No announcement yet.

Announcing Windows ... 10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He, I already get freaked out when my own computer tells me I do not have access rights to my files on my own disk and makes me go through great pains to take those rights (which, in some cases just won't succeed). Let alone I'd have to deal with something like that.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Build 9879 breaks all the metro apps for me. It's OK since except for weather and stock ticker I don't use any of them.

EDIT: found a solution In elevated command prompt type

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xm

this made only store work.

Blowing away your user profile and logging in clean profile fixes it.
      Last edited by UtwigMU; 15 November 2014, 11:22.

Comment

I haven't moved to that build yet...

Stupid question: how do you reorganize the start menu? Simply drag & drop does not work, and I can't seem to find the folder structure for it...
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Which side are you trying to organize?
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The menu when you click the "startbutton" and then "all apps". Before you could rightclick and go to the folder structure (for all users or for current user), or you could simply drag and drop.
            There are just so many apps (e.g. the default ones), and I would like to put them together in one folder...
            pixar

Comment

Don't think that's available yet.

Submit it as feedback. The more people who voice the opinion the more likely it will get changed.

Comment

It appears that the next build of Win10 will change the kernel version from 6.4 to 10.0.

According to the latest bits of information about newer builds of Windows 10, the kernel version is showing up as 10.0 which is a huge jump from 6.4 in the previous builds

First major version change since the XP to Vista jump.

Comment

I hope this doesn't break compatibility with applications...
                  So far, quite happy with Windows 10, although there is a weird behaviour I cannot replicate properly.
                  My system has 2 monitors: one small vga panel with native 800x480 resolution (but accepts input to 1920x1080) and a full HD projector (connected via a receiver). The intel driver is set for single monitor.
                  The system behaves as I want: when the projector is switched off, the small panel shows (it is set to 1440x800 or so); with the projector on, the small panel goes blank and the image goes to the projector. Perfect! But...
                  The scale of the icons on the desktop is off. Sometimes on the projector they appear too big as if scaled to match the size on the small screen, sometimes they appear fine. I have no idea when what situation occurs...
                  Last edited by VJ; 24 November 2014, 07:18.
                  pixar

Comment

I moved to build 9879, and it is bad...

I experience regular blue screens (e.g. after waking up from sleep), explorer crashes (clock not updating or disappearing, start menu and icons not refreshing properly, ...). There was an update yesterday it is said to improve explorer stability, so I'm hoping it fixed it...

I also have problems with a game, The Witcher 2, which experiences huge input delays (1s), and I have no way of solving it. I tried all suggestions I could find. I suspect it may be some thing with directx9 compatibility (it is an old game), but at the moment it is not playable...
                    pixar

Comment

Win10 build 9879 hasn't caused problems for me, but I've been busy with house stuff I haven't used it much.

The latest dev build of Windows Phone 8.1 however... not happy.

Comment

I noticed certain apps cause explorer to memory leak, like mail.ru agent (russian IM), if I close it/remove it from auto start, explorer behaves better, clock doesn't stall, ... - so VJ I recommend you disable startup or close commonly used apps and see which one is messing up explorer.

The problem now is all USB died, I have to manually search for drivers in device manager for USB thumbdrives, the android media transfer and my banking certificates .net USB key won't install. Untill I can find time to reinstall this, I'll probably root my phone, install bash and just mount smb shares

Also if you shutdown XP machine in VMware workstation running on 10, the computer freezes. I do send feedback though I'm seriously considering going back to 7.

I tried IL2 Sturmovik and it's unplayable.
                        Last edited by UtwigMU; 3 December 2014, 18:58.

Comment

I had the .NET Framework crash on me today. Caused all modern apps to fail

Guess there are some serious problems with this build. There's a roll-up available through Windows Update that has helped some.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
                            I had the .NET Framework crash on me today. Caused all modern apps to fail

Guess there are some serious problems with this build. There's a roll-up available through Windows Update that has helped some.
                            Create another account, delete your account (back up data first), and recreate it.

Comment

There is a new build 9888, available on usual file sharing sites.

After being outed last week in an unofficial video previewing some of its new features, Windows 10 build 9888 has reportedly leaked and is now starting to appear on file sharing sites.

Since my 9879 is fubared beyond repair at this point I might as well try installing that.

Comment

9888 fails to install, clean install fails to get to desktop on firs restart, back to 9860 and slow channel.

Comment

Working...
                                X