Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SpaceX Falcon Heavy updates (Falcon Heavier?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpaceX Falcon Heavy updates (Falcon Heavier?)

Falcon Heavy launches this summer. They're targeting July 1st for the wet dress rehearsal (fueled up, practice countdown) and launch soon after.

The test stand at their McGregor Texas facility is nearing completion, and the 3 cores (center core and 2 liquid fueled boosters, all based on Falcon 9R) are under construction at Hawthorne, California. The pad mods at KSC LC-39A are progressing rapidly.

Falcon Heavy will be the most powerful rocket on Earth, capable of sending 53,000 kg to low Earth orbit, 21,200 kg to geostationary orbit, or 13,200 kg to Mars.

53,000 kg is more than the weight of a fully loaded Boeing 737-200.

Falcon Heavy concept of operations (CONOPS) video below, showing how the cores will return and land at KSC-13 after launch.

The plan for the booster cores to return to LC-13 immediately after separation, about 4-5 minutes after launch. The center core is to return a few minutes later when launching lower mass payloads. For heavier payloads it'll continue downrange, land on an Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship (ASDS), partially refuel, then relaunch and fly back to LC-13.

There is currently one ASDS stationed at Jacksonville, Florida. Another is under construction for their Vandenberg AFB launch site in California, and a third is likely for their Mars Crossing spaceport near Brownsville, Texas.

The new launch platform under construction at KSC LC-39. Looks like they're going to build a ramp to it over the old Saturn V/Shuttle gravelway.

The new horizontal integration facility (HIF) will be built just outside that pad perimeter gate. Its foundation is curing and should be occupied in a few weeks..

Did some screen caps from the video,

LC-13

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

@SpaceX
    Continued progress on Pad 39A and its hangar that will house Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy at KSC:

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Crop of a larger image showing the work on the pad ramps. Once they're prepped the mega-ramps go up to the elevated launch platform, complete with rails for the transporter-erector.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Last year's CRS-7 oopsie delayed both F9 Full Thrust and Falcon Heavy, and the LC-39A pad construction is just wrapping up due to funding delays caused by Congresscritters diverting Commercial Crew funds to SLS and Orion last year.

Falcon Heavy is now up for a November 2016 debut, and in 2018 it's scheduled to launch the Red Dragon Mars landing mission.

In addition to that, SpaceX is going to try landing all 3 cores of FH after the launch.

https://twitter.com/dannysparker/sta...43746543587329

@dannysparker
        @elonmusk For 1st launch of Falcon Hvy will there be effort to simultaneously land all 3 booster stages? #FalconHeavy

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/726301598398312448

@elonmusk
        @dannysparker yes
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Now that LC-39A, the pad used to launch Apollo 11, is ready to go Falcon 9 flights resume soon. Then about Q2 2017.....the sound from 5.1 million pounds of thrust rumble across the Florida coast.

The 3 cores, a massively reinforced center core is on the shop floor. The boosters will be reused Falcon 9's. It's due to launch military and commercial missions first, then a Red Dragon mission to Mars in mid-2018. A modded Cargo Dragon 2, which has about 12% more internal volume than Cargo Dragon 1.

"Falcon Heavy interstage being prepped at the rocket factory. When FH flies next year, it will be the most powerful operational rocket in the world by a factor of two."

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 December 2016, 15:16.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

.With the recent Falcon 9 thrust upgrades,

Max to Low Earth orbit: 63.8 tonnes
            Max to GTO: 26.7 tonnes
            Max to Mars: 16.8 tonnes (Curiosity & MSL: 3.8 tonnes)
            Max to Pluto: 3.5 tonnes (a medium commsat)

One side booster done, one in waiting and the mighty Falcon Heavy center core (#1033) on the McGregor, TX test stand.

Chris B - NSF @NASASpaceflight
            SpaceX McGregor now has 1033 on the test stand. Falcon Heavy Center!
            SpaceX FH : Falcon Heavy Demo : early 2018 : Discussion Thread 1

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 April 2017, 04:48.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

IT'S ALIVE!!!

The other two cores will be flight proven boosters, and they've already been tested; the F9 cores used for Dragon CRS-9 and Thaicom-8. Now need to upgrade the pad - needs 4 more stage hold-downs.

