Announcing Windows ... 10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VJ View Post
    Yes, that is the obvious step... But I reinstalled it just 2 weeks ago. And the reinstall had issues: it refused to install to my SSD when other harddisks were connected (same dvd that did not show this issue before). So reinstalling may mean opening the case, which means removing it from a shelf, ... Due to some small renovations, not really the best time for that now...
    Tip for installing from USB (no tools or downloads required, everything is in windows already):

1) Format USB in NTFS in Windows
    2) Start CMD then type diskpart, confirm elevated privileges.
    list disk
    select USB key drive (select disk 1)
    list partiton
    select partition 0 (the one you just formated on USB drive)
    active (make partition active/bootable)
    exit
    3) extract contents of ISO with 7 zip or some similar tool or mount in windows and copy contents to DVD
    4) enter boot menu on next boot or change boot order and boot from USB

Comment

Problem is not the booting, it is the windows installer that mentions "cannot install to this disk" when the target is chosen. I found online that it is solved by disconnecting other SATA disks (and this works), but I found no explanation on why it sometimes occurs and not always.
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

My tip was more environmental. It's wasteful to burn a DVD everytime Microsoft releases new beta and throwing it away when next build renders it obsolete.

Comment

I have a few DVD-RW I use for the purpose. :-) If there is a new build and I just erase and rewrite it. I find it less hassle to make than a usb drive.
          pixar

Comment

I have a few DVD-RW I use for the purpose. :-) If there is a new build and I just erase and rewrite it. I find it less hassle to make than a usb drive.
            You just keep ntfs formatted (fat is really less reliable and both Mac and Linux can read/write NTFS) 16GB USB key around with partition marked as active. If I put other stuff on it the only problem is machine may not boot from it on restart if I forget to remove it and USB boot order comes first. Also not all my DVD burners are reliable.

To make install USB key:
            1) Download iso
            2) Right click iso > 7 Zip (7 Zip is free open source)> Extract to... > select E: (or whatever letter of drive is)

No need to muck about with any 3d party tools. Also this comes handy when you have big USB hdd around but not USB key and MS USB download tool refuses to use HDD to make install media. Once I had to install Windows on a computer, there were no empty DVDs on-site and I had no USB key but I had a WD Passport drive. I created 8GB partition on passport, formatted as NTFS, marked as active in diskpart (part of Windows) and extracted contents of iso there.

Comment

Each his own.
              Is the 10041 build available as iso (via official channels)? Or is the latest still 9926?

Reinstalling will be tomorrow morning.
              pixar

Comment

10041 got pushed on the slow channel. I backed up everything before update postpone limit ran out Seems OK, start menu works again, haven't tested all apps.

PPTP VPN and one program doesn't work (hasn't worked before either). Everything else seems normal so far.

EDIT:
                ISOs are available here:

Find help and how-to articles for Windows operating systems. Get support for Windows and learn about installation, updates, privacy, security and more.
                Last edited by UtwigMU; 25 March 2015, 17:13.

Comment

I started the install before I saw the isos, so I had the install run from the previous build and then upgrade (since then I've downloaded the new iso).

It all worked fine, except that I could not access the properties of the network adapter. Uninstalling it in device manager and reinstalling it solved the issue (I have that computer set to static IP rather than DHCP, so I needed access to it).
                  pixar

Comment

I started the install before I saw the isos, so I had the install run from the previous build and then upgrade (since then I've downloaded the new iso).

It all worked fine, except that I could not access the properties of the network adapter. Uninstalling it in device manager and reinstalling it solved the issue (I have that computer set to static IP rather than DHCP, so I needed access to it).
                    Had the same problem on a laptop with build 10041. Lost the LAN adapter. Deleted it and rebooted fixed it but after that the laptop ran like a dog so downloaded the 10049 ISO and reinstalled from scratch.. Goes good now..
                    paulw

Comment

I reinstalled build 10041, as the system was quite unstable. And now I've discovered that Civilization V does not work on it (just got it as a present). It seems known already, and some people comment that 10049 fixes it.

I've also started seeing a very annoying problem with the screen resolution: the monitor shows a different resolution (usually 1920x1080) than the driver is set to. The actual resolution seems to be something other than those two. It does not occur for all resolutions. Sometimes, when setting a resolution, the image is much too big for the screen. I hope this gets solved soon...
                      pixar

Comment

I reinstalled build 10041, as the system was quite unstable. And now I've discovered that Civilization V does not work on it (just got it as a present). It seems known already, and some people comment that 10049 fixes it.

I've also started seeing a very annoying problem with the screen resolution: the monitor shows a different resolution (usually 1920x1080) than the driver is set to. The actual resolution seems to be something other than those two. It does not occur for all resolutions. Sometimes, when setting a resolution, the image is much too big for the screen. I hope this gets solved soon...

Check your DPI settings. I have only problems where games get resized but shouldn't (fixed by compatibility mode). Enemy Territory, Civilization 4 (5 allegedly is not as good as 4), Pillars of Eternity, Valkyria Chronicles work with 10041.
                        I have no problems except minor annoyances with the way they changed a few things with 10041.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                          Check your DPI settings. I have only problems where games get resized but shouldn't (fixed by compatibility mode). Enemy Territory, Civilization 4 (5 allegedly is not as good as 4), Pillars of Eternity, Valkyria Chronicles work with 10041.
                          I have no problems except minor annoyances with the way they changed a few things with 10041.
                          I have a program that complains about DPI settings if they are not set to no scaling, so it is set ok. The Civilization V problem seems to have to do with DirectX: it starts, but crashes (mostly on the screen that describes the civilization, sometimes after the first move). It seems to be a common problem, and many people have it on this build, so that is not such a big deal.

The resolution problem started - I think - with the latest Intel HD4600 driver, which came automatically. However, I have seen the problem on earlier builds. It is annoying as I have one VGA monitor which has native resolution 800x480, but max resolution 1920x1080 (at which nothing is readable). Just like when I had the issues before, the driver messes up this display: the display itself shows a different incoming resolution from the set resolution and it seems to me that the real resolution is even different from those two. It got solved before, it will get solved now, but it is a bit annoying: only in 1920x1080 it works ok.
                          Last edited by VJ; 20 April 2015, 07:41.
                          pixar

Comment

Pretty much all of my video problems have gone away with build 10049 and the latest round of video drivers. I won't say all, but it's way more stable.
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
                              Pretty much all of my video problems have gone away with build 10049 and the latest round of video drivers. I won't say all, but it's way more stable.
                              Ok... so moving to the fast channel to get 10049....
                              pixar

Comment

It also fixed all my video issues. Even Civilization V runs (which meant no sleep till midnight... )! And the video modes on the small screen are back to normal. Even the HDMI outputs again even when it is not used for video - this went on/off with the updates, regardless of driver setting. Nice!
                                pixar

Comment

Working...
                                X