchers. I am still hoping Marshmallowman and VJ will Resurect soon. We need still a bit more to get to a pace of climbing one spot within every two weeks.

Comment

I was traveling a bit for work, and now need to catch up with some work, but I should resurrect soon.
                    pixar

Comment

For then: Welcome back to life!

Comment

Anyway, I updated the BOINC Manager to version 7.6.9 and for one reason or another it seems the scheduler is quite a bit more snappy and suspends/resumes tasks faster based on the preferences.

For those of you who bailed due to issues but would really like to try again (and that is all of you, I am sure), this may be a good time to try it!

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                          Anyway, I updated the BOINC Manager to version 7.6.9 and for one reason or another it seems the scheduler is quite a bit more snappy and suspends/resumes tasks faster based on the preferences.

For those of you who bailed due to issues but would really like to try again (and that is all of you, I am sure), this may be a good time to try it!
                          I hear you.... :-)

And I installed it... the workaround with the VirtualBox did not prove too successful: it quite often stopped due to lack of memory. I suspect my machine is too light for that. But let's try again...

A shame it is still not possible to e.g. limit the CPU during the day and during the night separately...
                          pixar

Comment

No, you can't.You can disable it during certain ours of the day and so force it to run only between, say, 1800 and 0700 the next day (at least I think, maybe only between 0000 and 0700...)

It is mainly the "Suspend when non-BOINC CPU usage is above X%" setting that I believe works better now, especially if you do a good combo like using 75% of processors and suspend above 25% non-BOINC usage.
                            What would be really kewl is if it could suspend individual workunits depending on load but well, ah, it does not.

Comment

Yes, it does seem to work much better... I have set it to work during night hours, but may set it even more than that... Just need to get this stupid program working: so many issues with rounding errors in the double calculations that my algorithm fails...
                              pixar

Comment

Float precision not high (or precise) enough for you?

Comment

Working...
                                X