No announcement yet.

We're #150 @ Rosetta@Home, improving the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is actually easy to downdate and I have many versions stored. What version did you likeand how would I get it to yu if I have it?

I am at 7.6.22. No issues although it tends to starve my lappy from WUs indeed. Not sure if that was better previously.
    Last edited by Umfriend; 23 June 2016, 06:19.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Can't remember which version I was previously using now as I hadn't updated for a long while, just for the heck of it decided to update since I thought to myself, the client MUST have improved right? *sigh* Oh well. Also on the same 7.6.22 right now where things went awry.

Will just see what happens next.

* Completed Work Units aren't uploading
      * Not pulling down new work units on it's own

Probably more issues not found yet. Very annoying. At this rate I won't be breaching the 2 million barrier by end of the year.

J1NG

Comment

Yoy can dl earlier versions I think and try those. I have 7.6.9, 7.4.27, 7.2.33 and some older ones. About 9MB. We'd just need a way to transfer. Let me know if you want to try one.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

One other thing you might try, and I think this wil help, through Options -> Cumputing Preferences -> Disk and memory, give BOINC a few GB more. I think WU's are getting bigger and bigger and there may be some waste as well.

Never a bad idea to, once in a while, stop getting new WUs, run the ones you have, de-install BOINC and delete the ProgramData files and then re-install to start with a clean slate.

Comment

Dunno what's happened, had a quick look at the Boinc client and saw no units being worked on at all. Started sometime in the last few days. Anyone have any idea what's going on? A quick glance over at the Boinc Rosetta message board didn't highlight anything for me.

J1NG

Comment

Yes, I have had this with the latest client. It seems to me it requests new work units at a lower frequency. My solution has been to increase minimum and additional work units stored (Options -> Cumputing Preferences) to 0.25 and 1 respectively. Seems to work for me.

Boincsynergy.com has been down for quite a while now which is a shame as it was my site of choice to monitor progress. No idea whether it'll come up someday again or what the best alternative is.

Edit: Apparantly, there is an issue and limited to no WUs are available. Sure it'll be solved "soon". https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/f...?id=5701#70158
              Last edited by Umfriend; 15 August 2016, 01:24.

Comment

I was offline for some time, but am back now. Still on an older version: it behaves so nicely (compared to the one before that), that I'm afraid to update... I don't want to mess it up...
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Yes, I typically save the installer files so that I can roll back. However, I never take note of when I change from which to what version...

Comment

Funny this. My lappy would not get new WUs no matter what I did while my server continued to be supplied.

So, pressed "Reset project" and, voila, new WUs.

Comment

Well, I'm approaching the 2 Million mark, and should be there at latest mid November, although realistically should be in next week or so. After that I won't be certain whether I'll be continuing full time or not, as life changes here. So just dropping a message to everyone so everyone knows not to expect much more from me after next week. If I happen to continue, great. If not, was a blast.

Likilihood is I'll continue in some shape or form, but as to whether it'll even be close to the same output level is another matter.

J1NG

Comment

I'll be offline for a few days/weeks, I need to run some experiments which. But if I would forget to restart it, please do remind me!
                        pixar
                        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

So it's been a few years but I just installed BOINC/Rosetta on the server again.

A bit of a pain. I am running WSE 2016 now which, apparently, is a DC(?) that does not allow for local user accounts(?) and that makes it impossible to run BOINC as a service as per the install program. I'm trying to run it through task scheduler, we'll see. We're #154 of the world with Rosetta (still! ) and I am still #1 in the team. Yes, Rosetta has a lot of Covid-19-related WUs for us to crunch.

The team name is Matrox Users. It appears Dan/Sasq runs a team MURC that has one user. If you read this Dan, come on over!

Comment

Bugger. It seems running as a task at startup doesn't quite do the job. So I'll have to investigate how to run this as a proper service which I am not to knowledgable about. On the other hand, if I get to do that, I might as well do the same with DropBox.

Any pointers how to easily do this?

Comment

We're climbing again! For the first time in YEARS! #157 now (but we'll drop tomorrow as team reddit passes us). https://www.boincstats.com/stats/14/team/list/0/100#157

And that with just one contributor...

Comment

On our way to below #200..... And that is not good news. Many new teams have sprung up with amazing processing power and I can;t keep up by myself....

Comment

Working...
                                X