No announcement yet.

We're #150 @ Rosetta@Home, improving the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. It would be a bit faster if like all MURC-lurkers joined but there are serios teams out there. In any case, we're leaving companies, universities and whole countries behind

Speaking of lurking, ZokesPro, are you at least still following these threads?
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Getting nice and cold here, will crank up another computer or 2 for heating.

Comment

Just a quick update:

1. Just past the 400k barrier.
        2. Still not registered enough writes yet to register any real change on SSD (500GB size and written more stuff to it also recently) despite 2 months of near non stop use with 10 minute checkpoint writes instead of the every minute write in Boinc.
        3. Some slow down will occur on my end temporarily as I get stuff done, but should easily be 3.5k a day work progress still.
        4. How's your experience with setting the write checkpoint going on your SSD's Umfriend?

J1NG

Comment

Congrats on the 400k!

So the SSD is now at 4.47TB and I would have to check how it has done since I copied the checkpoint write frequency change you found but I am certainly not worried.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman View Post
            Getting nice and cold here, will crank up another computer or 2 for heating.
            Great! Freezing over there already?

Comment

Was getting cold then it warmed up again...computer room got quite hot
              Then a Hard drive crash, spent a week pulling data off a failing RAID 0 array...

Should be able to crank things up properly this week after I have all my storage stuff sorted and backed up.

Comment

Somehow mine stopped crunching as it did not have enough memory... It was enough before... I increased the memory of the VM, but it is now at almost 50% of the physical memory (they don't recommend going above that). I hope it is enough now...
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Do VMs take memory statically or dynamically, I mean, should the VM require less at some stage, will it release memory? I always thought it would becuase that is how one runs many VMs on a system?

Comment

It should be dynamically, but up to the amount specified in the VM. I gave it 1.5 GB, and it worked at first. For some reason, it seems like it is again resource limited (restarting the VM does not help). I have increased it to close to 2 GB, but they don't recommend going above half of the physical ram in the machine. And I only have 4 in that one. For now, it is probably switched off, as I have a few quite stressful tasks at work. I'll try to power it up on Friday.
                    pixar

Comment

It appears to be down again/still. How many threads do you have running on it? I would almost suggest creating a VM per thread, say each with 1GB, as they would release RAM that is not used to the host?

Comment

Nah... it was down because it was down... I had some computer issues and had to reboot. As it was quite a hectic time, I forgot to switch it back on... It is back on now, and as it is a long weekend here, it should be up non-stop for the next 4 days.
                        pixar

Comment

And I guess it was but now you, Marshmallowman and RC Agent appear to have stopped...

Comment

thunderstorm shut them down..then I started palying with windows 10...so win10 computed units incoming soon

Comment

Mine had some downtime again: I needed the cpu power...
                              pixar

Comment

Well it is getting summer here as well and I have to throttle to 25% to keep CPU temp below 45C and that is with an underclock to 2.8Ghz...

Comment

Working...
                                X