Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new computer on order: OS suggestions? Windows 9?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new computer on order: OS suggestions? Windows 9?

Hello!

Finally, I've ordered a proper replacement for the core i7 (LGA1366) computer that UPS dropped. It should be on its way from Germany, but GLS already notified us they had some issues and it has a delay...
    Still, I'm waiting for it: Asus Z97-A, Intel Core i7-4790k (I don't intend to overclock, but it was cheaper than many lower models due to a cashback action), 8GB, SSD boot disk, ...

Umf: yes, I will run boinc on it for a while, just to test system stability.

Now, what would you guys do for OS? I would go with Windows, due to softwares I intend to use.

Windows 7
    • more expensive than 8.1
    • probably more expensive upgrade to 9
    • known system
    • stable

Windows 8.1
    • unknown to me, never used it
    • will be quickly superceded by Windows 9, which changes the interface again
    • cheaper than 7
    • most likely easier upgrade to 9

I was thinking for now to put either a Windows 7 without activation (it works for 30 days), or to put a Windows 8.1 Enterprise 90 day trial, and hope that Microsoft will release the public beta of Windows 9 soon. There are rumours concerning September 30th as a day with an important announcement by Microsoft... For a few months I could even survive with Linux on it...

Any thoughts?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Thx for running Rosetta ;-)

I recently had to buy my youngest daughter a laptop. I was lucky to find a decent deal on a Lenovo that still came with W7. That'd be my pick. By the time it is no longer supported, W10 will be out. Now *if* W9 allows for a UI that is like W7/Vista/XP/NT then that might change things for me but as long as the desktop/start is a workaround to alleviate the massive complaints somewhat, I'll avoid it like the plague.

Yes, I have issues with Microsofts UI design choices.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

The usual disclaimer: I work for Microsoft but have no inside information into anything that has not been officially announced. Everything below is speculation based off reliable Internet rumors.

The Sept 30 announcement will be the next Windows. I think there is a 99% chance it will be called Windows 9, but not even I will know for certain until the 30th.

Rumor is the public preview (aka beta) will be released the 30th or shortly thereafter. The current reliable rumor is October some time.

A German site released videos of a recent Win9 build. The start menu is back, but in hybrid form. The program list we know and love from Win7 is on the left, with the modern apps on the right. Search is baked in to the start menu, back from Win7.

Last week we had leaked screenshots and even videos from Windows 9 build 9834, and now new screens have appeared from build 9841, or what might well be very close to the actual Technical Preview. W…

You have the option of using the Start menu or the Start screen. The "modern" apps are not going away, as that is critical to the universal app strategy (build one app, run it on all versions of Windows). But they are not annoying to use anymore.

Modern apps can run windowed on the desktop, in addition to snapped or full screen. This means you don't have to leave the desktop to run apps, or try to get snapping to work. They look like any other app on the desktop.

You can now do multiple desktops, similar to x-windows from the Unix/Linux world, if the leaks can be believed. This has been possible for a long time, it is just the first time it has been baked into Windows out of the box.

... in other words, Win9 will work how Win8 should have.

Should be an interesting show on the 30th.

As for what to use in the interim, give Win8.1 a try. If you plan on moving to Win9 anyway it is cheaper, has more stuff built-in and will make using 9 easier.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Mint linux, install virtual box and run windows as a VM, though I am quite suprised on the number of windows programs you can run in mint 17 "natively" via wine out of the box.

Get whatever windows you can get for cheap as running it in a VM will give you some buffer from windows grief.
        Windows 8 is cheap and will give you longer support and with a bit of work you can avoid the metro crap without installing any 3rd party fixes.
        I still prefer win 7 for dev/work but with support for win 7 start closing next year, I don't think its a good idea to spend money on windows 7(go for it if you have a spare license)

Maybe Jammrock can give some insite...but is MS still trying to get windows onto a subscription model in windows 9?

I have been running mint 17 cinnamon and windows 7 in a VM for a few months , it has been great.
        Machine is used for development and as a file servers.(and boinc)
        I even got XMBC in mint to work with my MediaPortal TV server.