Once the pad mods are finished they can integrate the 3 cores into an FH, then comes initial rollout for pretty pictures etc. and some static fires to check vibration modes, plume interactions, acoustics etc. before flying.

It’s gonna be LOUD!!!

SpaceX ✔ @SpaceX
              First static fire test of a Falcon Heavy center core completed at our McGregor, TX rocket development facility last week.
              2:51 PM - 9 May 2017

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 May 2017, 14:40.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Yeeesssssss!!!!

And Falcon Heavy is a candidate to replace the Delta IV Heavy after it retires in 2023. Delta IV Medium ends in 2018. Delta is getting too expensive for the USAF at $400m plus for the Heavy and $250m for the Medium. FH will start at $90m.

Johnny Grinter @JohnnyZenith
                @elonmusk Please Elon, please tell us when the Falcon Heavy will launch.

Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
                @JohnnyZenith All Falcon Heavy cores should be at the Cape in two to three months, so launch should happen a month after that
                2:51 PM - 8 Jun 2017
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 June 2017, 21:47.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

With KoreaSat 5A launched the mysterious ZUMA mission for Northrop Grumman is next on the agenda for LC - 39A.

After ZUMA comes a 2-3 week shutdown of LC-39A, during which modifications to the Transporter-Erector will be made for Falcon Heavy. With that finished we have preliminary dates for the Falcon Heavy maiden flight campaign.

First the cores will be assembled on the Transporter-Erector and taking to the pad for fit checks. After that comes a wet dress rehearsal, during which they stand up the cores, top off the tanks, check for leaks and test the ground systems. Next comes these major milestones,

NET = no earlier than

Static Fire: NET December 15

Launch Date: NET December 29

No one knows what the payload is, SpaceX is being very secretive about that. There has been speculation about everything from a dead weight mass simulator to a sub-scale test version of the BFS Spaceship. We'll just have to see.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Fascinating to review the FH timeline... The delays are understandable for anyone who follows SpaceX of course. But I actually think we have a good chance of seeing it fly this year
                    FT.

Comment

Here's some more info,

They may have FH standing up at the pad before the end of November for fit and connection checks. Expect some very pretty pictures from SpaceX PAO.

There are two wet dress rehearsals (WDRs) scheduled, which is when they fill the tanks, test the rocket and ground support equipment then de-tank. At the end of the second wet dress rehearsal they say they will do a full 27 engine static fire rather than de-tank. IF the first WDR goes VERY well they may static fire then, saving several days. Will it move the launch date left? Unknown.

Merlin 1D engine startup is going to be interesting because of the possibility of thrust torque from multiple engines starting at once, which could twist the engine bay connectors. To prevent this, each core will start opposing pairs of engines with a short time delay between. The Shuttle SSME's did a similar staggered start for the same reason. This should be barely perceptible as the delays are going to be quite short.

There is also talk that the upper stage is going to be...unusual. it's been described as a Frankenstein stage, leading some to believe that some features of the BFS spaceship; most notably the thermal protection, guidance airfoils and other exterior control devices, may be tested in a recovery attempt of the FH upper stage. We do know that this upper stage was tested at McGregor and is at is now at LC-39A, along with the center core and the two Flight Proven booster cores.

A second landing pad at LZ-1 is nearing completion, so if all goes well we're going to see two 15 story tall rocket boosters landing side-by-side. THAT, my friends, is going to be a sight to see.
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 November 2017, 12:32.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Sandy Mazza ✔ @SandyMazza
                        Falcon Heavy's 3 cores are shown in the lower left corner at Aerospace Corp's launch-control room display, awaiting test fire
                        8:30 PM - Nov 30, 2017

(Crops of cores in SpaceX's LC-39A hangar)

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 November 2017, 22:00.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Folks, we have a payload - and they thought a wheel of cheese on Dragon #1 was something....

(RocketJoy is a SpaceXer)

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Fire and brimstone man, real wrath of God stuff when this candle lights up.

Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
                            Falcon Heavy at the Cape

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
                              Max thrust at lift-off is 5.1 million pounds or 2300 metric tons. First mission will run at 92%.
                              4:13 PM - Dec 20, 2017

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X