My games machine runs win 8.1 and I do like the performance and the usabilty is good(for home entertainment use), But the unreliabilty and obtuseness of win 8 for work duties made me build my mint/win7 machine for development duties.
        (like the raw power for compiling , hated everthing else about windows 8 in work setting)

Comment

Windows 8.1 update 1 is OK, you can boot to desktop or get one of free start menu replacement apps, they fixed some annoyances.

The problem is 8.1 is more tied to hardware than 7 which you could activate with OEM version if your machine had keys in BIOS. Your strategy to wait for beta might be good as you can then run beta until 9 RTM and you can probably just upgrade from beta to RTM without having to reinstall.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman View Post
            Maybe Jammrock can give some insite...but is MS still trying to get windows onto a subscription model in windows 9?
            I couldn't comment, even if I had, which I haven't. Even if a subscription model comes up for Windows I'm sure it will be done in the same way as Office.

You can buy stand alone Office for a one time fee, if that's how you want to do it. You get the traditional product and, when you want the newer version, you do a one time fee to upgrade. Or you can do the subscription model. The subscription model works well for some because of the added benefits. Whether the benefits are worth the cost depends on your circumstances (the number of installs you want, mostly).

If Windows does go subscription based, I would guess it would be as part of a bundled deal with Office 365. Something like $14.99-$19.99/month for Office 365 Home + Windows 9 on up to 5 systems (plus Office on 5 tablets), or $9.99 for a single system. Tack on 1+ TB of OneDrive (Dropbox-like cloud service from Microsoft) per user and the Skype minutes and it could be a good deal for a home with many devices.

But again... I haven't heard anything official or unofficial about Windows going subscription based. This is purely speculation on my part.

Comment

It arrived! Now waiting for the mounting kit for the cooler (I will reuse a Noctua, but needed to order the 115x kit).

I hope it doesn't turn into a subscription model for Windows... I'll for now put Windows 7 for a 30 day trial, and see after that. I can evaluate which asus software I want to use. :-) After that, it will be the Windows 9 beta, I hope it will come out in time. :-)
              pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                I hope it doesn't turn into a subscription model for Windows...
                Like I said, even if a sub is offered I'm 100% certain a traditional one-time, one-license purchase option will still be available. System builders and OEMs would revolt if MSFT tried to force subscriptions for Windows.

Hell, I would revolt.
                Last edited by Jammrock; 25 September 2014, 13:03.

Comment

There is a SLIC 2.1 BIOS around for Z97, so you can use 7 longer (untill it's supported) if you want.

SLIC is fantastic, I have some customers with mostly HP gear, some boxes came with Vista. I ordered 7 licenses but instead of using one time MS activations, I just flashed latest HP BIOS which includes SLIC 2.1 activation. Then I installed from MS supplied OEM media and used HP xrm-ms cert and HP key.

You can also do slmgr /rearm after end of 30 days for up to 120 days (and then regedit to reset rearm count).
                  Last edited by UtwigMU; 26 September 2014, 04:43.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                    There is a SLIC 2.1 BIOS around for Z97, so you can use 7 longer (untill it's supported) if you want.

SLIC is fantastic, I have some customers with mostly HP gear, some boxes came with Vista. I ordered 7 licenses but instead of using one time MS activations, I just flashed latest HP BIOS which includes SLIC 2.1 activation. Then I installed from MS supplied OEM media and used HP xrm-ms cert and HP key.

You can also do slmgr /rearm after end of 30 days for up to 120 days (and then regedit to reset rearm count).
                    The computer does not come with an OEM installed system, so using SLIC is questionable. I forgot that the rearm can be used to extend the trial, so that is good in case Windows 9 beta does not come out in 30 days.

The cooler I had lying around does not fit with everything else in the case. I knew it was going to be a tight fit, so wanted to try it. As it does not work, I'll get a different cooler (already found one, just have to order it).
                    The build is a bit delayed because of this: a new windows will be installed on Tuesday... So again some renovations mess and cleaning. But perhaps by next weekend it should be possible to put some things together...
                    pixar

Comment

The Windows 10 preview is announced, and should be today... as my CPU cooler just arrived, and I would have it tomorrow, I can only then start putting the system together...
                      pixar

Comment

Win10 is now available, but with limited languages. English (US and UK), Chinese, and Brazilian Portegese.

Find help and how-to articles for Windows operating systems. Get support for Windows and learn about installation, updates, privacy, security and more.

Comment

Working...
                        X